English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 29 February 2020, 10:41   #301
mcgeezer

I have to say, this is looking excellent... certainly takes a lot of the pain out of sprite management.
Old 08 March 2020, 10:33   #302
earok

Cheers @mcgeezer

Posted a new update. The old "ink" scripting component has been entirely replaced by the new visual "code blocks" system. All of the samples have been converted to the new system.

The backbone conversion stuff is currently removed, I'll try to get that going again in the next week or two, along with a few improvements on the sample games. Tsak's been really helpful in finding issues with the conversion process, so that should help with the Chaos Guns and Tales of Gorluth ports.

Project home is on github: https://github.com/earok/scorpion-editor-demos
Old 09 March 2020, 12:07   #303
mahen

Hi ! Thanks for your great work. I'm so happy because in the past quite a few people have spent huuuuge amounts of time writing backbone games and that clearly spoiled their work.

(hmm, I have no Windows machine though. I wonder if it'll work under Wine ! :-)

Keep up the great work !
Old 10 March 2020, 07:33   #304
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by torturedutopian View Post
Hi ! Thanks for your great work. I'm so happy because in the past quite a few people have spent huuuuge amounts of time writing backbone games and that clearly spoiled their work.

(hmm, I have no Windows machine though. I wonder if it'll work under Wine ! :-)

Keep up the great work !
Cheers mate

Would be interested to hear if you can get it to work. It is written with Dot Net, so it might be possible to produce native Mac or Linux builds (though I'm not totally sure if the various dependencies would allow that)
Old 10 March 2020, 08:53   #305
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
Cheers mate

Would be interested to hear if you can get it to work. It is written with Dot Net, so it might be possible to produce native Mac or Linux builds (though I'm not totally sure if the various dependencies would allow that)
I am on Mac OS, would love to try out if it works with Mono... (when I have some time again, after finishing Inviyya... If that ever happens... )
Old 11 March 2020, 16:40   #306
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Wonder how does the engine behave if used to create something like JRPGs; beisde the top view, map, etc. how muck work might take to configure all attributes and fight system?
Old 11 March 2020, 18:21   #307
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

@Saimon69: Depends on the RPG system. Currently it can handle action RPGs. But a turn based system would need a lot of work.
Old 12 March 2020, 03:09   #308
earok

@Steril707

Heh. You're making amazing progress so hopefully that'll be soon

@Saimon69

Tsak's right in that it's not really designed with turn-based RPGs in mind, so it wouldn't necessarily be easy. But it's certainly possible. You could use the already implemented dialogue features (such as in the Phoenix Wright demo) to simulate a menu for selecting attack, item, retreat etc. There is a "dice roll" function in the script to support random outcomes.

Hmmm.. maybe I should try whipping up a Phantasy Star demo or something for the pack
Old 12 March 2020, 09:52   #309
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
@Steril707
Heh. You're making amazing progress so hopefully that'll be soon
Actually it's really not that much to do anymore.
Just finishing the end bosses, and that's it.

I'd love to give scorpion engine a workout...

I think this might be one of the best things to happen to the Amiga in a long time.

Now there is no excuse anymore for not creating games for anyone..
Old 15 March 2020, 01:53   #310
earok

Much too kind Steril707! I hope I can make it live up to your words

[ Show youtube player ]

Weekly update. There's now basic support for importing Backbone platformers into the engine. Nutmeg by Czeslaw Mnich is the one that I used as a test, though there's currently no guarantee that any other platformers will work yet. I'll keep working on that and the other priorities for Scorpion.
Old 07 April 2020, 13:28   #311
earok

I was trying to do more frequent updates/releases, instead I've spent a fair bit of time fixing some longstanding structural issues with animated tiles, respawning enemies and such. So not a lot tangible to show right now, but the engine is becoming a little more stable.

One problem I've had right from the start of the project is, because the Engine is BlitzBasic and the Editor is C#, there wasn't any shared code between them.

This has been particularly problematic because, for example, if I wanted to add another line of data to the game actors, I'd need to duplicate effort to update both data models xactly the same, despite being in wholly unrelated languages. If I didn't remember, or if I made a mistake, it could be a pain to debug.

So, as part of my build process, I've made a little utility for converting some Blitz into C#. Just the data structures to begin with - to make it easy to load and save the same data in both projects without needing to double up any effort.

Could this process also be used to convert more Blitz Basic to C#, and be used by a Unity or Monogame project? Maybe but that won't be any time soon.

Old 15 April 2020, 13:57   #312
earok

New update time.

Alex Kidd demo now has a motorcycle bit. Other than that, it's mostly "under the hood" updates to the engine, editor, importers and demos.

Compiled demos themselves are now contained in an LHA that can be downloaded from the github repo.

https://github.com/earok/scorpion-editor-demos
Old 22 April 2020, 18:15   #313
UltraNarwhal

Finally had time to try out this new version and had a query.

