English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 04 February 2008, 18:08   #1
ancalimon
Supernormal

Is there a way to make pointer behave like NTSC while still PAL is set

As you can see from the subject field, my technical knowledge is nill and programming skills are limited to
10 print "Amiga"
20 goto 10

What I am trying to achive is smooth moving mouse pointer on my CVisionPPC screen

I use a utility called tude (should be on aminet) to switch to ntsc and When I do that mouse pointer starts to move smoothly on my CVisionPPC screen (which I finetuned to 50hz I think).

I used this script:
run >NIL: C:tude hertz=hwntsc

But this messed with PAL programs and modules as far as I remember (I haven't used my 4000T since 2003 and it's being repaired right now)

If that was the case I used:
run >NIL: C:tude hertz=hwpal

What I'd like to know is if it's possible to make the pointer behave like that hwntsc but keep the timing or whatever to PAL so that games modules etc played all right.
Old 04 February 2008, 18:49   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

How the hell did you discover that switching AGA to 60Hz had any effect on the mouse pointer on the RTG (CVPPC) screen?

I bet it doesn't and the cause is something else. It has to be.

What screen mode are you in (on your CVPPC)?

What games did setting NTSC affect? Using WHDload and tool-types it should be possible to come up the a solution.

Last edited by alexh; 04 February 2008 at 18:56.
Old 04 February 2008, 19:09   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

At least emulated Picasso96 mouse movement gets smoother if you increase custom chip refresh rate. (p96refresh utility)

I am not 100% sure but I guess it happens because mouse position is read in vblank interrupt handler.
Old 04 February 2008, 20:00   #4
ancalimon
Supernormal

It was by accident I discovered this. I made the resolutions myself when my 4000T was working using CGX. I was trying to achieve that silky smooth pointer movement that I missed so much while using CGX screen.

Can't test them right now because it doesn't seem to have any effect on my WinUAE Amikit installation. I have the monitor file of CVisionPPC in my amiga HDD though.
Old 04 February 2008, 20:07   #5
ancalimon
Supernormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
At least emulated Picasso96 mouse movement gets smoother if you increase custom chip refresh rate. (p96refresh utility)

I am not 100% sure but I guess it happens because mouse position is read in vblank interrupt handler.
Toni I just discovered p96refresh and using

p96refresh 60 makes the pointer silk smooth It has the same effect. Does this effect any other thing? Like faster playing modules. I'll try it now.
Old 04 February 2008, 20:11   #6
ancalimon
Supernormal

And while we are at it. Under Windows movement is really smooth and moving Windows is really smooth also.

But under Workbench and also Winuae emulated Workbench. Screen tearing occur. This also has something to do with that vblank thingy I suspect. As it happens on real Amiga too?