English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 24 April 2024, 00:17   #1
ZEUSDAZ

Shit Game Time: African Raiders-01, really bad!!!

The Amiga no doubt had many great racers / driving games but there were certainly some that should never have seen the light of day on such a wonderful machine,...Iron Trackers was one of them which was one of only 3 games so far that have scores the top 100 shits marks on the Shit Game Time series, now we have another stinker which has been nominated to be featured on the series and flushed down the toilet,...African Raider-01 (whatever the blood hell that means).

Everything about this overpriced disgrace is bad, frame rate awful, playability shite, no sense of where to go and the most boring flat in-game graphics I've seen for a while.

Anyone experienced this classic?!

African Raiders-01 SGT Review: [ Show youtube player ]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	African_Raiders-01.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	82077  
Old 24 April 2024, 09:56   #2
kriz

Seems like you need a map that was supplied... Hol is down now so i can not check.. But see the review here: https://amr.abime.net/review_26493
Old 24 April 2024, 10:48   #3
Megalomaniac

Not played it, but it sounds like a simulation rather than an action game, where use of the supplied map's direction guidance and the in-game co-ordinates is vital to finding the fastest route to complete the course. The need to go off the prescribed track is a design feature, not a limitation. I like that the gameplay is definitely affected by the action taking place on sand, and the idea that crashes can damage your instrumentation sounds quite neat too, I think RVF Honda had that as well.

Sadly the English-language manual doesn't seem to be online anywhere, so I won't check it out unless I own it someday. It'd be the ST version I'd play though, because of the halfcolorbug. A pity, because it reads as if its an unfairly underestimated game, if not a lost classic by any means.

Last edited by Megalomaniac; 24 April 2024 at 11:48.
Old 24 April 2024, 12:42   #4
demether

Looks like a good enough game...If you want a really toilet grade game, try Akira.
Old 24 April 2024, 17:38   #5
kriz

The map is the poster btw!
Old 24 April 2024, 18:04   #6
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

"driving games but there were certainly some that should never have seen the light of day on such a wonderful machine".

Hey. If everything would be sunshine and rainbows, then sunshine and rainbows would feel like garbage. Of course crap games need to exist on any platform, otherwise our brains malfunction.
Old 24 April 2024, 19:46   #7
Keops/Equinox

"no sense of where to go"

This game came with a map, it was part of the game play. If you quickly play it like an arcade game to make quick Youtube hits, it won't work of course. This game was some kind of non official computer version of the famous Paris-Dakar rally.

I'm not saying it was a great game, but at least try to review it properly

The Amiga palette issue was really unfortunate and could have been easily avoided.
Old 24 April 2024, 19:48   #8
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keops/Equinox View Post
The Amiga palette issue was really unfortunate and could have been easily avoided.
Or fixed in a WHDLoad slave: https://whdload.de/games/AfricanRaiders01.html

P.S.: The maps are available here https://amiga.abime.net/games/view/a...ers-01#manuals
Old 24 April 2024, 19:50   #9
Keops/Equinox

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Nice!
Old 25 April 2024, 19:57   #10
Adropac2
Zone Friend

I'm genuinely quite impressed by what I'm seeing in this. I love this style of racing ever since I bought Baja Edge of Control and I guess it's not for everyone but this suits what I like. Just watched a playthrough and looks fun especially the jumps. A little like Gee Bee air Rally style