English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 05 February 2021, 10:24   #2741
Jope
-

Working on hazy memories here; the Paloma is an overlay card, so you would have to have a PicassoIV screen topmost for it to be able to draw onto the screen.

Most likely you also must use the P96 RTG software.
Old 07 February 2021, 18:37   #2742
dreadnought

Here's a really silly one: where is the default WinUAE config located?

I looked at C:\Users\Public\Documents\Amiga Files\WinUAE\Configurations\ but this one has just some of my configs.

There are also some in c:\Program Files\WinUAE\Configurations\Host\ but it seems they are for gfx only.
Old 15 March 2021, 20:35   #2743
jdb78

I just installed WinUAE for the first time on my recent Windows 10 installation and the default path is indeed
Code:
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Amiga Files\WinUAE\Configurations\

Last edited by jdb78; 15 March 2021 at 20:35. Reason: Typo
Old 15 March 2021, 21:03   #2744
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Here's a really silly one: where is the default WinUAE config located?

I looked at C:\Users\Public\Documents\Amiga Files\WinUAE\Configurations\ but this one has just some of my configs.

There are also some in c:\Program Files\WinUAE\Configurations\Host\ but it seems they are for gfx only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb78 View Post
I just installed WinUAE for the first time on my recent Windows 10 installation and the default path is indeed
Code:
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Amiga Files\WinUAE\Configurations\
That's normal. "Host" just contain some presets that Toni created.

Personally I never use the installers, no need.

Just use the .ZIP archives and extract where you want e.g. mine is in "C:\WinUAE".
Old 16 March 2021, 00:51   #2745
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Personally I never use the installers, no need.

Just use the .ZIP archives and extract where you want e.g. mine is in "C:\WinUAE".
I don't even extract the ZIP archive, I just take out the winuae.exe and run that by itself, it doesn't even need any of the other stuff that comes in the ZIP archive, it's all optional.

Toni is a genius for making WinUAE so self-contained.
Old 16 March 2021, 07:14   #2746
jdb78

Sorry for the OT but I agree, WinUAE is one of the best available programs I know.
Old 21 March 2021, 14:19   #2747
rabidgerry

How do I associate an icon for .archive with LHA and ZIP files and the like? I have tried to do this but I just don't have the knowledge. This is in OS 3.1.4.

I originally didn't even have an icon for archive so borrowed one from my CWB3.1
Old 22 March 2021, 07:08   #2748
Jope
-

You copy an icon of the type "project" next to your lha or zip file, with the extension.info.

So you have mypackage.lha and mypackage.lha.info.

If you would like imaginary ghost icons that automatically show up without an actual .info file on your hard disk, you need deficons. This does not come with 3.1.4, but the one that was included in 3.9 can be extracted and moved over. Apparently the version of deficons that ships with the newicons v4 package is not 3.1.4 compatible. This might be a bit daunting if you are a newcomer to AmigaOS.
Old 22 March 2021, 07:29   #2749
nivam

Silly question:
Whats the point to create trashcan icon on a floppy disk?
Old 22 March 2021, 07:34   #2750
TroyWilkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivam View Post
Silly question:
Whats the point to create trashcan icon on a floppy disk?
I'd say so that there is a potential "undo" for people who may use the floppy disk to store documents they may consider important. Mind you, it still means they need to not just simply delete the files on the floppy, but make use of the trashcan. In all honesty, I think it's an option because the Macintosh had that in 1984.
Old 22 March 2021, 07:43   #2751
nivam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyWilkins View Post
I'd say so that there is a potential "undo" for people who may use the floppy disk to store documents they may consider important. Mind you, it still means they need to not just simply delete the files on the floppy, but make use of the trashcan. In all honesty, I think it's an option because the Macintosh had that in 1984.
So when you have a full Workbench install (say 3.1) deleting a file from floppy moves it to the floppy trashcan, not to the system trashcan.
Old 22 March 2021, 08:06   #2752
TroyWilkins

Quote:
So when you have a full Workbench install (say 3.1) deleting a file from floppy moves it to the floppy trashcan, not to the system trashcan.
No, I meant if you were storing the files on that floppy.

