English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 21 November 2018, 11:57   #21
Marle
Pixel Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
The CD32 is a wonderful machine with so many ways to use and play it, then and now. The good games outweigh the bad just like the MD and SNES. Im sure they have their kang fu's too.
Two words:

SNES Pitfighter

Old 21 November 2018, 12:10   #22
Marle
Pixel Vixen

Oh and Dangerous Streets wasn't just packaged with CD32 bundles, worse still it was the lead box art for one of the UK packages.

An absolute travesty of a game and I knew some of the more well off kids in school were gutted when they bragged about getting a CD32 having sold their Mega Drives or even virtually brand new SNES's, only to hear them incessantly whinging how sh*t Dangerous Streets was compared to SFII.

As was said above, we all know what really failed the CD32 and indeed Commodore, but the consumer cannot and never should be expected to make allowances for say the fact the games at first were rushed ports. I bought a SNES in 1994, not a CD32 which at first I had my heart set on although realistically could never afford, by 1994 you could get a SNES Super Mario All Stars and a controller for just over £100 brand new.

Sure the games were more expensive but well.... What else are you going to play Super Probotector (Contra III), Super Mario World and Secret of Mana on?
Old 21 November 2018, 12:39   #23
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
And for the God's sanity, don't even tell him about this:

http://hol.abime.net/2952/miscshot

Old 21 November 2018, 13:05   #24
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post

Ouch !
Old 21 November 2018, 13:10   #25
d4rk3lf

Typical AVGN video.
In a sense, he is kind of right that CD32 could extend Commodore life (if even, just a bit), if they had the opportunity to sell it in the U.S.
But then again, it's just a theory, maybe there wouldn't be much interest for it in the US market.
Maybe if Commodore made CD32 similar to Playstation in power, and had few games developer release some great speedy 3D games (like Wipeout), and had some money into commercial, maybe Commodore would live up to today. But that wouldn't be Commodore, would it?
Sweet, sweet dreams.

One thing AVGN didn't mention, is that you could add external keyboard and mouse, and make your CD32 something like A1200. That's a BIG thing for me personally, and something that no console had (from my knowledge).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzegzolka View Post
I wonder could we have a good professional show about Amiga with actually collection of good games?
Maybe this?
[ Show youtube player ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post

Is it that bad?
I loved playing Castles 1 on Amiga. One of my favorite strategy games.
Never played 2.
Old 21 November 2018, 13:19   #26
-Acid-

I unsubbed from his channel years ago when all he was posting was him and Mike playing games. Took a look anyway and what else did anyone expect? The character is based on playing shitty games and getting angry about them so he was never going to include anything good in this video was he?

It still annoys me that he cannot get basic facts correct about anything he talks about when it comes to computers in general though. Absolute none existent research and then puts out what he thinks is right and his audience (mostly those of the American persuation) take it as gospel.

Would be nice if he actually did a follow up as James Rolfe and not the nerd, played the good games and did a factually correct review of the system. Imagine he was given a TF328 with a nice CF card and a KTRL controller!
Old 21 November 2018, 13:23   #27
rothers

So what happens if you play the Zool cd track 1 in a CD player?
Old 21 November 2018, 13:31   #28
Marle
Pixel Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
One thing AVGN didn't mention, is that you could add external keyboard and mouse, and make your CD32 something like A1200. That's a BIG thing for me personally, and something that no console had (from my knowledge).
Some consoles had a mouse, e.g. SNES and Playstation, there may have even been one for the MegaDrive.

And some later consoles definitely had keyboards, such as the Dreamcast and I think Gamecube, but they're fairly exotic things say compared to the ease of getting hold of a keyboard that will work on the CD32.
Old 21 November 2018, 13:47   #29
Cherno

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothers View Post
Probably the same that happens when you play any other CD-ROM game on a CD player... the device tries to read the game data and out comes a bunch of weird noises for a few hours or so. Kinda similar to calling a fax machine with a normal telephone
Old 21 November 2018, 13:49   #30
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marle View Post
Some consoles had a mouse, e.g. SNES and Playstation, there may have even been one for the MegaDrive.

And some later consoles definitely had keyboards, such as the Dreamcast and I think Gamecube, but they're fairly exotic things say compared to the ease of getting hold of a keyboard that will work on the CD32.
Yeah, but did they had something like running a workbench and Deluxe Paint, or Real 3D, or Octamed? CD32 could easily become something like A1200, if my memory serves me well.

Btw Marle, I am watching your pixel art videos, and you're doing a great job. Very appreciated. Keep up the awesome work.
Old 21 November 2018, 13:55   #31
britelite

Quote:
One thing AVGN didn't mention, is that you could add external keyboard and mouse, and make your CD32 something like A1200.
Why should he, as most people buying a games console couldn't care less about expandability.
Old 21 November 2018, 14:02   #32
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:

One thing AVGN didn't mention, is that you could add external keyboard...

