English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 02 December 2021, 13:47   #21
StompinSteve
Village idiot

Update: Started Knights of the Sky. Cannot find a calibration feature of any sorts and the plane flies like poop (same problem as GS2000 and F15 II)

I then started A10 Tank Killer v1.5 which has a "calibrate joystick" function in its Preferences menu. Selected Analog Joystick, clicked on Calibrate and jumped into the plane and...

...it flies perfectly. It totally works.

Update: Mig29 Fulcrum, Mig29 Super Fulcrum and Jet Pilot (has a calibration function) work fine too.

(the stick was/is still adjusted with the trim screws so it reads correctly in AnaCal and travel in all directions is the same).
So I guess my Gravis stick is not going to work in games that do not have their own calibration/center stick routine and unfortunately many haven't <insert sad emoji>

Last edited by StompinSteve; 02 December 2021 at 23:28.
Old 08 December 2021, 23:38   #22
Aardvark

Alright, I added 2.2uF caps on the adapter which increased AnaCal peak values to around 220.
Both Gunship 2000 and Knights of the Sky (and every Microprose flight sim) are still using same fixed values (0-44 and around 15-25 null zone).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Gunship 2000 doesn't display a joystick indicator, but hovers straight and level with my joystick centred around 70x70, and I don't normally play Knights of the Sky, but a quick test shows I can control the aircraft no problem with my stick, and it flies straight and level with my stick centred. So no, it definitely isn't hard-coded for a 0-44 range and 22 centre point.

I haven't disassembled these games to check, but I would guess that games without a calibration routine make some assumptions such as the stick being centred when they start, much like modern analogue stick controllers. From that they can take a rough guess at the range of movement - if your stick reads 22 when it starts, 0-44 is a reasonable guess at a range.
Can't figure explanation other than you didn't double check current centre trim value after testing.

There is patch for these games that implements adjustable center point, but it only works with Amiga Smart Port https://aminet.net/package/game/patch/SmartPortUpd
Old 30 January 2022, 00:14   #23
TommyTomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by StompinSteve View Post
Hello,
(cut)
does it always require an "Amiga to 15pin PC joystick adapter" and a PC compatible analogue joystick (one with two pot-meters and 2 buttons).
I don't remember if there was any analog joystick for Amiga but as I mentioned in another thread today, long ago I used QuickShot Warrior 5 with pc to amiga adapter