English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 19 January 2010, 00:26   #1
gtrmn01

Question Now Do I Uninstall Magic WB?

I installed Magic WB on my A600 with 6 megs and it is SOOOO slow and it ate up 1/2 my graphics memory. Is there any way to uninstall without having to re-install WB 3.1? Any help in pointing in the right direction would be most appreciated.

gtrmn01
Old 19 January 2010, 01:58   #2
Bloodwych

I don't think there is.

For an alternative, take a look at the ClassicWB 68k packs: http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/68k.htm

You can enable patches like Smartwin to speed things up too under settings, plus it's very economical with memory. It also has a multiboot menu for low mem boot options.
Old 19 January 2010, 23:56   #3
fc.studio
Cat lover

My A600 has 2 MB CHIP RAM only (No fast RAM) and it has a 256 MB CF hard drive.
It runs (personal customized, not ClassicWB) WB2.1 + MagicWB + HDEnv + KingKON + 2 tools in WBStartUp (PopUpMenu + TBClock). The free memory after WB loading is 1719656.

I don't believe MagicWB eats so much memory. Obviously it has 8 colours vs. 4 colours standard WB icons and therefore it's a bit (but only a bit) slower.
I don't know how much RAM the OS3.1 requires to run on A600 but I can suggest you these tips:
- I have 2 partitions only (24MB + 241MB). More partitions means less memory.
- about MagicWB use max 8 colors palette only; remove MagicWBDemon and Nickprefs in startup-sequence, if you have.
- In startup-sequence I removed Addbuffers df0: too
- Use HDEnv as standard
- Minimize tools in your WBStartUp. Examples: I have PopUpMenu vs. MagicMenu; cf0: for compact flash + ff0: for virtual fast floppy + ToolsDaemon on request only (activation on clicking their icons)

At boot, with the right mouse button I get Kickstart 1.3 screen (ReloKick) and with the left mouse button I get a CLI screen with 1890728 bytes free.
Old 20 January 2010, 11:10   #4
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrmn01 View Post
I installed Magic WB on my A600 with 6 megs and it is SOOOO slow and it ate up 1/2 my graphics memory. Is there any way to uninstall without having to re-install WB 3.1? Any help in pointing in the right direction would be most appreciated.
Restore the system from your backup, which you of course make always before trying to install any "radical" updates Next time at least...

One way is to remove magicwb line from user-startup and replace all the replaced icons manually to original ones Or check if aminet had some automatic conversion scirpts for icons etc...