English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 30 May 2023, 19:59   #601
Seiya

i write this post in Italian and then translate in English because it was very complicated write it directly in English.

it is true that the Amiga had multitasking as a great feature that before the Amiga anyone would have dreamed of this thing. In that video of the Amiga 2500 you can see the Amiga doing great things and nothing inferior to Lotus 1-2-3, so spreedsheet, work on a DTP, create images with Deluxe Paint and then import everything into your document.
However, the impression watching those old videos was that although the Amiga was simpler to use, it has that frivolous, somewhat toyy aspect.
The Amiga was then used in companies where seriousness was the watchword and in every sector, therefore from the medical, space, scientific and cinematographic ones, but having a somewhat childish aspect both in the aesthetic part and in the operating system.
In the end they didn't continue to use the Amiga, but went back to using or preferring the MS-DOS or CP/M shell or the first release of Windows.
Old 31 May 2023, 22:23   #602
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
i think that Computer Chronicles staff was in difficult to speak about Amiga, but also Atari ST because they used to use and to tell about professional computer like PC and Mac.
PC and Mac were terrible for professional stuff in 1985. We had a PC here, in the richest CAD office. It couldn't do CAD, so it was used for BASIC programming on the glorious color monitor. It didn't have this, that, or the other professional thing either. But it cost $5000. Professional in price, and still worse than 8-bit home computers. We had a Mac at school, and you could write things that looked ugly on its monitor and matrix printer. Neither had anything like an assembler or compiler, or word processor or spreadsheet worth the name.

What you're aiming for is the word 'stuffy'. The staff were stuffy & old. And jaded, by being experienced in all that is old and in nothing that is new.

But it still hurts my soul to see Gary Kildall sit there and not be amazed by the Amiga. He never made any GUI or multi-tasking at all, and he really should have seen it and not just blab like, "oh yeah, this is kinda nice". How can a hero be so blind?

We know about the incident, but maybe it's the same 70s that fostered 86-DOS on the PC. Took Microsoft a decade to deliver something that sucked hard, so maybe it's just "Gen C". C is for Clunky.

I know no-one so stuffy among my Amiga friends. We're building new motherboards, expansions, and interfaces in modern components, using solid-state drives, some are even using emulators and flatscreen monitors. We are writing software that runs on all Amigas, and even buying new software(!) (well it's rare, but I've seen it!)
Old 01 June 2023, 09:03   #603
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
But it still hurts my soul to see Gary Kildall sit there and not be amazed by the Amiga. He never made any GUI or multi-tasking at all, and he really should have seen it and not just blab like, "oh yeah, this is kinda nice". How can a hero be so blind?
To be fair Gary rarely reacted emotional to anything Plus the presentations in that episode are hardly awe inspiring
Old 01 June 2023, 14:45   #604
Seiya

fake Amiga subtitles for fun only
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 02 June 2023, 12:30   #605
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

The Computer Chronicles - Apple II Forever (1988): [ Show youtube player ]
Skip to 10:43 for an interesting statement about the Amiga. Especially in combination with a statement from 3:03.

Last edited by TCD; 02 June 2023 at 12:38.
Old 09 June 2023, 00:43   #606
Photon

@TCD Hmm. The Amiga should have 10,000 software products by 1988 by all of Sculley's definitions, in Silicon Valley, 1976 8-bit computer in 1988? I can't even, I cannot understand or comprehend, 13yo me had progressed 4 years before, from obvious duh

Despite this, Sculley's argument was moot. Any platform that had 10,000 software products, users wouldn't run more than 100, usually much less. (Not as bad as Mac! Not a handful! Jobs was wrong too!) But yeah nobody ran 10,000 programs. Plus CP/M had thousands of programs including educational and professional. It even had 80 column text mode, yay! Clunky in the USA, IDK. *shrug*
Old 09 June 2023, 10:17   #607
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I often wonder what made the Apple products be able to 'survive' the 90s and it seems there is a point to make about them being able to hold on to certain niches. The statement at 3:03 in the video about not flogging a dead horse to show the business world you aren't clinging to the past stood out to me when thinking about what CBM could have done at that moment in time.
Old 10 June 2023, 17:02   #608
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Lego Amiga 600 Laptop

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 10 June 2023, 18:11   #609
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

"Laptop" is a bit misleading That must weight a lot, but it's a cool idea and a good execution of it
Old 13 June 2023, 09:43   #610
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Super Rare Retro Pickups ( Amiga / Spectrum / Arcade / Remakes / Vectrex ) by RMC: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 15 June 2023, 21:18   #611
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
I often wonder what made the Apple products be able to 'survive' the 90s
Nothing survives illegal monopolies. Bill Gates' illegal monopolies are still ongoing, and keeps preventing great computers from succeeding, if someone would be so bold as Apple and Commodore-Amiga again to beat their tech by 10 years.
Old 15 June 2023, 21:57   #612
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Android?
Old 15 June 2023, 23:03   #613
Photon

Amiga actually isn't retro to me, because software can still come out for it. It's so very much rarer for arcade and consoles, and computers with 8" or before cassette tape. That's what I turn to for a retro fix.

That said, in the spirit of the OP, I think a shout should be given to World of Longplays. Over the years, it's probably my most watched Amiga channel by hours!

Here is the part 1 playlist for A500, let alone all the other games they've played.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...RLE5JVsgmOugnm
Old 17 June 2023, 00:18   #614
Retro1234
Phone Homer

New C64 Demo
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 19 June 2023, 09:59   #615
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Commodore 64 Chip Designer Interview: Albert Charpentier [ Show youtube player ]
Old 21 June 2023, 14:27   #616
Seiya

Shapeshifter run mac 68k multimedia product
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 27 June 2023, 00:20   #617
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Monkey Island 2 Amiga is the winner!

[ Show youtube player ]

Speedrunners started to use the Amiga version of MI2 because it proved faster than the PC version (in ScummVM). I thought that was a fun bit of trivia.

Also: people are speedrunning Monkey Island games.
Old 27 June 2023, 08:39   #618
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Monkey Island 2 Amiga is the winner!

[ Show youtube player ]

Speedrunners started to use the Amiga version of MI2 because it proved faster than the PC version (in ScummVM). I thought that was a fun bit of trivia.

Also: people are speedrunning Monkey Island games.
Also: they ended up using the FM Towns version because it skips a puzzle
Old 13 August 2023, 16:32   #619
petran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
I often wonder what made the Apple products be able to 'survive' the 90s and it seems there is a point to make about them being able to hold on to certain niches. The statement at 3:03 in the video about not flogging a dead horse to show the business world you aren't clinging to the past stood out to me when thinking about what CBM could have done at that moment in time.

they still hold in areas like graphic design, but rather because of the OS and tradition.

Eg in the 90s it was because Macs were still the de facto system for DTP, especially CMYK colour output, as opposed to the problematic Windows computers. Pros had to switch to NT, which was a far cry from MacOS in looks and productivity. Same for photo editing, multimedia, cd-rom, early web content, music, video editing etc

But now creators moved to Windows since it offers the same if not better results with cheaper systems and higher performance.

Though Macs in the late 80s became the grave of the typesetting and repro businesses.
Old 24 August 2023, 01:22   #620
kremiso

i badly would like this in an extended version

[ Show youtube player ]