English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 31 August 2022, 03:41   #1
EctoOne

Image viewer with window/scale/datatype/packed files support

Hi,
I'm looking for an image viewer which doesn't use its own screen, can scale (down) and is capable of reading compressed files.

I've been using PicShow but I recently noticed that it can't handle images which are packed with PowerPacker.

I've then installed the XPKDT-1.0B which works, but so far I could only get MultiView to work with it.

The problem is that MultiView isn't, to my knowledge, not capable of scaling down big images to avoid scrolling. And since I mostly use DirOpus 4 I can't really make use of its filetype function. I can either set up MultiView as default viewer and don't have scaling, or use PicShow and can't double click on packed files.

I've also tried some Runtime decrunchers, and couldn't get any of them to work.

So, any suggestions to fix this issue are very appreciated.
Old 31 August 2022, 11:53   #2
daxb

Not really, but I would to suggest to uncompress all image files. So one problem is solved and it will also speed up loading times a little bit. As far as I know packed image files wasn't common and nowadays it doesn't make much sense. However, try Visage, MysticView and CyberShow.
Old 31 August 2022, 12:20   #3
EctoOne

I mean I noticed this problem when I was browsing through some of the older tools disk and other compilations. And I'm happy that the XPK Datatype somewhat works, because I had the same issue with text files.
And if I find something interesting, I'm uncompressing it of course.

I've tried Visage and MysticView after I posted here, and they don't have a window mode and can't handle packed files. I'll try CyberShow later.

It's just so weird that there are multiple AmigaGuide readers with XPK support but no image viewers. Well, I've found one, but it didn't work for me.
Old 31 August 2022, 13:12   #4
DisasterIncarna

Mystic does seem to run in window mode? and i think there are various method to force programs to use decompression (i use MCP for that kinda thing) and even force the use of datatypes in programs like when using CoolIO.

Last edited by DisasterIncarna; 30 December 2022 at 01:02.
Old 31 August 2022, 14:10   #5
EctoOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna View Post
Mystic does seem to run in window mode? and i think there are various method to force programs to use decompression (i use MCP for that kinda thing) and even force the use of datatypes in programs like when using CoolIO.
It was late when I was trying other things, so I probably misremembered the window mode from Mystic.

MCP is interesting, I've just spent a little bit of time with it and for whatever reason I can't get it to work with PowerPacker packed files. XPK packed files do work with PicShow now though. Hopefully I can figure out why it's not working for PP files.

Edit:
Well, another case of "There is nothing a reboot can't fix". For whatever reason MCP now works with PP packed files.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited by EctoOne; 31 August 2022 at 14:22.
Old 31 August 2022, 19:10   #6
DisasterIncarna