English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 15 December 2022, 18:39   #101
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Keir has now modified his DM decoder in Disk-Utilities to make an IPF that works under emulation, so let's get testing!!
Wow I wrote to him on Facebook when this thread opened and he didn't think it would be possible.
Old 15 December 2022, 19:23   #102
BarryB
Amigaholic

Under emulation it seems possible but writing back to disk may need it saving as an SCP file in DU and writing that back with a Greaseweazle to test!
Old 15 December 2022, 20:42   #103
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
Just a 'heads up'!

Keir has now modified his DM decoder in Disk-Utilities to make an IPF that works under emulation, so let's get testing!!
WOW!

Where can it be downloaded from?

Last edited by Supamax; 15 December 2022 at 20:53.
Old 15 December 2022, 20:44   #104
Supamax

Quote:
Under emulation it seems possible but writing back to disk may need it saving as an SCP file in DU and writing that back with a Greaseweazle to test!
What do you mean with "saving as an SCP file in DU"?
DU = DM decoder?

Currently the .scp image done by lesta_smsc seems the better one (I'll test the others too, though). He wrote it back to real floppy disk and it seems to work, as opposed to other images.
Old 15 December 2022, 21:03   #105
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supamax View Post
What do you mean with "saving as an SCP file in DU"?
DU = DM decoder?

Currently the .scp image done by lesta_smsc seems the better one (I'll test the others too, though). He wrote it back to real floppy disk and it seems to work, as opposed to other images.
Yes, use your KF/GW dump of DM in DU to make an SCP then write it back with a Greaseweazle, no guarantee that will work though.
Old 15 December 2022, 21:40   #106
Supamax

Quote:
Yes, use your KF/GW dump of DM in DU to make an SCP then write it back with a Greaseweazle, no guarantee that will work though.
Where can I download the latest release/beta of DU?
Old 16 December 2022, 03:51   #107
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
The problem with DM's protections is that one can't be sure until he longplays it till the very end .
If you just want to play DM (and Chaos Strikes Back and custom dungeons), then check out meynaf's version of the game: https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=49830 Requires an accelerated Amiga (68020+ and some ram) but runs multitasking under the OS.
Old 16 December 2022, 05:29   #108
Snoopy1234

Quote:
Where can I download the latest release/beta of DU?
in the Creating your own IPF's thread.

I've downloaded it and converted your non-working scp to ipf and this time it worked as far as the hall of champions and might be ok. I haven't tested further. It's in the Zone if you aren't converting your own image.
Old 16 December 2022, 06:00   #109
Supamax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy1234 View Post
in the Creating your own IPF's thread.
Ok, thanks (I'm already following that thread, but I wanted to be sure to have the "official" source)

Quote:
I've downloaded it and converted your non-working scp to ipf and this time it worked as far as the hall of champions and might be ok. I haven't tested further. It's in the Zone if you aren't converting your own image.
Thanks.
So it would seem that the IPF file derived from my image is working, even if I can't use anymore my original floppy (the protection kicks in) with my A600HD (bought by me on eBay some years ago)?
Last time I played it (MANY MANY years ago) it was working, on my old/original A500 KS1.2 (the first Amiga I had, which I bought new).
I don't remember, when I discovered it's not working anymore, if I tested it on that A500 also (which I still have), but it surely is not working on the A600HD.
If it's not a problem of the original floppy disk, than maybe it's a drive issue... or KS2 compatibility issue?

Or probably Keir utility, when creating the IPF, recreates/refreshes the weak track (or I should say stores that information in the IPF structure, without data) regardless of what's in track 0 side 1 of my (and others') .scp image?

Last edited by Supamax; 16 December 2022 at 06:44.
Old 16 December 2022, 06:58   #110
Snoopy1234

[/QUOTE]
Last time I played it (MANY MANY years ago) it was working, on my old/original A500 KS1.2 (the first Amiga I had, which I bought new).
I don't remember, when I discovered it's not working anymore, if I tested it on that A500 also (which I still have), but it surely is not working on the A600HD.
If it's not a problem of the original floppy disk, than maybe it's a drive issue... or KS2 compatibility issue?
[/QUOTE]

I can confirm that the new ipf doesn't load under kickstart 2.05 A600 in emulation. It seems the rom revision is using some sort of double step disk access that is incompatible. It might be a case of your original disk being slightly worn and the A600 being incompatible. Someone else could test A600 emulation with the ipf. It is known that a lot of the games from the previous OS's were incompatible with 2.x OS.

