English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > MarketPlace

Old 23 September 2022, 21:40   #21
Pyromania

@axel81|

15khz monitors are hard to find in nice condition.
Old 23 September 2022, 22:06   #22
axel81l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
@axel81|

15khz monitors are hard to find in nice condition.
So this a possible soluzion if you have compatible monitor or you an use it also with upscaler ..for example with GBS8200

Than you can use another connection option..with hdmi upscaler..RGB to HDMI..it works very well and perfect image
Old 23 September 2022, 22:07   #23
Pyromania

Very very nice, thanx a bunch.
Old 23 September 2022, 22:14   #24
axel81l

In any case you can find out on Amibay..a lot of VLR sent with all guys that are 100% satisfied :-)
Old 23 September 2022, 23:44   #25
Pyromania

I don't have to buy on AmiBay right?
Old 24 September 2022, 07:45   #26
axel81l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
I don't have to buy on AmiBay right?
I meant that if you want more reassurance on the product you can check on the retrogame site "Amibay" where many people have bought it with great satisfaction

Obviously I'm the one who sells it and in case any person here can request it and pay for it (Paypal / bank transfer)

Old 24 September 2022, 12:43   #27
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel81l View Post
Hi there
exactly..no jaggie/pixelated like flicker fixers
I'm not saying this isn't a good product, but I beg to differ on this point.

Displaying a 15khz screen on a monitor without scanlines will always result in a jaggy image.
Old 24 September 2022, 14:37   #28
axel81l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
I'm not saying this isn't a good product, but I beg to differ on this point.

Displaying a 15khz screen on a monitor without scanlines will always result in a jaggy image.
I would like to understand better what you are saying ... can you send me a picture here?
Old 25 September 2022, 08:21   #29
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel81l View Post
I would like to understand better what you are saying ... can you send me a picture here?
Consider the following image:

https://imgur.com/a/3JwWKxH

The version without scanlines looks blocky, jagged, and low resolution.

The version with scanlines looks crisp, detailed, and high resolution.
Old 10 November 2022, 12:32   #30
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
I think there's a little misunderstanding here (language barrier, most probably). Device does what it is supposed to do, meaning it conveys VGA signal beautifully and is effective at removing any unwanted vertical line. I use it along with the Ultimate Scart adapter (a VGA to Scart cable with a little more electronics for better compatibility) on a non Trinitron Samsung 21'' CRT TV.
It doesn't consists in a scandoubler, also, obviously it cannot recreate any scanlines by itself. Having said that, anyone is free to use it along with a scanline generator (that's my setup here, yeah I had to scour a few additional VGA cables on the second hand market).
Picture is pristine, very neat (hi def or hi res is a misleading notion in that context, granted). In the past, I was using S-Video aka S-VHS through a mod the seller had implemented at the back of my machine, did the trick in the meantime. Well, I did see those awful vertical lines once or twice (I remember I was playing third level of Savage that day, think I have the picture I took somewhere). These thick lines don't appear constantly but still an annoyance. Of course, the picture is much better that way (a color mess occurs with some games when using S-Video) though on smaller monitors / CRT TVs (approx. 13'' - 15''), situation is not as alarming. Device came with a price, but rest assured I won't come back to composite!

Edit : Ah, here it is :

Last edited by SquawkBox; 21 November 2022 at 23:02.
Old 24 November 2022, 20:28   #31
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
I think there's a little misunderstanding here (language barrier, most probably). Device does what it is supposed to do, meaning it conveys VGA signal beautifully and is effective at removing any unwanted vertical line. I use it along with the Ultimate Scart adapter (a VGA to Scart cable with a little more electronics for better compatibility) on a non Trinitron Samsung 21'' CRT TV.

It doesn't consists in a scandoubler, also, obviously it cannot recreate any scanlines by itself. Having said that, anyone is free to use it along with a scanline generator (that's my setup here, yeah I had to scour a few additional VGA cables on the second hand market).

Picture is pristine, very neat (hi def or hi res is a misleading notion in that context, granted). In the past, I was using S-Video aka S-VHS through a mod the seller had implemented at the back of my machine, did the trick in the meantime. Well, I did see those awful vertical lines once or twice (I remember I was playing third level of Savage that day, think I have the picture I took somewhere). These thick lines don't appear constantly but still an annoyance. Of course, the picture is much better that way (a color mess occurs with some games when using S-Video) though on smaller monitors / CRT TVs (approx. 13'' - 15''), situation is not as alarming. Device came with a price, but rest assured I won't come back to composite!

Edit : Ah, here it is :

If you're using RGB to SCART cable on a CRT TV there is really no need to use this adaptor? This adaptor is to overcome that pixel clock issue on LCD monitors that gives you the vertical bands where simple ground of a certain pin doesn't help.

