English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 26 July 2020, 16:49   #1
Foebane
Banned

Ever played Doom on Amiga?

Doom was the main reason I switched to PC from Amiga back in 1995, but it's weird to be playing a Doom source port on Amiga emulation today.

The truth is, it's rather good and accurate to the original, for the most part - at least on my fastest config.

ADoom is what I used, and while it takes longer than the equivalent PC to load, it's still a fairly high framerate, with the graphics mostly identical to MS-DOS, and the audio still good, if limited in the channels.

The only problem is, the lack of control options in the game. As far as I know, mouse is not available, the original controls I'm not used to, and there is this strange bug where my character will spin on the spot if I use controls a lot. The problem is the keys used in ADoom are ones I've bound to joystick controls, although I can still get by. If only there was a settings app like for the original in MS-DOS.

Another niggle is the Super Shotgun in Doom 2, the sounds have been changed on ADoom.
Old 26 July 2020, 17:18   #2
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
No. We have PC for it.
Old 26 July 2020, 17:50   #3
roondar

Yup, I've played DOOM on Amiga. Both using ADoom and DoomAttack. To be fair, I only first did that years after initial release though.

That said, it works better than I expected.
Old 26 July 2020, 17:57   #4
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
Keys getting stuck causing you to spin on the spot effects most of the Amiga fps games. Simply pressing the key that matches the direction of the spin will bring you out of it. A quirk of the Amiga keyboard I guess.

It was quite an exciting time when the source ports first emerged on the Amiga. 5 or 6 different doom ports on the go at one reaching various stages of development at different times until 1 emerged victorious from all the rest. Adoom is pretty much faithful to the original with its gfx, sound, music and DeHackEd support. Doomattack came a short time later turning out to be the overall best version with its extra bells and whistles although only Adoom saw a ppc port.

Originally I had an 030/50 and the original doom ran well enough 7-9 fps fullscreen with music on AGA. Later 040/25 between 10-15 with RTG. My first pc was a Pentium90 with trident 1mb gfxcard and while doom ran well enough, there were parts where I had to shrink the windows so while it was faster than on my 68k amiga, it wasn't massively so. On PPC Doom pretty much runs max speed, with music no compromises, the same as any pc of that time (until you up the resolution that is...).

Still, it was a fun time to see a game come out that wasnt supposed to be possible onthe Amiga. And we went through it all again when Quake came out.
Old 26 July 2020, 17:59   #5
zipper

Especially with CSPPC and Voodoo3...
Old 26 July 2020, 18:45   #6
rabidgerry

I've a 060 now so I'm looking forward to playing Doom again..............mind you that is if I ever get my Amiga back.

It ran well on my ACA1233n-40 with music and largest window, but when a lot of action started it would slow down. Hence the desire to get a 060 which hopefully allows good frame rate.

Also I use a playstation controller so no lack of control for me. It's great!

Last edited by rabidgerry; 26 July 2020 at 18:46. Reason: thought of something else.
Old 26 July 2020, 18:45   #7
jotd
This cat is no more

player 20 years ago on 68060 + RTG. completed it IIRC.
Old 26 July 2020, 18:47   #8
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
player 20 years ago on 68060 + RTG. completed it IIRC.
How was the 060 experience?
Old 26 July 2020, 19:08   #9
coder76

Yeah, completed both Doom and Doom2 on my A1200/68030-50 MHz (ADoom). Was pretty slow with Doom 2 on some levels, when there were a lot of monsters around. But not any slower than on a 386/40 MHz. Doom needs a fast 486 or a 68060 to run smoothly on fullscreen.
Old 26 July 2020, 19:20   #10
sneeker

I've played it on both ACA1232/40 and my current apollo 1240/33, But first time round I played it on a 386 sx40 in a little window, then a dx2/66 at near full screen.
Old 26 July 2020, 19:46   #11
Daedalus

