English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 08 February 2013, 16:15   #2841
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Or buy some new seals from Rainer Benda.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/5-x-Commodore...item1c2fcd6949
Old 08 February 2013, 16:22   #2842
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Aga View Post
Oh sorry.
Well... if they lasted this long it would be a shame to break them
Well, it might be necessary at some point when the caps go bad enough. I had an A600 with an intact seal that I broke half a year ago. It had a bad case of cap leakage which had eaten its way through vias etc., so it wouldn't boot anymore. It might not be the best choice to wait until it stops working to open it up as it might run fine for several years after the caps start leaking, giving it plenty of time to destroy the copper.
Old 08 February 2013, 17:05   #2843
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

True. All my Miggies are with open seals, for checking and upgrade reasons. And the new Petro's one on its way will be opened for inspection as soon as it arrives. I would do so regardless of the seal.
But... can't argue with the eye of the collector
Old 08 February 2013, 18:06   #2844
moijk
License to Bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Aga View Post
Oh sorry.
Well... if they lasted this long it would be a shame to break them
Intact seals is the sign of a boring life for an Amiga
Old 09 February 2013, 11:11   #2845
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Ha ha, well said my friend
Old 11 February 2013, 18:21   #2846
chocolate_boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
My test A600 has 37.300 and 2G CF works fine.

It must have some limit but I am quite sure it is not size but some other (possibly related to size) incompatibility. I'll debug this someday.
Seconded, 37.300 works with my 4gb Sandisk cfcard just fine too. The 40mb limit is false rumour perpetuated on the forums for years. The limit is 4 gig.
Old 03 April 2013, 04:27   #2847
thgill

Posted this over at Amibay, and thought I would try here as well.

So, just received an ACA1232 and having troubles getting the memory on the board to be added. This is a more or less stock A1200 with 3.0 roms and a 32GB SD card partitioned into 3 partitions that are SFS formatted. kick31.rom is located in DH0:System

Installed ACATune 1.7

This is at the top of my startup sequence:

ACATune -maprom System:kick31.rom -cache on -burst on >NIL:

Machine boots up fine, however all it adds is 1mb fast ram. Can not get the rest to show up.

Thoughts?
Old 03 April 2013, 09:34   #2848
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
I dont know how important but I have C: before ACATune

Also the Maprom seems to be case sensitive including the line System: (you might need to make the S lower case or try dh0: instead.

Some Kickstart are not supported like Amiga Forever.

Also I found any error in the line an all ACATune commands seem to be ignored!

To add the Ram you just need to run ACATune, open CLI and type ACATune you might need to do a soft reset to see of your Memory is added.

Also be sure that you added ACATune to C: in the first place!

My final advice, try first with just:

C:ACATune >NIL:

Tell me if your Ram shows up.

At any time in Workbench you can open CLI and type:

ACATune -Status to show you what options are being used.
Old 03 April 2013, 11:03   #2849
jimbob

I'm not sure this will fix your problem but System: isn't normally one of the volumes available by default like c: s: or sys:

I think you need to use the full path to a ROM file.

DH0:system/kick31.rom
Old 03 April 2013, 11:41   #2850
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

I have my Rom in Devs:

My ACATune line reads exactly:

Quote:
C:acatune -maprom devs:ks39.rom -burst on -cache on >NIL:
Also you mentioned you're using a 32gb SD card, I assume you have some kind of scsi.device patch? You could put the updated scsi.device inside a custom Rom image
Old 03 April 2013, 13:14   #2851
Nostromo

Just wondering, what are the chances of a new Indivision being released with an HDMI socket with audio on it?
Old 03 April 2013, 14:16   #2852
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Hum... wrong thread mate. This thread is for the ACA accelerators :P
Old 03 April 2013, 14:25   #2853
Nostromo

Oh oops.

But wait, while at it I do have a relevant question

I need to get myself an accelerator soon for my strictly WHDload A1200 machine. Which is the cheapest/most compatible option for me? (timing fixes and all that scares me)
Old 03 April 2013, 19:14   #2854
Nipedley

If all you want is WHDload, a cheap RAM expansion (are they cheap these days?) would push your system the least (less likely to cause timing issues etc.)