[/QUOTE]
Or probably Keir utility, when creating the IPF, recreates/refreshes the weak track (or I should say stores that information in the IPF structure, without data) regardless of what's in track 0 side 1 of my (and others') .scp image?[/QUOTE]

Yes it delineates random data so only genuine digital master data is preserved. There are still variances when writing a disk due to physical equipment.
Old 16 December 2022, 07:05   #111
Supamax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
If you just want to play DM (and Chaos Strikes Back and custom dungeons), then check out meynaf's version of the game: https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=49830 Requires an accelerated Amiga (68020+ and some ram) but runs multitasking under the OS.
Thanks .
Noted , but I'm currently mainly interested to contributing to correctly image/preserve the original DM 2.
Old 16 December 2022, 07:12   #112
Snoopy1234

[QUOTE=Supamax;1582078]Ok, thanks (I'm already following that thread, but I wanted to be sure to have the "official" source)

you would have to compile it yourself with something like Visual Studios in Windows or a Linux alternative. Keir Frasers' Github page.
I couldn't work it out myself so the pre-compiled version available here is a bonus.
Old 16 December 2022, 07:15   #113
Supamax

Quote:
I can confirm that the new ipf doesn't load under kickstart 2.05 A600 in emulation. It seems the rom revision is using some sort of double step disk access that is incompatible. It might be a case of your original disk being slightly worn and the A600 being incompatible. Someone else could test A600 emulation with the ipf. It is known that a lot of the games from the previous OS's were incompatible with 2.x OS.
Hmmm, I see... so my original floppy might be undamaged, after all...
I'll test it on my A500 when I have time... although it would be strange I didn't do it when I found the issue on my A600HD. We'll see...

Quote:
Quote:
Or probably Keir utility, when creating the IPF, recreates/refreshes the weak track (or I should say stores that information in the IPF structure, without data) regardless of what's in track 0 side 1 of my (and others') .scp image?
Yes it delineates random data so only genuine digital master data is preserved. There are still variances when writing a disk due to physical equipment.
Ok.
I tested your .ipf and it seems working.
I then converted it back to .scp (using Keirf disk-utilities and the correct format parameter) but the protection kicks in when clicking on the floppy save icon in the character menu.
So I would say that the original .scp image MUST be kept, too.
(unless I did something wrong when using the Keirf disk-utilities. Do you want to try the ipf-->scp conversion, too?)

Quote:
Yes, that's what I did (see above). If I did it correctly, it's not working.

Last edited by Supamax; 16 December 2022 at 07:44.
Old 16 December 2022, 07:28   #114
Supamax

Quote:
If we want to be able to write it back to real floppy (thus creating a 100% working protected copy), I mean.
Unless I did something wrong with Keirf utility, of course.

If I did the conversion correctly, another way could be trying to directly using the .ipf with Greaseweazle's GW.exe utility for writing to a real floppy.
And then see if the recreated original is working... (I fear not)
Old 16 December 2022, 07:42   #115
Snoopy1234

Quote:
Hmmm, I see... so my original floppy might be undamaged, after all...
I'll test it on my A500 when I have time... although it would be strange I didn't do it when I found the issue on my A600HD. We'll see...

Ok.
I tested your .ipf and it seems working.
I then converted it back to .scp (using Keirf disk-utilities and the correct format parameter) but the protection kicks in when clicking on the floppy save icon in the character menu.
(unless I did something wrong when using the Keirf disk-utilities. Do you want to try the ipf-->scp conversion, too?)
Seems ips won't stand back engineering. converted ipf => scp fails on disk save.
Old 16 December 2022, 08:04   #116
Supamax

Quote:
Seems ips won't stand back engineering. converted ipf => scp fails on disk save.
Ok.
However now we can have a working .ipf and that's already a great result!
Old 16 December 2022, 08:46   #117
Snoopy1234

Eek

Quote:
Ok.
However now we can have a working .ipf and that's already a great result!
I now know. I've written the "track shifted" version of the scp of yours to disk and it passes the character save test on my A1200 with Relokick 1.4 - OS 1.3.

The new ipf doesn't pass the character save test when written to disk as you suspected!

Your original scp doesn't work anywhere so I think the shifted one of that might be the most viable image.
Old 16 December 2022, 12:25   #118
BarryB
Amigaholic

I've been playing the IPF in WinUAE from a saved game disk (ADF) I had when I was using the SCP and for nearly 2 hours now not ran into any issue with saving to the ADF, it not recognising the IPF as the original disk or guru'ing while playing!

Only on Level 2, Choose your door choose your fate!
Old 16 December 2022, 13:52   #119
Snoopy1234

Quote:
I've been playing the IPF in WinUAE from a saved game disk (ADF) I had when I was using the SCP and for nearly 2 hours now not ran into any issue with saving to the ADF, it not recognising the IPF as the original disk or guru'ing while playing!

Only on Level 2, Choose your door choose your fate!
Emulation maybe but on real hardware the ipf doesn't work
Old 16 December 2022, 14:56   #120
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Emulation maybe but on real hardware the ipf doesn't work
It was never stated the IPF would work on real hardware, the IPF generated is for emulation only, rather a conversion of IPF > SCP > Greaseweazle > Disk *may* work.

Last edited by BarryB; 16 December 2022 at 15:19.