English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 07 July 2021, 00:09   #1
slaapliedje

Cyberstorm MKIII/PPC and Memory issues...

A bit of history;
I bought this Cyberstorm a while back, with the note that the PPC portion wasn't working correctly, so I knew that in advance. I sent it off to Stanchu to fix, and he he tested with burn in, etc. He also overclocked it to 420mhz! Ended up getting it back and have been trying to get it to be stable in my system since.

I think today I finally discovered why. He'd included some different RAM in it, but I've swapped things in and out, with old and new ram and can't seem to get the AmigaTestKit's RAM tester to mark any of it good.

It always errors out, I even started to just test two sticks at a time. But out of 8 sticks, I haven't gotten any particular combination to pass the test and it fails out within a matter of a few minutes.

Any suggestions? I ordered another set of 128MB EDO 5V RAM, hoping maybe it'll do a bit better.

I think he said that I should have it set to 60ns, in the Cyberstorm Interface, but AmigaOS 4.1FE says it should be set to 70ns.

Other thing I find odd is that I can't seem to get pure SCSI stuff to work with the OS4.1 FE bootfloppy to mount the CD-ROM, but that's for another day to figure out.

For now I've just yanked out the memory from the Cyberstorm and am seeing if I can get a stable set up via zorro ram.
Old 07 July 2021, 20:13   #2
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

EDO should be ok, but Fast Page Mode SIMMS are always best. - Getting hard to find now.

You also need to make sure you use Matched Pairs of 72 Pin RAM modules.

These cards have 64 Bit Memory Addressing & using Pairs of matched SIMMS, populate slots 1 & 3 or 2 & 4 with first Pair. - If your populating all 4 Slots, use 4 x Identical if possible, but at worst, 2 x matched Pairs.

Populating Slots 1 & 2, 2 & 3 or 1 & 4 will not work correctly.

Your Power Supply also needs to be up to scratch. These cards have a heavy Power Draw, especially with the PPC Over-Clocked by Stan. It might have been okay for a while, but the PSU could now be failing with low values when under load.

Good Luck.
Old 07 July 2021, 22:17   #3
slaapliedje

I've ordered some matching 60ns memory, hopefully that will fix my issues. I have one if these guys in there for power. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CGGOXWQ

I will see if I can find some Fast Page Mode modules! Wish I could find a ram checker for cheap, but they are pricey!
Old 08 July 2021, 04:48   #4
whaka

EDO is perfect for the Mk3/PPC. this card benefit from it.
they don't really need to be matched in size/speed, you just need two stick as it's accessed on 64bit.

be also careful of heat. this card use CPLD which run really hot... two of them can easily reach near 90°C, and this is at free air, with around 20/21°C ambiant temp.
i let you imagine what happen with 10°C or more degrees and in a closed case.
they can run with thoses temps (their max junction temp is 150°C) , but on long term... it's always better to cool them down. and sadly, i don't want to scare you, but if one of them have already failed, this can lead to memory faults.

my advice is mount heatsink on CPLD, and try to add a fan somewhere in the case for cooling them.

Last edited by whaka; 08 July 2021 at 04:57.
Old 08 July 2021, 07:23   #5
slaapliedje

It actually hasn't seen many hours of use since getting it back from Stanchu. And I think out of that time I have had it turned on only maybe a total of an hour was with the case actually on! I have spent the dough on Acard adapters and SSDs for even less heat inside the case.
He had said the scsi controller was bad, but had replaced both the 060 and the PPC in it for better parts, and different memory. But from all my current testing, it seems that my ram has gone bad. And of course lately it has been really hot, but as the Amiga is in my basement, the temps are rather cool down there.

The motherboard itself was recapped quite a few years ago, but again hasn't seen really heavy use (it was pretty stable with just the A3660) though I did have a Cyberstorm MK1 eat itself in it (sent that off to Stanchu at the time, it it sadly was dead to the world (the memory chips physically fried when I turned it on one day!)
Old 08 July 2021, 07:28   #6
whaka

maybe you didn't used it a lot, but she had a previous life.
and for getting it with a ppc which needed a reballing and a dead scsi, this is a testimony of high mileage.

really, don't underestimate the risks with thoses CPLD.
when they fail, there's actually no way for reparation at all (except by pulling from another one), as their program are not available.
Old 08 July 2021, 12:05   #7
slaapliedje

I would have to look at the emails again, the scsi wasn't dead. It was being problematic. He replaced the SCSI, 060 and PPC. Which is why the repair was so pricey.
Where are the CPLDs? I just took a quick look and there are chips between the RAM slots, that I am not sure how one would fit heatsinks on and still fit RAM to it...