Unless I'm missing something? My CRT is pristine with just RGB to SCART cable.
Old 25 November 2022, 00:29   #32
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
If you're using RGB to SCART cable on a CRT TV there is really no need to use this adaptor? This adaptor is to overcome that pixel clock issue on LCD monitors that gives you the vertical bands where simple ground of a certain pin doesn't help.

Unless I'm missing something?
We could tell for sure if the seller would like to share with us the scheme of his adapter/cable. But, for marketing purposes, he's not willing to do that .
Old 25 November 2022, 03:39   #33
amigoun

From what I have seen from some purchasers inside pictures, it is nothing more than a standard adapter (buffered) with a RGB amplifier. The idea was (is) common in retrocomputing for years.
Even some Amiga sellers adopted the idea years ago and sold them as adapters with RGB amplifier.
What does this particular seller does, he copied the idea and invented the name for it "VLR system" just to promote his sales and to make a notion that he sells something extra that other do not.
Old 28 November 2022, 02:29   #34
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
If you're using RGB to SCART cable on a CRT TV there is really no need to use this adaptor
I use both a CRT TV and a LCD TV these days through some kind of specific KVM switch. During the first months of use of my A500, picture was displayed through a S-Video converter attached at the back of my machine by the seller (doesn't look good on a > 14'' CRT), Above picture featuring artifacts in the shape of vertical lines was taken in front of that very setup (S-video output to display the miggy on the 15'' LG LCD TV).

Later on, I decided to upgrade (I already had some experience of the UMSA to use along with my "Mamebox"). Since I wanted to use regular VGA cables with my setup, I needed an adapter. Even though I don't play Amiga games in front of the LCD TV much these days, it still serves some purpose that the adapter the OP sells eliminates those ugly lines, plus it was assembled from an actual connector and not cut off from some bigger printer connector or something, so there. Perhaps I should mention that UMSA isn't a cable per se, it's just the interface with female plugs, one has to provide his own cables to connect both ends.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 28 November 2022 at 02:56.
Old 28 November 2022, 02:56   #35
NameOfTheGame

This is great. I wonder if such a device can be made for other systems.

For modern LCD screens, the DELL SE2722H works great for retro systems using 15KHz signals (https://forums.atariage.com/topic/32...and-works-100/) but can be prone to the vertical line issue.

So what about applying the design of the Amiga adapter to a generic VGA adapter which could work on all retro systems?

(VGA <---> buffered VLR <---> VGA) (external 5V usb power input)

Could it be done?
Old 12 January 2023, 16:07   #36
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
What are the functional differences between the models of VLR listed in the 1st post?
Old 12 January 2023, 16:48   #37
amigoun

You can read it from his first post, the only difference is smaller size allowing fitting into smaller DSub casing.
But the "VLR system" is a myth. Actualy it is a RGB amplifier which mostly removes the vertical lines as an effect of the internal filters.
Old 12 January 2023, 16:53   #38
amigoun

Quote:
Originally Posted by NameOfTheGame View Post
I wonder if such a device can be made for other systems.

So what about applying the design of the Amiga adapter to a generic VGA adapter which could work on all retro systems?

(VGA <---> buffered VLR <---> VGA) (external 5V usb power input)

Could it be done?

As I wrote earlier, RGB Amplifier is commonly used in retro systems for many years, it is not an Amiga invention. Any many retro cable makers use the rgb amplifiers in their cables / adapters.
Old 12 January 2023, 21:26   #39
Rochabian
The Big White Cat

I don't know what's the tech inside this "VLR" adapter but all i can say is that it works as described.
Just have bought one from this seller on ebay and it's not wasted money !
Now i have a sharp picture from a cd32 + tf330 with a Dell 2001FP.

Before i had a classic adapter and yes, they were vertical lines.

Now for me the image is perfect, good product.

Thanks axel81l !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230112_211924.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	829.3 KB
ID:	77776   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230112_212107.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	475.8 KB
ID:	77777   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230112_212257.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	501.0 KB
ID:	77778   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230112_212307.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	684.0 KB
ID:	77779  
Old 12 January 2023, 21:31   #40
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochabian View Post
I don't know what's the tech inside this "VLR" adapter but all i can say is that it works as described.
Just have bought one from this seller on ebay and it's not wasted money !
Now i have a sharp picture from a cd32 + tf330 with a Dell 2001FP.

Before i had a classic adapter and yes, they were vertical lines.

Now for me the image is perfect, good product.

Thanks axel81l !
Thanks please can you share an image of a black screen? This is where lines are most visible.

@amigoun Are you saying that this adapter is poor value or does not work as described?