English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 02 November 2023, 17:16   #21
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Excuse me? Do we have some kind of support contract I'm not aware of so you talk to me like this? Now I feel like an idiot for implementing gamma correction, but fortunately haven't pushed anything yet
feel free to implement it yourself, and also remove any features that don't work for you. Or as you'd say: Maybe do some learning. It can't be that hard to remove a feature
Old 03 November 2023, 09:17   #22
riker77

It would not be the first time, thatt a user DEMANDS an, in their point of view, easy fix.

@BSzili
You forgot to mention that the source is available at Github

PR's welcome
Old 03 November 2023, 10:28   #23
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Unfortunately he underestimated how petty and vindictive I am
Anyway, I'll use this opportunity to fix a couple small bugs, e.g. the car damage indicator glitches at 0% due to a rounding error. The stuck console window too, that one was caused by switching a RAW: console to a CON: mode at exit.
Old 03 November 2023, 11:28   #24
jurassicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSzili View Post
Unfortunately he underestimated how petty and vindictive I am
Anyway, I'll use this opportunity to fix a couple small bugs, e.g. the car damage indicator glitches at 0% due to a rounding error. The stuck console window too, that one was caused by switching a RAW: console to a CON: mode at exit.
Thanks @BSzili for your great work!
I really appreciate it!
Old 03 November 2023, 11:41   #25
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Thanks for all your hard work. The stuff you've been doing really flies on Pistorm32 Lite and are extremely usable even in AGA mode (although I tend to use RTG).

If you're looking for something new (but Amiga related) perhaps OpenTTD? There is a very old Amiga port but it is not good.

Last edited by alexh; 03 November 2023 at 12:15.
Old 03 November 2023, 15:42   #26
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurassicman View Post
Thanks @BSzili for your great work!
I really appreciate it!
Thanks, and btw, I'm still wondering which joystick button cancels the race at that dialog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Thanks for all your hard work. The stuff you've been doing really flies on Pistorm32 Lite and are extremely usable even in AGA mode (although I tend to use RTG).

If you're looking for something new (but Amiga related) perhaps OpenTTD? There is a very old Amiga port but it is not good.
Much appreciated. Currently I'm not doing any new ports as I'm helping out with Grind. I'll put it on my list for later, but out of curiosity what issues do the old OpenTTD port has?
Old 04 November 2023, 17:33   #27
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
Much appreciated. Currently I'm not doing any new ports as I'm helping out with Grind. I'll put it on my list for later, but out of curiosity what issues do the old OpenTTD port has?
I would like to say that it has all issues. But honestly it just bog slow, so it not useable with my 68060 Amigas, no matter AGA or RTG. Strategy games doesn't not need to have high fps, but this is really slow. I don't know is just lack of raw CPU power or what.
Old 04 November 2023, 17:46   #28
derSammler

Fixed the first-race bug myself with the help of IDA Pro. Really disappointed with how you act when people report bugs - as if they are responsible if something does not work correctly. Won't happen again from my side, I avoid your ports in the future.
Old 04 November 2023, 18:51   #29
jurassicman

Quote:
Thanks, and btw, I'm still wondering which joystick button cancels the race at that dialog?
(...)
Yesterday I tried again the game after a few months. The race starts correctly pushing the right button (Enter or the joystick button mapped to it) so probably I was wrongly pushing the ESC button on my joystick the times that the first race closed unexpectedly. As I did write on your development thread I did modify a 3 button joystick in order to play Death Rally in a "SuperCars like way" so I have a button to accelerate, up and down to use machine gun and mines, left and right to turn, a button to use the nitro and another button to brake (that I actually never use).

Last edited by jurassicman; 04 November 2023 at 18:58.
Old 04 November 2023, 18:52   #30
samo79

Quote:
Originally Posted by derSammler View Post
Fixed the first-race bug myself with the help of IDA Pro. Really disappointed with how you act when people report bugs - as if they are responsible if something does not work correctly. Won't happen again from my side, I avoid your ports in the future.
Could you maybe share on github the fixed code?
Maybe others could found usefull too...
Old 04 November 2023, 21:18   #31
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by derSammler View Post
I'd like to say the same, but since you behave the sane exact way towards others I can't really say I'm disappointed. I hope you'll be able to stay away but I don't have high expectations of you ?
Old 05 November 2023, 20:46   #32
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurassicman View Post
Yesterday I tried again the game after a few months. The race starts correctly pushing the right button (Enter or the joystick button mapped to it) so probably I was wrongly pushing the ESC button on my joystick the times that the first race closed unexpectedly. As I did write on your development thread I did modify a 3 button joystick in order to play Death Rally in a "SuperCars like way" so I have a button to accelerate, up and down to use machine gun and mines, left and right to turn, a button to use the nitro and another button to brake (that I actually never use).
Thanks for refreshing my memory on this! At least there's no bug here, just a case of pressing the Escape/No button accidentally
Old 05 November 2023, 20:55   #33
Calabazam

Oh my, i overlooked this thread as i was busy with Dark Forces. I don't know that game from the time but will try it soon. Tjanks!
Old 05 November 2023, 21:10   #34
BSzili
old chunk of coal

As they say, there's no such thing as bad publicity
Old 06 November 2023, 00:55   #35
lesta_smsc

Just watched the YouTube video by Saberman RetroNews - just WOW! I could not even tell the difference between this and the PC version - excellent work! Reassuring to learn that it works on Pistorm too!

