English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > MarketPlace

Old 31 October 2021, 16:34   #1
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

CF Card hard drive solution for A600

Right, so I have a CF card setup as a hard drive in my A1200, which was kindly given to me, which meant I didn't ever need to buy one.

I have a Gotek enabled A600 and I need to get a CF card solution into it, if for no other reason than to shorten the boot time, as on reset the damn things sits there for eternity, waiting for a hard drive.

I would usually buy from Amigakit, but frankly, I need this quickly, and i'm put off by the experiences of others.

So where is the best place to buy a CF card solution to work in place of an actual hard drive, I want it so the CF card is formatted and supplied with the correct adaptor and cable, so I can open up the Amiga, stick it in, and be done with no farting around.

I'm in the UK, recommendations please?
Old 31 October 2021, 16:43   #2
lesta_smsc

Well if you just want plug and play then this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amiga-600...-127635-2958-0

I bought adaptor separately but it is the same one and works fine. CF can be picky as well (some work IDE others only PCMCIA and varies from one Amiga eg 1200 or A600) so given this one is already tested before dispatch you're better off.

If you do buy it, please image (WinImage and make a complete image of the CF) as I'm curious to get WHDLoad content and set up lol. I don't need the ROMS etc as have my own anyhow!

Last edited by lesta_smsc; 31 October 2021 at 16:52.
Old 08 November 2021, 20:49   #3
RetroPassionUK
RetroPassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Right, so I have a CF card setup as a hard drive in my A1200, which was kindly given to me, which meant I didn't ever need to buy one.

I have a Gotek enabled A600 and I need to get a CF card solution into it, if for no other reason than to shorten the boot time, as on reset the damn things sits there for eternity, waiting for a hard drive.

I would usually buy from Amigakit, but frankly, I need this quickly, and i'm put off by the experiences of others.

So where is the best place to buy a CF card solution to work in place of an actual hard drive, I want it so the CF card is formatted and supplied with the correct adaptor and cable, so I can open up the Amiga, stick it in, and be done with no farting around.

If you not found anything, we can help if needed.
Old 09 November 2021, 20:51   #4
Jpor
Banned

Quote:

Something to be aware of with the A600 is the Kickstart ROM version you have installed. They had different versions shipped, unless you have already replaced the ROM to a 3.1 or above?

The original ROM (2.05) came in with different versions. The lowered version wouldn’t allow you to boot from the IDE connector. I think it was 37.350 that allowed for the IDE to work.

The CF cards and adapters on sale on EBay may depend you having a 3.1 ROM installed on your A600.

From the same link you’ve been provided for the updated 37.350 ROM;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kickstart...-127635-2958-0

Quick delivery too

Beware of certain U.K resellers offering choices as when I’ve bought from a certain buyer in the past (GOTEK) it took nearly 3 weeks to arrive
Old 09 November 2021, 23:52   #5
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

All sorted thanks chaps
Old 12 November 2021, 02:48   #6
lesta_smsc

Quote:
All sorted thanks chaps
What did you go for in the end?