English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.OtherUAE

Old 21 May 2021, 18:32   #61
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

>if your goal is to swap files and put them in the morphos system

Yes, I just need to be able to move files into and out of the emulated MOS environment.

>you can use for example "googledrive" and directly download the files you prepare.

I only have limited bandwidth so uploading and downloading everything would not be at all practical.

>Or an easy way is to use winuae and mount the .img file and move everything you need into it and then mount your .img again with qemu

I tried this without success; WinUAE does not seem to be compatible with the format of the IMG file (says there are too many cylinders).
Old 21 May 2021, 19:23   #62
White

@Minuous
if you use linux for example:
this can be a good method
create an .iso with your 4gigabyte data

qemu-system-ppc -machine mac99, via = pmu -rtc base = localtime -m 2048 -device ati-vga, guest_hwcursor = true -boot d -prom-env 'boot-device = hd:, \ boot.img' - bios /home/white/Downloads/openbios-qemu.elf -vga none -serial stdio -device ide-hd, drive = hd-drive, bus = ide.0 -drive file = '/ home / white / Downloaded / morphos. img ', if = none, id = hd-drive, format = raw -net nic, model = rtl8139 -net user -cdrom /home/white/Downloads/your-iso.iso <--- YOU ISO

you should find your .iso on the morphos desktop and then be able to move your data within the morphos system

it also works for windows I guess but I can't recommend the exact command line for windows

Last edited by White; 08 December 2022 at 13:35.
Old 21 May 2021, 19:24   #63
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by White View Post
to move entire archives inside morphos for example a usb stick or an external usb hd with the demo-scenes which filesystem is supported fat32?
Do you mean that you would like to backup files and directories into a USB stick/HD without packing them into an archive (lha, tar...)? If a USB stick/HD is in FAT32 and you copy Amiga/MorphOS files into it, you lose Amiga specific file attributes and comments, which isn't nice. But of course if files you copy aren't using any special attributes, then it might do too... but if you want to be sure everything will stay as they are on the HD, then you should think how to proceed.

There are several solutions to this. If you want to keep the stick in the FAT format, you can create an image file on it, and mount the image when copying files into it. You can even encrypt it for security with the TrueCrypt based Kryptos application which comes with MorphOS. Instructions how to do it can be found there. If you don't want to encrypt it, making a simple image file and mounting it with FileImageCtrl will work too.

Another option is just to format the USB stick to some other filesystem. You can change partition layout to RDB with the HDConfig tool, and then just format the partition(s) like regular HDs to SFS, for example. I've been using this option myself for backupping... I have external USB HD in SFS and also some sticks. Remember the filesystem limits when creating partitions, but you can of course create several paritions to a USB device too (I have 2 x 128GB partitions on my 250GB USB HD). Here's a tutorial how to prepare a CF card for classic Amiga in MorphOS... you can take some advice from there, but if you're formatting USB stick to MorphOS only use, you can skip the custom filesystem identifiers and just use the predefined filesystems.

Third option that comes in my mind now is that if you have MorphOS SDK installed, you could use the Tar command from it to archive files into single file without compressing them (it's faster). The MorphOS version of Tar preserves Amiga/MorphOS attributes if you use the --xattrs option. This would be much faster than LHA'ing them.
Old 21 May 2021, 19:41   #64
White

@jPV
Thanks once again for all the advice :-)
Now I prepare the whole system
I have been wanting a modern system together with amiga for years :-)
Old 21 May 2021, 20:44   #65
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

@White:

Yes, making ISOs is a possibility for importing data into the guest, however I also need a way to export data back out again.

@jPV:

I tried a USB stick but that does not work, it is not seen by MOS/QEMU.
Old 22 May 2021, 01:46   #66
AMIGASYSTEM

Minuous create a second HardFile and share it with WinUAE !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
I tried this without success; WinUAE does not seem to be compatible with the format of the IMG file (says there are too many cylinders).
From MOS you have to create the harddisk so that it is supported by WinUAE, if you want I can give you my empty 2GB hardfile.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 04 July 2021 at 11:04.
Old 22 May 2021, 10:07   #67
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

@AMIGASYSTEM:

OK, please attach it compressed ;-) and I will try that.
Old 22 May 2021, 12:04   #68
AMIGASYSTEM

Attach link Empty HardFile 2GB SFS "non bootable", if you want can be activated bootloader by HDToolBox.

HardFile is compatible with OS3, OS4 or AROS 68k that uses SFS filesystem

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qaH...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 22 May 2021 at 14:43.
Old 22 May 2021, 13:58   #69
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Thanks. Empty hardfile is 378Mb? I will have to grab it in a few weeks when I have more transfer capacity, hopefully it will still be there.
Old 22 May 2021, 14:48   #70
AMIGASYSTEM

Yes the size is 378Mb because the Hardfile was created by MOS on Qemu and inside there was my data that I deleted.

