English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 02 December 2023, 18:59   #1
demether

"please insert volume..." nightmare

Finally, I"ve got my two amigas running, recapped, maxed out, and all. and when I try ti install and use the softwares I was planning to use (octamed SS, octamed 4, protracker 2.3, protracker 3.6) everytime I want to do a disk operation (loading a sample, a mod) the computer ask me "please insert this or that volume".

I'm only using software from trusted amiga websites, from here, aminet, and all. It drives me crazy

Help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 02 December 2023, 19:16   #2
Seiya

some software require assigns in s:user-startup. Some installer make it automatically, but not all. You have to read "read.me" or the "guide" inside the software that explain you how to do.
Old 02 December 2023, 19:19   #3
fryguy

You can use something like Assignwedge (maybe there are better applications which does the same now(?))

https://aminet.net/package/util/wb/AssignWedge
Old 02 December 2023, 19:50   #4
demether

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
some software require assigns in s:user-startup. Some installer make it automatically, but not all. You have to read "read.me" or the "guide" inside the software that explain you how to do.

I did it. No answer anywhere.

Quote:
You can use something like Assignwedge (maybe there are better applications which does the same now(?))

I don't know what I should do with that. Back in time, I just purchased octamed soundstudio, on cdrom, and it simply worked. Now I try to use the same program, downloaded from trust amiga websites, and it doesn't work.

thank you both for your answers.
Old 02 December 2023, 20:04   #5
CCRider

Well, the both best answers to your problem were already given.

Now, if you don't want to do it, it's up with you.
Old 02 December 2023, 20:21   #6
daxb

Maybe there is set the wrong default path for samples/modules in the preferences. If so, change them and save.
Old 02 December 2023, 20:35   #7
demether

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCRider View Post
Well, the both best answers to your problem were already given.

Now, if you don't want to do it, it's up with you.

Best answers ? I really thank the guys with positive answers, I tried the first one and it doens't work. the other answer say that I have to use a software...OK, but what I should do with it ?
Old 02 December 2023, 21:27   #8
fryguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by demether View Post
Best answers ? I really thank the guys with positive answers, I tried the first one and it doens't work. the other answer say that I have to use a software...OK, but what I should do with it ?
It will help you make the assign, you can just click a button to assign a disklabel to a drawer when an application asks to insert a disk.
Old 02 December 2023, 22:03   #9
van_dammesque

Sounds like it is trying top open the last directory that was used, try making sure the disks are write enabled then open a sample in a more simplistic place.
Old 03 December 2023, 02:12   #10
Seiya

@demether
try to look at "user-startup" to see if the path is correct. Some installer try to install in specific path that sometimes is different fron your default.

you have a partition boot called "system" and a software make an assign with the path "work".

Say wath software give you propblems. Maybe you have installed good the softgware, you have right assigns, but the directory that contains midi, mod, or other format is different from default required by the software.
Old 03 December 2023, 10:43   #11
Dunny

Get some screenshots of the requesters that pop up and people will be able to advise exactly what you need to do - but be aware that it will likely still require editing user-startup
Old 11 December 2023, 13:42   #12
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by demether View Post
Finally, I"ve got my two amigas running, recapped, maxed out, and all. and when I try ti install and use the softwares I was planning to use (octamed SS, octamed 4, protracker 2.3, protracker 3.6) everytime I want to do a disk operation (loading a sample, a mod) the computer ask me "please insert this or that volume".
It very much sounds like you need to go into the settings/preferences of each program and adjust the default locations of things to match your system.

Protracker will always want an ST-00: assign where it stores / reads its configuration, this is something you must do yourself in your user-startup.

All of this is quite normal in the Amiga world, you should familiarize yourself with devices, volumes, assigns.