English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 21 December 2002, 23:24   #1
Kelju Ivan

Space Crusade and a meditating guru

I'm using the latest WinUAE, with kick 1.3 and am trying to play Space Crusade. When I start the emulation, I can see the Gremlin logo (with sound) and the starting screen where the marines shoot with bolters. After that the images fade out and after a moment of staring at the black screen I get the infamous red error message, saying "Guru meditation, press left mouse button to continue". When I click the button, the emulation restarts and the error appears again. What could be the problem?

Old 22 December 2002, 15:07   #2
Mr Softy

Send a message via ICQ to Mr Softy Send a message via MSN to Mr Softy
Smile

Hi!

Try uploading your config file, and maybe someone smarter than I am will look at it and find the flaw. Posting your system specs can be useful too.
Old 22 December 2002, 16:00   #3
Walker

Here's a working configration for WinUAE 0.8.22 R2
Attached Files
File Type: uae spacecrusade_0822r2.uae (4.5 KB, 315 views)
Old 22 December 2002, 17:04   #4
Kelju Ivan

Okay. After some fiddling with that configuration (changing the paths and turning it full screen), I managed to get the game running. You only had disk 2 in the floppy section. Was that because of the fact that you need to change disks when starting the battle? Having both disks selected didn't seem to work. Space Crusade doesn't support several disk drives (which I understand are emulated)?

One big problem is this: It's very difficult to move the mouse cursor vertically. Horizontal directions cause no problems. I also noticed that by disabling sounds, I can move the cursor more easily, but still not easily enough. If I use the keyboard to control the cursor it moves swiftly, but a working mouse would be many times faster and a LOT more enjoyable.

I have played one other game on WinUAE besides this one. It was Oil Imperium and while playing I noticed a very similar problem. In one part of the game (the pipelining) vertical mouse movement became practically impossible. I didn't think of disabling sound then, so I don't know how that would've affected it.

Anyhow, do you have any thoughts on this? Is my computer just too crappy (Celeron 366MHz, with 288Mb of RAM)? It would just seem logical that every direction would be affected by this thingy, not just the vertical ones.

Arrr...

Old 22 December 2002, 17:10   #5
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Originally posted by Kelju Ivan
One big problem is this: It's very difficult to move the mouse cursor vertically. Horizontal directions cause no problems.
WinUAE bug. Confirmed and tested. Toni can reproduce this bug with his mouse, so look out for a fix on one of the next releases! (NOT R4 yet, that's too soon)
Old 22 December 2002, 17:14   #6
Kelju Ivan

Good to hear that I'm not the only one. Any idea how often the emulator is updated? I hope getting the fix wouldn't take months.

Anyway, thanks to you all for help.

Old 22 December 2002, 18:46   #7
andreas
Zone Friend

Arrow

Quite often, depends on Toni's time schedule. But Brian King times are over. Brian wasn't bad, but due to his extremely tight time schedule release intervals had even exceeded six months sometimes...
Old 22 December 2002, 18:50   #8
Kelju Ivan

It's a pity, because I would've wanted to play this game during the Christmas holidays, now that MOO3 didn't get released in time. Oh well, maybe I'll get Archon working.

And also: Hi Andreas! Do you know the language already? .)

Old 22 December 2002, 23:14   #9
andreas
Zone Friend

<grin>

Maybe a tiny little bit
^
even tinier than this font size

Who told you?
Don't try to tell me you read all of this boring IRC log
Old 22 December 2002, 23:16   #10
Kelju Ivan

YOU did. *)

Don't you remember? We mailed each other. .)

Old 22 December 2002, 23:52   #11
andreas
Zone Friend

Can't remember, but might be.
Old 31 December 2002, 02:52   #12
Titler
Zone Friend

Oh yes...

Quote:
Originally posted by andreas
WinUAE bug. Confirmed and tested. Toni can reproduce this bug with his mouse, so look out for a fix on one of the next releases! (NOT R4 yet, that's too soon)
I saw this bug too; I think I even posted about it a few weeks back... I've only just downloaded 8.2 r4, but under r3 you can play Space Crusade fine using a joypad to move the cursor around on the title screen. Now go whack those Gretchins for me, them and their damn flukey dice rolls of doom!