English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 27 July 2021, 19:48   #1
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Bad/Meh Amiga ports of good computer/console/arcade games that might need a Remake

I Leave this list here for posterity and hoping someone can remake one of those as a hobby undertaking (since those are ports i really doubt there will be any money to make) plus bad is subjective i suppose - feel free to add more games that i might have forgot, and i can help for some assets like remade music if needed

- Bomb Jack
[remake done by mcGeezer as Bomb Jack Beer Edition]
- Bubble Bobble
[remake done by Pink/Abyss as Tiny Bobble]
- Wonder Boy in Monster Land
[a refactor was started by Earok]
- Dragon Spirit
[a refactor was started by Earok]
- Castlevania
- Rolling Thunder
- Bionic Commando
- Dinasty Wars
- Black Tiger
[Chadderack is looking on it, no promises though]
- Ghouls'n'Ghosts
- Tiger Road
- Power Drift
- Galaxy Force
- Turbo Out Run
- Chase HQ
- Out Run
[one remake and one refactor on STE both in progress]
- Robocop
[remake by Seko in progress]
- Cisco Heat
- Shinobi
- Darius
- Alien Syndrome
- ESWAT
- L.E.D. Storm
- Super C
- Flyin' Shark
- Gemini Wing
- Forgotten Worlds (added by kremiso)
- New Zealand Story (added by jotd)
- Street Fighter I (added by Demoniac)
- Street Fighter 2
- Strider (added by Demoniac)
- UN Squadron (added by Demoniac)
- Final Fight
[AGA version started but unfinished ]
- Vindicators (added by Gimbal)
- Xybots
- Microprose Soccer (added by Etze)
- Side Arms (added by Kremiso)
- Joe & Mac Caveman Ninja (added ky d4rk3lf)
- Battletoads (added by demoniac)
- Ninja Gaiden 2
- TMNT coin op (added by d4rk3lf)
- TMNT console game
- Double Dragon I
[lot of attempts but so far none proceeding]
- Thunder Blade (added by demoniac)
- Soldier of Light AKa Xain'D'Sleena (added by Cobe)

Last edited by saimon69; 09 August 2021 at 22:23. Reason: added chadderack involvement on black tiger
Old 28 July 2021, 03:59   #2
Cammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
hoping someone can remake one of those as a hobby undertaking (since those are ports i really doubt there will be any money to make)
I am so thankful for all the amazing ports people have made for us in recent years, and I do think it's a shame they go unrewarded for it. In many cases they are putting in just as much effort as anyone producing new commercial Amiga games, but they can't sell them. I believe they deserve something for their hard work, and I have been working on a plan together with some amazing people in the Amiga community to encourage development of games like this and reward the people involved.

I just hope anyone thinking about it can wait until the end of the month to begin.
Old 28 July 2021, 07:59   #3
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Well i thought on create a bounty system like the AROS one for ports and remakes but am honestly not that good on handling money and balances :/
Old 28 July 2021, 08:32   #4
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
New zealand story would be cool in AGA. The game should be ported from the x68000 version, graphics easy to convert in IFF format, and the main program too
Old 28 July 2021, 09:09   #5
kremiso

Forgotten Worlds AGA, finally with ALL the levels

i'm nut for that game
Old 28 July 2021, 12:12   #6
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I second Wonderboy. I do love that game (especially because it was one of the first games I played on the Amiga) but I also dislike it so, so much... Bad framerate, sluggish gameplay, weird jumping animation, time passes way too fast and the long loading times make no sense for a game like this. And some of the bosses were gutted pretty bad.
Old 28 July 2021, 14:22   #7
rothers

You could make an arcade perfect Wonderboy in Amos or Blitz I'd have thought. Nothing complex about that game at all.
Old 28 July 2021, 17:34   #8
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
I second Wonderboy. I do love that game (especially because it was one of the first games I played on the Amiga) but I also dislike it so, so much... Bad framerate, sluggish gameplay, weird jumping animation, time passes way too fast and the long loading times make no sense for a game like this. And some of the bosses were gutted pretty bad.
Wonder if a remake with Scorpion Engine is feasible feature-wise
Old 28 July 2021, 17:46   #9
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremiso View Post

i'm nut for that game
AND that game (on amiga at least) is nuts! Controls are a bit weird i remember but technically was decent despite me not being a fan of the colors in level 1 - but 'i'll finish him today for sure ' and btw is a spiritual sequel to Side Arms and action is in the same universe
[and to make sure i did check and in the final level of the arcade some of Side Arms first stage enemy appears]

