English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 19 June 2007, 07:08   #1
ennio

Basic Newbie Q: Kickstart Issue

I did some searching on this site, but didn't find anything on my Kickstart issue (which makes me think it's something very basic I'm missing). Also submitted an online form on the Amiga Forever site, but no reply.

Last week I purchased the Amiga Forever 2006 Online version for my Windows XP Pro(sp2) PC. I installed it with no errors.

If I launch the program, then at the main menu go into WINUAE configuration, I get a messagebox error that

"You need any following rom:
Kickstart v1.3(A500,A1000,A2000)...) rev 34.5"

My ROM directory is set to this under the PATH configuration:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Amiga Files\System\rom\

There are 14 .rom files in this directory and 1 .key file.

If I go into Hardware Configuration under Quickstart, the config is: K1.3 OCS Agnus...

It's almost like something is pointing to the wrong directory, but the configuration, at least to me, seems correct.

Same thing happens if I try and launch a game: "Could not load Kickstart ROM."

Any ideas?
Old 19 June 2007, 08:33   #2
thomas

Click on "rescan ROMs" in the paths section, then a list of available ROMs should appear. Check that 34.5 is among them.

If it isn't, then someting strange happened because 34,5 *does* come with AmigaForever, I just checked it. However, if you uncheck the "start in quickstart mode" checkbox on the quickstart page, then the message will go away, not solving your problem, though.

Do you have multimple instances of WinUAE installed (e.g. one from www.winuae.net and one from AmigaForever) ? This is not a good constallation. You have to "rescan ROMs" everytime you change the directory.

Edit: not true, I checked again: AF does not contain the KS 1.3 from an A500, but from an A3000. So you cannot choose "a500" and "KS 1.3" in the quickstart menu. Either choose "a500" with "KS 1.2" or "a3000" with "KS 1.3". If you don't want to bother, then better uncheck "start in quickstart mode".

However, the latest version of WinUAE does accept the a3000 version of KS 1.3 for the a500/KS 1.3 quickstart config, so you could as well replace the WinUAE executable by the new version from www.winuae.net.

Last edited by thomas; 19 June 2007 at 08:38.
Old 20 June 2007, 07:37   #3
ennio

Thanks, Thomas. I downloaded and installed the latest WINUAE program from your referred site and it's finding the ROMS when I load a game from the included software bundle.

I noticed the emulator takes maybe 30 seconds of black before the game starts, but I'm guessing that's normal? In any case, it works.

Let the nostalgia begin!
Old 20 June 2007, 09:22   #4
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennio
I noticed the emulator takes maybe 30 seconds of black before the game starts, but I'm guessing that's normal? In any case, it works.
That, I assume, would be the game loading.
Old 20 June 2007, 11:41   #5
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennio
I noticed the emulator takes maybe 30 seconds of black before the game starts, but I'm guessing that's normal?
Treat yourself to turning on the floppy drive sounds... you won't regret it
Old 20 June 2007, 17:35   #6
ennio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey
That, I assume, would be the game loading.
I've been playing consoles for so long, I forgot that the Amiga games actually have to... how do you say--"load."
Old 11 July 2007, 20:32   #7
Hepzibah

Hi'
I'm very new at this and don't assume my technical terminology is expert. I have same problem as first guy who posted and I've been struggling for 2 hours. It says kickstart roms not available. Basically how do I do it all?

Old 12 July 2007, 08:15   #8
ennio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepzibah View Post
Hi'
I'm very new at this and don't assume my technical terminology is expert. I have same problem as first guy who posted and I've been struggling for 2 hours. It says kickstart roms not available. Basically how do I do it all?
Check Thomas's post from above. His suggestion worked for me and things are running fine now...