English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 10 November 2021, 18:14   #41
stevelord

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz12 View Post
Is it safe to leave an Amiga connected to the Internet from a security point of view, any risk of getting viruses or even hacked?

You're at risk of Amiga viruses in general thanks to the odd classic floppy virus. There are still a few being written now and again. Virus-X is quite happy for that. Modern hacks are much less likely. There isn't really a market for Amiga bugs. Also the Amiga's architecture doesn't lend itself well to the kind of memory corruption bugs you see elsewhere.
Old 10 November 2021, 19:29   #42
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

There's always a risk, but someone's lone Amiga isn't a worthwhile target given all the other better ones out there on the internet.
Old 02 January 2022, 18:07   #43
Styrbjorn

My Amiga 1200 and 4000 has network activated. Mostly for NTP And easy downloading files from aminet.
Old 02 January 2022, 18:09   #44
Styrbjorn

I would say that it's perfectly safe to have it connected to the internet however you should of course have a firewall between you and the WAN.

Otherwise all your networking clients are at danger of exploits
Old 02 January 2022, 20:19   #45
klx300r

Thumbs up

Love being online with my Amiga 4000 checking Amiga sites, emails, FTP transfer of files with Aminet & my other computers, constant mods playing all day in my mancave with AmiModRadio and don't have to worry about taking apart my case to change the RTC battery since the time is always spot on automatically from an online time server
Old 08 January 2022, 20:52   #46
mkrleza

Offline only...
Old 25 January 2022, 20:56   #47
aNdy/AL/COS

I'm busy setting up a little dev room and my C64 will go online first using my it's new wifi cart. My A1200 will follow shortly after, however! I hope to find some useful info on this forum to help me out!
Old 15 February 2022, 01:54   #48
Lucidphreak

I will get my vampired 600 on the web, but its mainly just for telnet bbs’s. To that end, I would prefer just using a modem for the same - but alas time has moved on…
Old 08 March 2022, 08:31   #49
jizmo
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparhawk View Post
To be hones, I don't even want to connect it to the Internet. I just want to remember the good old days when I was happy with exploring my Amiga. So today, I just use it for programming and hopefully will complete a game sooner or later. I can easily live without Internet, as I have my PC for doing that. And transfering files is rather easy, so there is no compelling reason for me.
I feel the same way. It was exciting to first get to the BBSs and browsing the web, but I miss the time before that; not having all the data in the world available and being always on the lookout for something new, but instead coming up with things to do on Amiga by myself.

An occasional disk or two from a friend and I was good for another week or two.
Old 08 March 2022, 17:09   #50
Korban

Very rarely use it online. It's just not a great experience for %95+ of things.
I do have it connected to my file server though and have my Amiga files partition mounted under AmigaOS, so I can download anything from any machine I own and its instantly accessible to my Amiga as though the files are local.
Old 09 March 2022, 02:04   #51
Swe_Kryten2x4b

Mine is almost always connected. It is next to useless for webbrowsing, but that is to be expected even with the fastest Amiga you can find.

Mine is connected to my private network mainly to be able to use samba to my NAS, and the same network has routes to the Internet. But very useful to be able to use uhc or ftp when necessary.
Old 11 March 2022, 16:37   #52
npagonis73

Constantly connected to the internet. I have a Vampirized A1200 and it is powerful enough to do all sorts of things online. Visiting all Amiga related sites such as EAB, Aminet, Apollo etc and access anything that has to do with our Amigas, listen mp3s and Radio online, check my Gmail account and of course accessing my NAS or other ftp Amiga sites exchanging files. Would be so boring if i couldn't do all that with my Amiga and having to use it just to play 30 year old games on it!!!
Old 11 March 2022, 17:51   #53
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Yep, my A4000D is almost always connected. It's pretty handy to download stuff from Aminet and some other very lightweight websites. Also to transfer stuff from/to my lab PC.

Otherwise it's a pretty poor experience to even try to load EAB on my A3660
Old 12 March 2022, 22:27   #54
desiv

I suppose part of it can depend on your definition of "online," but for me, yes...
I just got the new AmigaOS 3.2 and one of the first things I added to it was networking.

I don't use my A1200 (w/ ACA1230/28) as a primary web browsing client, true.
But I do like the fact that I can browse to amiganet.net and grab things directly.
That's mostly what I use my Amiga on the Internet for.
However, just online? A lot. File transfers to/from my PC... Networking (FTP) is my standard method. And printing. One of the first things I did when rebuilding after getting the basic networking setup was to get my Amiga talking to my networked laser printer.
Yes, I don't do a lot of printing, but I like the option and use it infrequently.
And that is also part of the Nostalgia for me (well, less the printing). When I got my first Amiga, I was in college and one of the first things I did was use my modem to connect to my schools network. Used that (and SLIRP IIRC) to get files for my Amiga. I seem to remember sites in Finland (tut.fi???) and I think a site at a school in Bath England that had files I'd grab.
So for me, having my Amiga online is part of the nostalgia, and part of making it easier for me to use today.

One thing I haven't really gotten back into is BBSing yet tho.
I remember I used to use JRComm a fair amount back in the day, and although I have done some telnet BBSing on my Apple //e, I haven't really yet on my Amiga.
Not sure why. Nostalgia is funny that way. ;-)

It is disappointing there aren't more "old computer friendly" websites out there (especially some of the Amiga sites like this one), but I can understand that.
Just needing SSL is tricky, so anything that requires any security (user accounts) is problematic.
But just having Aminet, FTP, and printing is great for me...
That said, I don't do that with my A500, as it is really a floppy (gotek) based Kick 1.3 machine and for all this stuff, you really need a more current OS and hard drive.
Old 14 March 2022, 16:35   #55
tygre
Returning fan!

Hi all!

I'm trying to have all my Amigas on-line

In particular, I'm running my Amiga wiki on an A1200/040 that is (mostly ) on-line all year long!

Shameless plug: don't forget to install AmigaMapPing (on Aminet) to show (off) your Amigas when they are on-line

As for "old computer friendly" Web sites, there are some: one of my favourite is 68k.news

Cheers!
Old 28 March 2022, 18:20   #56
Weasel Fierce

I did have my amiga online but ended up removing that stuff, since at the time I didn't think it was "authentic". Now that I want to get it back, I can't find the wireless card I used

I do have a widget that plugs into the serial port (I think?) and emulates an old fashioned modem, over wifi, but when I found a local BBS that was active, it was...full of weirdoes complaining about modern politics. On their C64s.

So I noped out of that.