I will do some more testing when I get the new ram sticks. My setup with 3.2 is now waiting for that, then I get the joy of figuring out why Warp3d isn't detecting my voodoo3 (which right now is the single component causing the most heat in my system!)
Old 08 July 2021, 14:38   #8
whaka

yep, that's those between ram slots. amd/cypress brands.
you'll have to be a bit creative to fit heatsink, but it's doable
i used some heatsink for transistors i cutted/bend, but there's others way.

i joint you some picutre of mine to give you ideas.
i did that more than 10 years ago. i still have the 3000 and the mk3, and they are in regular use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	47111c975a4b75bac183850b8c8b1981.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	72489   Click image for larger version

Name:	927cd8416c9a79f6d86c00f917c46988.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	72491  
Old 09 July 2021, 15:41   #9
slaapliedje

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaka View Post
yep, that's those between ram slots. amd/cypress brands.
you'll have to be a bit creative to fit heatsink, but it's doable
i used some heatsink for transistors i cutted/bend, but there's others way.

i joint you some picutre of mine to give you ideas.
i did that more than 10 years ago. i still have the 3000 and the mk3, and they are in regular use.
I still maintain that the A4000 has one of the worse case designs for a human to tinker in...
I ordered some small heat sinks that I think may work. If not, I will see about figuring out a solution. I should also take some infrared pics, since I got the camera to do so.
Old 09 July 2021, 17:53   #10
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
<snip>
they don't really need to be matched in size/speed, you just need two stick as it's accessed on 64bit.

<snip>
They do, especially if Fast Page Mode type.

The Memory controller has to adjust for the SIMM's attached.

@ slaapliedje

Also....

These cards are very fussy about the Amiga's DRAM Chip Memory Array organization. They need to be 2048 x 2048, so if your Chip Ram isn't right, you're going to have a huge can of Whoop Ass going on.

Match your SIMM's in Brand name, Revision number & speed when ever possible.

Last edited by Kin Hell; 09 July 2021 at 18:17.
Old 10 July 2021, 05:33   #11
slaapliedje

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post

The Memory controller has to adjust for the SIMM's attached.

@ slaapliedje

Also....

These cards are very fussy about the Amiga's DRAM Chip Memory Array organization. They need to be 2048 x 2048, so if your Chip Ram isn't right, you're going to have a huge can of Whoop Ass going on.

Match your SIMM's in Brand name, Revision number & speed when ever possible.
I did read that about the DRAM chip memory array, just wasn't 100% sure how to verify that from a picture of SIMMs... should be able to test Monday when they show up.
Old 10 July 2021, 05:53   #12
whaka

Quote:
no they don't. the Mk3 can use any possible combination of any size, any brand.
if you mix edo with fpm, then edo fall back in fpm mode.

the only problem i can see with mixed sticks is speed. mixing 60 and 70ns (or lower) and set the card with 60ns timing, or no wait state. if the lowest refresh sticks don't like the speed bump it may become unstable.

Last edited by whaka; 10 July 2021 at 06:02.
Old 10 July 2021, 08:37   #13
slaapliedje

All of the ones I have currently are 60ns.
Old 11 July 2021, 15:31   #14
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
no they don't. the Mk3 can use any possible combination of any size, any brand.
if you mix edo with fpm, then edo fall back in fpm mode.

the only problem i can see with mixed sticks is speed. mixing 60 and 70ns (or lower) and set the card with 60ns timing, or no wait state. if the lowest refresh sticks don't like the speed bump it may become unstable.
Old 11 July 2021, 15:41   #15
slaapliedje

Got the EDO sticks last night and they seemed to work fine... for a while. I agree, I think the CPLDs are just getting too hot and corrupting the memry, causing instabilities. Found some 1mm high heat sinks I will try out.
Old 11 July 2021, 15:43   #16
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Air flow across the card will really help too buddy.
Old 11 July 2021, 15:57   #17
slaapliedje

Quote:
Air flow across the card will really help too buddy.
Yeah, I bought some fans for that very purpose. Trying to figure out a good place to mount them is something I have yet to accomplish...
Old 11 July 2021, 16:11   #18
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

With regard to your Heat issue & just a thought....

Can you post a Pic of your PPC Cards X-Tal array please?

If you read here RE Overclocking, you might understand why I'm asking.
Old 11 July 2021, 22:57   #19
slaapliedje

Here's images of them. Looks like Stanchu added the stuff to the bottom (from what I can see from the big book of Amiga.)

Anyone ever make a 3d printable fan holder to position one over the accelerator in an A4k? Maybe I will put it in my toaster tower... haha
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210711_143623.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	1,018.5 KB
ID:	72517   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210711_143653.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	1,013.0 KB
ID:	72518  
Old 12 July 2021, 16:29   #20
whaka

Quote:
i hear your sarcasm, now i wait your arguments

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
Anyone ever make a 3d printable fan holder to position one over the accelerator in an A4k? Maybe I will put it in my toaster tower... haha
an idea, maybe a bit brutal, but you can cut a square hole in the chassis, and put the fan between the chassis and the facade. there's some 40x10mm fan (or something approaching thoses dimensions) which can fit.
noctua made a good one

seems there's enough space between the card and the chassis to fit it there.

Last edited by whaka; 12 July 2021 at 16:54.