The download will be available until you download
Old 03 June 2021, 03:54   #71
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

@AMIGASYSTEM:

OK, I've downloaded it now. Thanks.
Old 08 August 2021, 13:16   #72
White

@Minuous
if you are still interested in mounting a usb stick with qemu
I solved it like this:
sudo lsusb
then for example:
sudo lsusb -s 1: 6 -v | grep "id"

then add this to your line for example:
-usb -device usb-host, vendorid = 0xeba4, productid = 0x7588
or also to try:
-usb -device usb-host,hostbus=1,hostaddr=6

this will directly mount a real usb stick inside morphos.

here you can find an example of how I mounted the USB stick and the related commands:
[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by White; 08 August 2021 at 13:25.
Old 08 August 2021, 18:50   #73
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

@White:

Noted, thanks.
Old 29 August 2021, 04:29   #74
Hypex

Hi guys. I thought I would give this a shot. But I ran into a few problems. If it wasn't for the fact my Macs are unreliable I wouldn't bother with emulation. I'm using Linux so had to compile it myself. I did install it from manager but it was too old.

I managed to get it booting but then face three main problems:
1. The screenmode is too big and scaled on my laptop. I can't read the fonts. So I need to squint and drop it down from MUI settings on every boot. When I looked it up I found QEMU cannot set or restrict the display mode which seems like an oversight.

2. It cannot install to a fresh HDD image. I set up a fresh HDD image as a cow (moo) but the IWizard did not like a fresh HDD. It kept asking for Boot. I didn't know if it wanted a boot CD or boot HD. Does it only fresh install to Mac formatted HD or is this an emulation problem?

3. I cannot get it to boot HDD. I tried blessing it, reinstalling on another image pre-formatted as HFS and playing with boot options. Off HDD it always hangs while booting in BIOS. So I always need to boot off CD and change screen mode to test it it. I tried to boot off "c" and "d". I tried copying and booting off the "\mac_ppc32\boot.img" and nothing works.

Does anyone else face these problems and know how to solve them?

My failed boot line:
Code:
qemu-system-ppc -machine mac99,via=pmu -m 512  -boot d   -prom-env "boot-device=hd:,\boot.img" -bios '/home/damien/Downloads/openbios-qemu.elf' -serial stdio -vga none -device ati-vga,guest_hwcursor=true -hda /home/damien/Images/MOSHD.img
Old 29 August 2021, 10:08   #75
waldiamiga
morphos.pl

Take a look at my syntax. I am using Windows

Code:
qemu-system-ppc -machine mac99,via=pmu -m 1536 -vga none -device ati-vga,guest_hwcursor=true -prom-env 'vga-ndrv?=false' -boot d -prom-env "boot-device=hd:,\boot.img" -bios openbios-qemu.elf -device ide-hd,drive=hd-drive,bus=ide.0 -drive file=mos.img,if=none,id=hd-drive,format=raw -serial stdio -net nic,model=rtl8139 -net user
Old 29 August 2021, 10:48   #76
Hypex

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldiamiga View Post
Take a look at my syntax. I am using Windows

Thanks for your reply. I tried your line with my files but something goes wrong. OpenBIOS gives me an error:
No valid state has been set by load or init-program

I got the same thing when I tested hacking the CD into another ISO with MUI settings.

I also note you use the "-boot d" option but according to the docs that is for booting CD which is why I used "-boot c" but I found it doesn't matter. Unless I set a cdrom I cannot even boot the boot.img off the CD. Either from root or mac_ppc32 on HD it won't boot. It just hangs. This is just too complicated.
Old 30 August 2021, 06:19   #77
Hypex

I got it. The -hda option cannot be used. This breaks both installation and will prevent HDD image from booting. A simple -drive option must be used. Which only needs file and format if raw.
Old 29 January 2022, 22:54   #78
White

For those interested now the usb-audio stick is recognized in Sam460Ex with Morphos.

Aros ppc with Sam460ex also recognizes the USB audio stick

but they don't make any sound at the moment.

Currently Pegasos2 and G4 still suffer from the blocking of the usb-audio stick.

If anyone can do these tests it would be great.

I haven't done any reports to the author of qemu-ppc yet

here a video of a few minutes on the recognition of the usb-audio stick:

https://we.tl/t-LMxlsyj9tt
Old 30 January 2022, 22:36   #79
White

I also report here what I'm trying to do if anyone has any ideas:

In summary what I'm trying to do is this:

lsmod

snd_usb_audio 356 352 0
snd_usbmidi_lib 45056 1 snd_usb_audio
snd_rawmidi 45056 1 snd_usbmidi_lib
mc 65536 1 snd_usb_audio

because something seems to work but I still can't understand the right procedure is always if this exists

then example:
sudo modprobe -f snd_usb_audio
and so on:
sudo modprobe -f snd_usbmidi_lib

some of these loaded modules conflict with the following error:
qemu-system-ppc: libusb_release_interface: -4 [NO_DEVICE]

But not always
I can also avoid it

but this involves the freezing of Morphos and therefore I cannot complete the saving of the peripheral.

I will try other solutions
If anyone is interested any suggestions would be nice :-)

Thank you. :-)
Old 31 January 2022, 08:41   #80
White

Here is the test carried out on "Sam460ex" with "ArosPPC"
here too the usb-audio stick is recognized by "Poseidon"
but even in this case no sound is heard.

https://we.tl/t-dIoDLeN0Dv