The Trashcan is best thought of as a special folder/directory on whatever drive it's on, that can have it's contents restored by moving the files elsewhere, or the contents can be easily deleted, no matter how many files are in the transcan. There is a unique trashcan for each drive that has one, there isn't a global trashcan unless a 3rd party utility is used to add one.
Old 22 March 2021, 09:08   #2753
Jope
-

Quote:
The Amiga's trashcan is always manual.. In 1.x the only way to get rid of files in WB was dragging them into the trashcan and then emptying the trash.

In 2.x we got the delete items menu option, which actually deletes the file right away.

You have to use the trashcan on that volume. Drag drop within the volume = move, drag drop from volume to volume = copy.

You can imagine, that everyone used the CLI/Shell or at least a mouse driven file manager. And basically you still have to choose either or both in order to be productive on the Amiga. :-)
Old 22 March 2021, 10:16   #2754
nivam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
The Amiga's trashcan is always manual.. In 1.x the only way to get rid of files in WB was dragging them into the trashcan and then emptying the trash.

In 2.x we got the delete items menu option, which actually deletes the file right away.

You have to use the trashcan on that volume. Drag drop within the volume = move, drag drop from volume to volume = copy.

You can imagine, that everyone used the CLI/Shell or at least a mouse driven file manager. And basically you still have to choose either or both in order to be productive on the Amiga. :-)

Understood thank you
Old 22 March 2021, 10:30   #2755
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
From within a Shell, you can easily define and use a "global" trashcan.
Sorry only have a KS/WB1.3 (with CONman & ARP installed) under the hands - no 3.1 (but doesn't change a lot)
Basic example (be sure to have a "sys:Trashcan" folder) :
open a shell and type :
Edit your s:Shell-Startup script and add this line to keep it permanently.

alias dlt move FROM [] TO sys:Trashcan

now, every time you will invoke the 'dlt' "command" the file(s) are going to stored in "sys:Trashcan".

ex: dlt ThisIsADummyTextFile

Will not delete the file ThisIsADummyTextFile but will move it to sys:Trashcan.
Of course this is perfectible, but I will let you search for optimisation .
If you still want to delete the usual way, the AmigaOS command delete is still available.
Old 22 March 2021, 10:56   #2756
nivam

@malko
Thats something new to rediscover. I'll try that to see how it works. Thank you
Old 22 March 2021, 11:07   #2757
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
You copy an icon of the type "project" next to your lha or zip file, with the extension.info.

So you have mypackage.lha and mypackage.lha.info.

If you would like imaginary ghost icons that automatically show up without an actual .info file on your hard disk, you need deficons. This does not come with 3.1.4, but the one that was included in 3.9 can be extracted and moved over. Apparently the version of deficons that ships with the newicons v4 package is not 3.1.4 compatible. This might be a bit daunting if you are a newcomer to AmigaOS.
That worked, mind you renaming within the drive didn't work by itself. However renaming using Dopus allowed me to create a MyPackage.lha.info and since I already had a tool assigned to open archives that worked as well.

So no way I can get my system to recognise all archive type files then without deficons? What is Deficons and how do I get it? Quick search in Aminet doesn't bring what the correct software, well I don't think it is.
Old 22 March 2021, 11:14   #2758
Daedalus

DefIcons is included as a part of OS 3.9. There's also a version bundled with NewIcons (IIRC it's slightly older but works with 3.1), so you can download and extract that but only install the DefIcons patch.
Old 23 March 2021, 15:37   #2759
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
OK, new question: Why is Sensible Soccer called soccer and not football? Wasn't Sensible Software British?
Old 23 March 2021, 15:44   #2760
Gryfon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkis21 View Post
OK, new question: Why is Sensible Soccer called soccer and not football? Wasn't Sensible Software British?
I suspect so it would appeal to a wider market. Don't know for sure.