I have yet to try it due to the specs required (once I have acquired my accelerators) this will definitely be one for the gaming sessions! It looked amazing for a DOS game graphically and I also played this via Raspberry Pi running DOS at 240p so on a CRT and that looked just as impressive.

Am I correct in assuming that this will run (if say it was run on a Pistorm), via the RGB out or is running on HDMI?

I noted on Github regarding the multiplayer is not possible, is this due to ipx connectivity or some other issue? I know DOSBox allows IPX over TCP/IP so I wonder whether you can emulate or redirect such things via software e.g. such as what WinUAE does for serial port between 2 virtual Amigas? With the ability to use things like Pistorm where the Amiga is crazy fast and ample resources, even something memory hungry should hopefully fly?

Oh and is anyone able to make a CD32 custom CD version of this with CD audio or high quality music given there is ample space?
Old 06 November 2023, 08:01   #36
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Just watched the YouTube video by Saberman RetroNews - just WOW! I could not even tell the difference between this and the PC version - excellent work! Reassuring to learn that it works on Pistorm too!

I have yet to try it due to the specs required (once I have acquired my accelerators) this will definitely be one for the gaming sessions! It looked amazing for a DOS game graphically and I also played this via Raspberry Pi running DOS at 240p so on a CRT and that looked just as impressive.

Am I correct in assuming that this will run (if say it was run on a Pistorm), via the RGB out or is running on HDMI?
It will use RTG if suitable modes (320x200x8 and 640x480x8) are available. Of course if you prefer the RGB output, you can force native modes with the built in tooltypes

Quote:
I noted on Github regarding the multiplayer is not possible, is this due to ipx connectivity or some other issue? I know DOSBox allows IPX over TCP/IP so I wonder whether you can emulate or redirect such things via software e.g. such as what WinUAE does for serial port between 2 virtual Amigas? With the ability to use things like Pistorm where the Amiga is crazy fast and ample resources, even something memory hungry should hopefully fly?
dRally's author tried to implement multiplayer using the IPX code from DOSBox, but it didn't work. The best approach would be to rewrite everything to use TCP/IP, but that's quite a rework, and I wasn't interested enough in the multiplayer to take the plunge.

Quote:
Oh and is anyone able to make a CD32 custom CD version of this with CD audio or high quality music given there is ample space?
To improve the audio quality you can increase the AHI sample rate, or if you have a sound card pick 16-bit AHI modes.
Old 07 November 2023, 22:13   #37
Calabazam

Hi.

I have given it a try, just like for DarkForces with an A4000/060@50/ZZ9000 and with an A1200 Vampire V2.

With the A4000, the game works fine in AGA. With the ZZ9000, as usual with 320*200 the lower part of the screen flickers. Is there a way to force 320*240 like DarkForces?

With the V1200, in RTG 320*200 mode gives blackscreen although the sound and music works (i think my monitor does not take 320*200, i can't setup a working mode in P96), while 640*400 works fine and fullscreen apart when a race begins which takes place on only the upper left quarter of the screen. AGA works fine.

I have not been able to look at FPS with HELP, maybe i didn't see where the counter appeared on screen.

EDIT : no it's ok, FPS comes with DEL not HELP and i have solid 33 FPS in AGA on the A1200.

Last edited by Calabazam; 07 November 2023 at 22:22.
Old 08 November 2023, 06:57   #38
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Thanks for testing! Regarding the RTG issues, I recommend contacting the driver developers to add a working 320x200 mode. If it's not possible, or this isn't something they are interested in, then AGA will be almost as fast except for the menus.
A 320x240 hack is possible, but I just released a new version, so I don't plan to make new updates very soon unless there are other things to fix as well.

Last edited by BSzili; 08 November 2023 at 07:33.
Old 21 November 2023, 18:26   #39
BSzili
old chunk of coal

A new version is up on Aminet. Not much has changed, but I added the RTG320X240 tooltype Calabazam asked for.
Old 22 November 2023, 08:19   #40
DanyPPC

Quote:
A new version is up on Aminet. Not much has changed, but I added the RTG320X240 tooltype Calabazam asked for.
This is a good option and it works well on my Monitor