The A1200 in particular has a slightly funky keyboard that doesn't play well with keyboard control in FPS games. I played it back when I got my 060 and graphics card first, and it ran fine. I was using an external A2000 keyboard on my A1200 and never had any issues with controls, but then again, I wasn't that into the game anyway - it was a bit ugly and clunky even on a good PC, and I didn't get caught in the hype about it at all.
Old 26 July 2020, 20:03   #12
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
I wasn't that into the game anyway - it was a bit ugly and clunky even on a good PC, and I didn't get caught in the hype about it at all.
I first saw Doom on a friend's multimedia 486 in early 1994, with all the bells and whistles. I was awestruck by the detailed texture mapping on the walls, floors and ceilings, the lighting effects, the fast scaling, audio and just generally everything about it. I knew then that I was looking at the future, and that the Amiga (back then) could just not cut it any more. Commodore going bust later in 1994 was the decider for me - why support a doomed platform, especially when I could play games like Doom that appealed to my technical background? And until then, I was hankering after a CD-ROM add-on for my A1200, which, it turns out, was never launched anyway.
Old 26 July 2020, 20:08   #13
Nobby_UK

Yes Indeed

Last edited by Nobby_UK; 15 April 2022 at 20:13.
Old 26 July 2020, 20:12   #14
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
The original Doom did look a bit blocky though on the pc. Playing on an Amiga and TV / Video monitor almost looked hires in comparison especially with DoomAttack and its on screen darkened transparent rotating map, mouse look and jumping which I had not experienced on the pc at that time.

With no internet at that time I would anxiously await each new cu amiga / amiga format cd release for the next doom port update. Exciting times to be using the Amiga
Old 27 July 2020, 11:41   #15
d4rk3lf

Was never really that impressed, as some of the people, back in the day. Played it on my friend PC. It was Ok, nothing more.
Now don't get me wrong, Doom is very polished, great gameplay, and awesome level design... but graphics (other then it's 3d) always looked pretty bad to me (Ultima Underworld looked much better, imho)

Later, on my 1200, I've tried Gloom (and Deluxe), played it a little bit, but was bored after a few levels. Tried Breathless, but most fun was not playing, but trying different resolutions, and checking how it crawls. Cytadela looked pretty interesting to me.
But what really caught my attention is Alien Breed 3D. Now, that was another story. Sure, action parts of gameplay was far from Doom quality, and graphics was very very low res and blocky, but the atmosphere was (imho) much better then Doom. SoundFX too. Nice level designs.

Now to answer to the op question:
Recently I've tried starting Doom on my Aca500+, just out of curiosity, but couldn't make it, because it needs at least 020.
But I wanted to see that ECS version of Doom, and I started it with Winuae. Looks interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
How was the 060 experience?
I think you don't need to worry.
From what I saw (from youtube), there's a huge difference in speed even between 030 and 040, let alone 060.
Old 28 July 2020, 19:03   #16
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Before the Amiga Doom incarnations came by, i was doing a darn set of workarounds, like Doom trial on mac emulation on DBLNTSC, put emulation on back screen, drag workbench down and have almost full screen at 6/7 FPS in my 1200/030
Old 28 July 2020, 22:30   #17
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

I had a simple hack that, if you had 32 megs of fast memory, you could copy the wad file to the RAM disk and use a soft link to point to it. That got rid of the hard drive accesses in-game except for saving and loading game saves. It also speeded up gameplay on my Blizzard 1230.
Old 28 July 2020, 22:53   #18
Thoughtbubble

Hi,
I run DoomAttack on an A4000/040@40Mhz with an RTG card and getting 15fps on average. It's playable, but only just IMHO.
Old 28 July 2020, 22:57   #19
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoughtbubble View Post
Hi,

I run DoomAttack on an A4000/040@40Mhz with an RTG card and getting 15fps on average. It's playable, but only just IMHO.
I thought DoomAttack used a blitter optimized chunky-to-planar conversion on AGA. If you use RTG, maybe another version will be faster.
Old 29 July 2020, 00:54   #20
Estrayk

This is a real capture from an A1200/060 AGA for if anyone is interested in check the framerate speed.

[ Show youtube player ]