That said, I've an ACA1230/56 in mine and it's been fantastic, and if it did have any issues with my board I doubt it'd be much effort to get it sorted.
Old 03 April 2013, 19:21   #2855
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Have a look at the ACA1220, from £72 and will give you 128mb Ram and Maprom to load in a custom Rom or just map your internal Rom to the fast memory to speed up your system:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...oducts_id=1100

Often 4/8mb Ram boards on eBay can sell for a similar price unless you can find one on Amibay cheaper, but they don't come up too often now.

There are other ACA's too that provide 030 CPU's for a bit more of a speed boost, but for just WHDload the 1220 is perfect and it's a brand new item with warranty.

The only point to mention with the ACA cards is they can bring out timing issues that you might not get with other cards and can mean spending extra money getting timing fixes done or capacitors replaced which eventually you'll need to do the latter anyway... (Assuming you can't do the work yourself.)
Old 03 April 2013, 21:56   #2856
roy bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostromo View Post
Oh oops.

But wait, while at it I do have a relevant question

I need to get myself an accelerator soon for my strictly WHDload A1200 machine. Which is the cheapest/most compatible option for me? (timing fixes and all that scares me)

get a blizzard 1230 if you can find one,it'll never let you down and dont ever need any timing fixes
Old 03 April 2013, 23:10   #2857
Mr B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostromo View Post
Just wondering, what are the chances of a new Indivision being released with an HDMI socket with audio on it?
As was said, this isn't the place for that question, but rather, over here. That said. The chance is slim, next to none. We'd all want it, but it's not likely to happen. As luck may have it, almost all units that can accept a HDMI video-feed also will let you select a analog input for the sound, if they are capable of playing sound at all. And Kipper2k made that analog audio mod, letting you stick the sound in to the cable, and breaking it out "on the other end". It's a crude solution, but it works, if you want to get rid of the audio cable. If you got more questions about that, better get it in that other thread... ;- )
Old 18 April 2013, 01:14   #2858
shleed

I recently got an ACA-1220 for my Amiga 1200. It has a 2B board so I was aware I may have to apply timing fixes.

Once I received the card, I put it in and all seemed well. However, it started to lock up randomly after a short while and sometimes failed to boot into Workbench fully.

However, after removing 125C and 123C, it seems to work fine now. No random freezes or anything of the sort yet despite using it for hours. WHDLoad games seem to work fine, although some WHDLoad Demos such as State of the Art don't work right, however I suspect that to be more due to the config of them itself than the ACA itself.

To cover bases, I also ordered a PSU from Amigakit just in case my current PSU contributed to the freezing to an extent. Besides, the extra juice could come handy for future expansions and mods.

Going back to timing issues, is there any good recommendations to test in case any further fixes are needed?

Old 18 April 2013, 02:25   #2859
NovaCoder

Hiya,

Are you sure that you should have removed 125C and 123C?

Timing issues with 1200 motherboards seems to be a bit of a 'black art', you can't go by your motherboard revision either as they are all a bit 'individual' if you know what I mean.

For anyone having MB issues the first thing I'd recommend is to change your CAPS if they haven't been done already, after that check your power supply and only after you've eliminated those two would I start to investigate timing fixes. You would obviously use a 'clean' install of WB for testing (eg no hacks/patches installed).

I sent my 1200 motherboard to AmigaKit and got them to replace the CAPS and at the same time asked them to test with an ACA card and fix up the timing issues they found. They did a really good job, very happy with the service they offer.
Old 18 April 2013, 12:54   #2860
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by shleed View Post
I recently got an ACA-1220 for my Amiga 1200. It has a 2B board so I was aware I may have to apply timing fixes.

Once I received the card, I put it in and all seemed well. However, it started to lock up randomly after a short while and sometimes failed to boot into Workbench fully.

However, after removing 125C and 123C, it seems to work fine now. No random freezes or anything of the sort yet despite using it for hours. WHDLoad games seem to work fine, although some WHDLoad Demos such as State of the Art don't work right, however I suspect that to be more due to the config of them itself than the ACA itself.

To cover bases, I also ordered a PSU from Amigakit just in case my current PSU contributed to the freezing to an extent. Besides, the extra juice could come handy for future expansions and mods.

Going back to timing issues, is there any good recommendations to test in case any further fixes are needed?
Im guessing you have E123R and E125R, installed?