English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Amiga Forever

Old 10 December 2020, 12:11   #1
steveis2

Increase ram in Power PC emulation with OS 4.1

Hi,
The emulator is set to 64bit operation in options for win-uae. I've installed OS 4.1 on a PPC emulation and also installed OS 4.1 update 1.
According to Cloanto's documentation I should be able to increase the amount of ram available to the PPC emulation now that the update is installed.
They say:-

""If you are using "Final Edition Update 1" with Amiga Forever, be sure to enable the new option to use Zorro III RAM as main memory. Open S/Startup-Sequence (e.g. launching NotePad from the dock) and look for the following line:
C:BootLoader
Replace it with:
C:BootLoader COMMANDLINE="NORAMPAGER""

I've amended the startup-sequence file but I can't find an 'option' to use zorro III ram as main memory when I click edit on the PPC emulation in the main amigaforever window. Either way the available ram has not increased.

I might be missing something simple and misunderstanding the instructions but right now I'm stuck.

If anyone has some advice on how to increase the ram I'd appreciate it.

Regards Steve
Old 10 December 2020, 12:46   #2
White

always in this video:
[ Show youtube player ]

at minute 1:25 you find Z3 set to 256 mb you have to change it for example to 512 or 1gigabyte that is your available ram
Old 10 December 2020, 20:36   #3
steveis2

Quote:
Originally Posted by White View Post
always in this video:
[ Show youtube player ]

at minute 1:25 you find Z3 set to 256 mb you have to change it for example to 512 or 1gigabyte that is your available ram

Hi,
In the current installation I can increase the ram from 256 to 384. Beyond that OS 4.1 boots to a red screen. I've varied the start up sequence file with different spacing, spelling etc. but it hasn't made any difference.

If I set the ram at perhaps 512Mb or higher at the start of an installation of OS 4.1 on an emulated PPC 4000 would it work up until I installed Update 1 in OS 4.1? I can't see a way to make any of the changes that are suggested in the Complete alternative guide to install AmigaOS 4.1 which I have looked at for inspiration even though I know it's for win-uae.

Perhaps 384Mb is as good as is possible. It's better than 256 I think. I'll try another install ltomorrow.

Regards Steve
Old 10 December 2020, 21:27   #4
White

Tomorrow I realize part 2 dedicated to amigaforever so complete the continuation of the video amigaforever part1.
can you tell me which version you use of amigaforever is winuae (the version you are using)?
Old 10 December 2020, 21:33   #5
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

<nonsense edited> :-)

Last edited by Hedeon; 10 December 2020 at 21:38.
Old 11 December 2020, 10:57   #6
steveis2

Quote:
Tomorrow I realize part 2 dedicated to amigaforever so complete the continuation of the video amigaforever part1.
can you tell me which version you use of amigaforever is winuae (the version you are using)?

Hi,
I'm using amigaforever version 8. Z3 ram is 385Mb total 'fast ram' listed at the top of the OS4.1 desktop is given as 510Mb. I was hoping to increase the Z3 ram as per Cloantos' suggestion.

Regards Steve
Old 11 December 2020, 20:03   #7
White

here the second part of the tutorial of 4.1FE for AmigaForever network configuration updates installing update1 increasing the ram z3
[ Show youtube player ]

separate note:
the problem you encounter of the red screen has been solved you can see it in the video and see the various steps.
I recommend you switch to winuae if you are interested in 4.1FE
Because currently it seems that with Amigaforever if you increase the ram the configuration is not saved correctly.
Also by using only winuae you have a lot more options currently available.
If you encounter problems saving the configuration with AmigaForever let me know.
Old 11 December 2020, 20:34   #8
White

Currently it seems that in the configuration it is saved in the "Prometheus Matay" PCI devices and causes the block with red screen this must be deselected.
I don't know how to fix it this only happens with AmigaForever and its GUI.
Remember to use 64bit winuae to allocate more memory you can find it in the AmigaForever options

Last edited by White; 14 December 2020 at 08:47.
Old 12 December 2020, 10:37   #9
steveis2

Quote:
here the second part of the tutorial of 4.1FE for AmigaForever network configuration updates installing update1 increasing the ram z3
[ Show youtube player ]

separate note:
the problem you encounter of the red screen has been solved you can see it in the video and see the various steps.
I recommend you switch to winuae if you are interested in 4.1FE
Because currently it seems that with Amigaforever if you increase the ram the configuration is not saved correctly.
Also by using only winuae you have a lot more options currently available.
If you encounter problems saving the configuration with AmigaForever let me know.

Hi,
Thanks for another excellent video but on reflection and having not succeeded in getting amigaforever set up correctly in my current installation of OS 4.1 I will try to use winuae. It might be more direct and as you said it will have more options.
I'll use the winuae videos you have produced and the Complete alternative guide to install AmigaOS 4.1 to try and get it working.
In that vein, and I hope this doesn't seem like a silly question, but do I need to set up the hardware in winuae as...

CyberStorm PPC
- G-REX
- ES1370 PCI
- A600/A1200/A4000 IDE
Z2 - UAE Boot ROM
Z2 - A2065
Z3 - Z3 Fast RAM
Z3 - Picasso IV Zorro III

.... before I start following the guide or will following the guide set it up as I go along?

Regards Steve
Old 12 December 2020, 16:30   #10
steveis2

Quote:
Currently it seems that in the configuration it is saved in the "Prometheus Matay" PCI devices and causes the block with red screen this must be deselected.
I don't know how to fix it this only happens with AmigaForever and its GUI.
Remember to use 64bit winuae to allocate more memory you can find it in the AmigaForever options

Hi Despite what I said I just tried another attempt and suceeded up to a point with a new install of OS4.1. I had it set to 512Mb and all was apparantly going well, however when I had completed the first OS updates and restarted the red screen re-appeared. Also the F12 key doesn't seem to bring up the winuae configure screen when the red screen is showing. Perhaps it's the configuration not being saved that is the problem.

I'll persevere for a bit longer. I don't like to fail if possible to avoid it.

Regards Steve