Last edited by saimon69; 28 July 2021 at 19:21.
Old 28 July 2021, 17:55   #10
pink^abyss

A proper Giana Sisters version with PreTracker music & better gfx would be something (in 32 colors and lets say in 64kb for a mini challenge). With graphics by Arne

Old 28 July 2021, 18:35   #11
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink^abyss View Post
A proper Giana Sisters version with PreTracker music & better gfx would be something (in 32 colors and lets say in 64kb for a mini challenge). With graphics by Arne

Well we had the special edition with the graphics by Tsak and if someone can hack the music could help
Old 28 July 2021, 18:52   #12
Retro1234
Phone Homer

earok's Scorpion engine would probably be capable of doing quite a lot of these.
Old 28 July 2021, 19:52   #13
demoniac

One could just go down the Capcom/U.S. Gold/Tierex game lists. Here are some that comes to mind:

Dynasty Wars
Street Fighter
Strider
Strider II
U.N. Squadron
Old 28 July 2021, 20:19   #14
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Well we had the special edition with the graphics by Tsak and if someone can hack the music could help
I'd argue that Arne's designs showcase much more character and have a very contemporary aura and style (plus they're all originals) hense I'd personally love to see a new remake using them
Paired with the fact that these can be animated pretty nicely (free from the frame limitations we had to follow due to the hack), plus the new engine allowing for much better backdrops and variety and I can already imagine a far superior result.

The only problem then is that after all the above it would probably be a crime to leave the gameplay unattended
Old 28 July 2021, 20:30   #15
Havie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremiso View Post

i'm nut for that game
Still need to sort out the control method though - perhaps use of mouse and keyboard?
Old 28 July 2021, 20:31   #16
Havie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothers View Post
You could make an arcade perfect Wonderboy in Amos or Blitz I'd have thought. Nothing complex about that game at all.
Don't say things like that - I get easily sucked in (as in Space Invaders)! Have a game of my own to work on...
Old 28 July 2021, 23:10   #17
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoniac View Post
One could just go down the Capcom/U.S. Gold/Tierex game lists. Here are some that comes to mind:

Dynasty Wars
Street Fighter
Strider
Strider II
U.N. Squadron
How did i forgot the unholy works of Tiertex?
Especially Strider and Street Fighter, source of HUGE disappointment
(btw once again i remind how SF1 was object of an April Fool in 1989 in Italy where a remake for US supposedly made by Discovery Software was announced)
Old 28 July 2021, 23:34   #18
rothers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havie View Post
Don't say things like that - I get easily sucked in (as in Space Invaders)! Have a game of my own to work on...

AMOS does have issues with scrolling engines from what I remember, they are tricky to get working perfectly.

Blitz might be better here.
Old 28 July 2021, 23:43   #19
Retro1234
Phone Homer

I've uploaded code in the past of hardware tile scrolling in both Blitz and Amos and there's basically no difference.

I basically wrote it in Amos and pasted it into Blitz with minor syntax Changes.

Blitz is definitely better at Blitting Bobs but I always thought I could beat it with a custom routine in Amos.

But there both great

If you want to code it yourself obviously 8 way tile scrolling is the holly grail.
Old 29 July 2021, 08:36   #20
kremiso

Quote:
AND that game (on amiga at least) is nuts! Controls are a bit weird i remember but technically was decent despite me not being a fan of the colors in level 1 - but 'i'll finish him today for sure ' and btw is a spiritual sequel to Side Arms and action is in the same universe
[and to make sure i did check and in the final level of the arcade some of Side Arms first stage enemy appears]
i would like to listen your personal approach to the audio side of the game
imo the existent tunes are already good, half work already done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havie View Post
Still need to sort out the control method though - perhaps use of mouse and keyboard?
a multi-set would be great
personally, my fave set would be joystick with two buttons (clockwise and anticlockwise rotation), with autofire enabled;
or the Megadrive setting, with 3 buttons

on emulation, i would set a dpad for the movement and an analog stick for the 360 shooting

Last edited by kremiso; 29 July 2021 at 08:43.