I set my player to platformer type and all the jump/fall/idle/walk animations work, but I can't figure out how stop the player doing walk animation while stood still and holding the down direction.

Thanks.
Old 22 April 2020, 21:58   #314
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraNarwhal View Post
Finally had time to try out this new version and had a query.

I set my player to platformer type and all the jump/fall/idle/walk animations work, but I can't figure out how stop the player doing walk animation while stood still and holding the down direction.

Thanks.
Great

It sounds like an engine bug, feel free to file it as an issue (and anything else you need) for me to look at.
Old 22 April 2020, 23:23   #315
nikosidis

I tried the game demos and worked good on my A1200/030. Great job you are doing with this
Old 23 April 2020, 09:18   #316
earok

Thanks @nikosidis, I appreciate the tests!

--------------

I had a random idea today, but I'm not entirely settled on it. I'm definitely interested to hear opinions.

The Scorpion Editor toolkit could be converted to Unity. And here's the upsides:

- It would theoretically allow for Linux and Mac versions of said editor, provided all of the libraries needed aren't Windows specific.
- Unity does offer a surprisingly powerful 2D UI system for forms, and I'm already very well familiar with it.
- A fair bulk of the C# code already developed for the editor could simply be copied+pasted across. There wouldn't need to be any need to redevelop existing games or demos in it.
- A Unity version of the game engine was always a long term goal, in order to facilitate the ability to target classic Amiga as well as Unity targets like Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS etc etc. Moving the Editor to Unity would also help with the development of the Unity version of the Engine.
- In general, I'm more familiar with Unity development than WPF development.

And the downsides:

- There still would be a fair amount of work involved in bringing it across, in particular to do with converting all of the forms. This would delay the engine in general (though starting now would save time in future).
- There could be other complications I hadn't considered.
Old 23 April 2020, 20:58   #317
spotUP

Going Unity sounds awesome!
Old 10 May 2020, 06:00   #318
earok

Time for an update.

• Updated Zelda demo to feature enemies, health and combat.
  • The "logical" center of an object is relative to the center of the collision box, rather than the sprite offset. This doesn't really change anything other than it may make it a little easier to code custom collision logic (such as Mario hitting a box from underneath)
  • There's now the ability to define a default projectile per actor type. Previously, projectile shooting would need to be handled in scripting, this is no longer the case.
  • In addition, there's now the ability to define an attack sound per actor, previously this would need to be done in scripting.
  • Also there's the ability to define an ammo variable per actor. Note that this is primarily designed for player types - you could use it for enemy actors, but all enemies of one type would share the same ammo pool. It's also flexible enough to be connected to any variable in the game, but this could have weird effects (eg, using the level number as your ammo would mean that you went backwards 1 level every time you fired).
  • Class management has been simplified - "players", "player projectiles" and "actors" (enemies) are no longer manually defined per actor type, rather they're inferred from their usage (eg, a controllable actor is assumed to be a player, and a projectile shot from a player is assumed to be a player's projectile).
  • The copperlist has been reworked to have a fixed number of operations per line - this is to support things such as sprite multiplexing, sprite backgrounds and copper rainbows in future releases.
  • Community reported issue: Debug keys were still active in release builds. This has been fixed.
  • Community reported issue: Pressing down in platformers was inexplicably triggering a walk cycle animation. This has been fixed.
  • Implemented "push" function (for nudging colliding players/enemies) into code blocks
  • Reimplemented counter system on UI. This can be seen in the Zelda demo, where both full hearts and half hearts are used to depict the player's health level.

Links:
Old 10 May 2020, 10:48   #319
Clydos
aka (Cpt)JohnArcher

Very nice, earok, quite massive! I also like how you document the things still to do in the github issues.

BTW, what tool do you use to create the animated gifs? "ScreenToGif" (https://github.com/NickeManarin/ScreenToGif)?
Old 10 May 2020, 11:01   #320
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydos View Post
Very nice, earok, quite massive! I also like how you document the things still to do in the github issues.

BTW, what tool do you use to create the animated gifs? "ScreenToGif" (https://github.com/NickeManarin/ScreenToGif)?
Cheers!

Process for making animated gifs:

- Record the original in WinUAE using Lagarith lossless codec (so no compression artifacts)

- Split to individual frames with FFMPEG. Specifically with a command line like this
ffmpeg -i output2.avi -filter:v "crop=512:384:122:33" %%07d.png

The crop setting takes out the overscan area and anything else you don't want on the gif.

- Rejoin the individual frames with ImageMagik
magick.exe -delay 2 *.png input.gif

The delay of 2 forces a framerate of 50FPS, so the gif should play back at the same rate as the PAL input.