English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.SPS (was CAPS)

Old 26 August 2006, 13:51   #1
gizmomelb

TOSEC or SPS?

I'm going to cross post this to the SPS forum as well, in the hope that it gets some (unbiased) answers.

I've got a heap of (mostly second hand, but some still sealed) games and utilities finishing auction on ebay TOMORROW (Sunday) and I was thinking there's been at least a good dozen or so titles I've noticed which don't have HOL scans, aren't in my TOSEC DB (6.11?) or possibly aren't in SPS either.

So - should I DMS them and submit them to TOSEC, or try to SPS them and submit them there?

The bad thing is of course there are some titles which are SEALED which I cannot open to make images of (as they are being sold as SEALED, NEW OLD STOCK).

So - DMS / ADF and TOSEC them, or SPS?

Opinions most welcome.

EDIT: I've had a look on the SPS site and I cannot spot the download needed to archive the disks on my Amiga. Can anyone point me to it or zone it for me please? Also if there are any 'gotchas' when using SPS please let me know bfore hand as I've only got a day or two to image what disks I can. Thanks.
Old 26 August 2006, 13:57   #2
BippyM
Global Moderator

I edited the other thread. I know you cross-posted and understand why. I have linked to this thread so others can read and post their views in the one thread.

To answer your question!

If they are protected then SPS is the only way unless you wanna crack them. Otherwise do both.

SPS only accept games (for now) so the utils/apps need to be added to tosec. DON'T DMS use an adf creator on amiga side
Old 26 August 2006, 15:10   #3
IFW

There are many titles that we only have in a modified form or not at all.
A few of the titles that we do not have an unmodified copy of: Debut, Sentinel, Return to Genesis.

Actually we are willing to buy those if needed.

If you don't have the time to dump everything, just post a list here.
What are the sealed titles?
Old 26 August 2006, 17:38   #4
gizmomelb

bippym - many thanks for the linking and understanding why I crossposted.

Hmm well if I have the time I might still try to SPS the utils and keep them aside.. as there's quite a few utils that aren't in TOSEC at all. If ADF cannot copy protected disks the an SPS image is my only option. Save them for a rainy day so to speak.

IMF - way too many for me to list at the moment sorry. I've got 100 titles on ebay and the first lot finishes in about 22 hours. I'll see if I get time tomorrow to do up a list - as I'll be scanning boxes etc. for HOL.

I've got an A1200 with a Blizzard 1230 and 32MB of RAM - is this enough to run SPS 'comfortably'? Also where can I find the SPS program please?

EDIT: I've sent an email request to the SPS website, so now all I can do is hope someone answers before I have to post all the software to the ebay winners.

Last edited by gizmomelb; 26 August 2006 at 18:13.
Old 26 August 2006, 18:40   #5
IFW

I've sent you a reply.
I can't read the email sent to the website atm, so please respond to the address the email was sent from.

Thanks.
Old 27 August 2006, 11:08   #6
gizmomelb

just waiting to hear back if any of my floppy drives are ok (I suspect there may only be 1 which is ok my DF1.

So just for my own interest I tried dumping E-Motion and it seems there was no problem at all dumping it.

My only complaint/question is how do I exit the SPS/CAPS program? ie: I've just done a dump (so to speak) and I want to exit the utitily without having to reboot (mainly to see if the CFD and FAT95 devices are installed correctly, so I can then copy the RAW file direct to my CompactFlash and move it across to the IBM).