...which was never released AFAIK....
Old 21 November 2018, 14:06   #33
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by britelite View Post
Why should he, as most people buying a games console couldn't care less about expandability.
He shouldn't, but other people could.
You see, back in the days, when I was kid, and my parents haven't got enough money to buy me Amiga, I though that (used) CD32 is maybe a best choice, because I could play it, and after some time (when I get additional money), I could turn it into real amiga computer.
That was a big thing for me, personally, and I haven't got that option with other consoles, so I think it's really worthy mentioning.
But you are correct that most people didn't cared about that.

Btw, how's that wolf/doom game coming along? I played the last version you posted, but didn't wanted to comment on a thread dedicated to technical stuff. I hope you will get some free time, to make some update.
Cheers
Old 21 November 2018, 14:11   #34
britelite

Quote:
Btw, how's that wolf/doom game coming along? I played the last version you posted, but didn't wanted to comment on a thread dedicated to technical stuff. I hope you will get some free time, to make some update.
I'm currently working on the scaling and rendering of enemy sprites. I think I figured out quite a nice way of accomplishing that, will post some info in the thread when I've implemented it. I'm hoping to release at least a one level demo during Easter next year.
Old 21 November 2018, 14:19   #35
Daedalus

Quote:
Yeah, but did they had something like running a workbench and Deluxe Paint, or Real 3D, or Octamed? CD32 could easily become something like A1200, if my memory serves me well.
Not without adding (as well as the keyboard and mouse) at least a floppy drive, which needed additional hardware as there's no floppy port on the CD32 or CIAs to provide the necessary signals. Otherwise, where would you save your files, or how would you boot any of those floppy or hard drive apps? In reality, you needed to add an SX-32 for it to become a decent machine, and they weren't cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Just use a CDTV keyboard with adaptor like i did.
Or use an Amiga 4000 keyboard, which worked directly without an adaptor.
Old 21 November 2018, 14:34   #36
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothers View Post
Something like this... [ Show youtube player ]
Old 21 November 2018, 14:35   #37
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by britelite View Post
I'm currently working on the scaling and rendering of enemy sprites. I think I figured out quite a nice way of accomplishing that, will post some info in the thread when I've implemented it. I'm hoping to release at least a one level demo during Easter next year.
Great!
Looking forward to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Otherwise, where would you save your files, or how would you boot any of those floppy or hard drive apps?
I don't have idea man.
I was a kid back then, and I've heard the stories of possibility to turn CD32 into an A1200. If I remember correctly, in the computer magazines at that time, I saw a lots of small adds offering complete hardware solutions that should done that. They are probably hand made stuff.
Can you connect HD instead of CD, and add some external floppy?
If that is possible, then it's totally capable of making something like A1200 out of CD32.
Or if you could just burn Workbench on to CD with lots of installed games on it... yeah... you couldn't play games that requires saving, but lot's of games didn't require it anyways (and those who are (Frontier, for example), you just play regularly from CD32 version of the game.

EDIT:
Ok I found something.
[ Show youtube player ]

With something like this, I would be perfectly happy
Old 21 November 2018, 14:50   #38
Daedalus

I seem to recall there was a backplane that added just enough extra logic to get a floppy drive working, which would in effect bring it up to stock A1200 specs. The CD drive interface is a custom design, so you can't add a hard drive without the extra hardware. The SX-1 was a decent option too, which offered fast RAM and a hard drive interface. Probably the best option without going to SX-32 lengths (and cost).
Old 21 November 2018, 15:57   #39
Pyromania

The CD32 didn't cause Commodore's problems, Commodore was their own worst enemy. CD32 had great games, okay games and not so good games depending on the developer.

Last edited by Pyromania; 21 November 2018 at 16:02.
Old 21 November 2018, 16:21   #40
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

The CD32 is an Amiga and as an Amiga, I love it. But just 'cos I'm an amigan, with a personal history connecting me to it since 1989. If I came from the SNES, MD or even NES realm directly into the CD32, I'd think it was poo as well. The CD32 was pretty poor compared to what was right around the corner in 1994 (Saturn first, then the mighty PlayStation). If the A1200 was too little, too late in 1992, imagine what the CD32 (just an A1200 with the Akiko chip) was in 1993. Being based on the Amiga, the CD32 was still in the old paradigm of gaming and did not break through to the next paradigm (brought forth by the other 32bit machines but inspired by the increasingly popular PC's 3D gaming). The CD32 never stood a chance. Despite its puerile tone, I agree with everything that AVGN said. Sure, he didn't show any of the actual good games that the CD32 has (even Bubba 'n' Stix is a very old-school game), but what is shown in the video is nothing but the truth. I took no offence at all. Sometimes we must know how to separate emotion from factual data. And the factual data is: the CD32, as a 5th generation console, sucked donkey balls. It even sucked compared to the most established 4th generation consoles...