English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 11 October 2009, 19:36   #1
mobiusclimber
Mayor of Roron

Cheap Solutions For Displaying PAL Format on NTSC TV?

I live in the US and recently got an Amiga CD32. After having it explained to me, I can now switch between NTSC and PAL displays, making all the games playable (finally)! Yay! Only problem is my TV won't properly display PAL signals. The picture flips, basically. Anyone know of an inexpensive solution to this? Looking at converter boxes, they're either $100+ or they don't do what I need them to do. What would you guys recommend?
Old 24 October 2009, 22:28   #2
illy5603

Send a message via MSN to illy5603
My inexpensive solution was to buy a multisystem TV for $50 off of an Airman returning from the UK. There are several on Ebay and other places that are both affordable and good looking.

You could also look into the Indivision AGA / CD32 but some TV's that have VGA input (as opposed to actual monitors for computers) don't seem to work with the indivision AGA without a lot of tweaking or in some cases, not at all.

Lastly, I have found that my NTSC CD32 will not boot all of the games even when in PAL mode but my PAL CD32 does. If you fall hard for the CD32 like I have, I recommend swapping the unit itself out with a PAL one from Amigakit.
Old 01 November 2009, 18:01   #3
mobiusclimber
Mayor of Roron

Well, $50 seems to be the price of a PAL converter, and I have too many TVs as it is, but I guess I ought to keep my eyes out (or just check Craigslist a lot) in case I see something cheap on there.

As for swapping for a PAL CD32... it would depend on what games won't work. There's only a handful so far that seem to really interest me so as long as those games work, I'll be good to go.
Old 01 November 2009, 20:11   #4
illy5603

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiusclimber View Post
Well, $50 seems to be the price of a PAL converter, and I have too many TVs as it is, but I guess I ought to keep my eyes out (or just check Craigslist a lot) in case I see something cheap on there.

As for swapping for a PAL CD32... it would depend on what games won't work. There's only a handful so far that seem to really interest me so as long as those games work, I'll be good to go.
If you go the PAL converter route, let me know how you like it.

Thanks!
Old 01 November 2009, 20:16   #5
Photon

Wasn't there some component-converter on eBay for 27€? Big box with RCA plugs
Old 01 November 2009, 21:42   #6
kipper2k

I wouldn't bother with a ntsc/Pal converter, i have tried a few of them and they will either be fuzzy, display vertical lines or both. If you really want to appreciate Pal mode then the only real choice if you have the cash is a multisystem TV. The prices are not that bad and you get the bonus of playing all games in their native format without hassles, and being displayed with crisp sharp images

heres a URL of a place that sells them

http://www.110220volts.com/Multisyst...FUlo5QodSXiVLQ

I as really disappointed with all those PAL/NTSC converters, they do not display the picture anywhere near the quality of a multisystem TV. (they all promise it though!). I bought the Sony 26" TV and it is awesome, has HDMI, Component, Composite, VGA and Svideo so you can use it on all your consoles etc.
Old 02 November 2009, 03:13   #7
mobiusclimber
Mayor of Roron

Thanks for the link. I have been thinking about getting an HDTV for awhile (and my wife is certainly pushing for one). I wonder if any electronics shops or anything stock those (really, I wonder if Best Buy stocks any at all).
Old 02 November 2009, 06:45   #8
illy5603

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiusclimber View Post
Thanks for the link. I have been thinking about getting an HDTV for awhile (and my wife is certainly pushing for one). I wonder if any electronics shops or anything stock those (really, I wonder if Best Buy stocks any at all).
None of the major retail chains in the states stock Multisystem TV sets. Maybe some military bases do but not chain stores.

It is of course your decision, but I still think having an old school, tube, 4:3 multisystem TV around for retrogaming is your best bet. You are going to pay an arm and a leg for a multisystem HDTV.
Old 10 November 2009, 04:02   #9
mobiusclimber
Mayor of Roron

Thing is, my wife wants an HDTV, whereas a regular TV, not so much, considering we already have three of them. But I just recently had some trouble at my job and I'm not sure they're going to keep me on, so I'm probably not going to be buying anything much in the future. XD