English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 23 July 2021, 13:08   #1
mc68060
With MMU and FPU!

Giana Sisters copy protection

Finally got hold of an original Giana Sisters disk. Ripped it as CT raw with my Kryoflux but immediately after loading it in WinUAE, the power LED flashes and WinUAE resets. According to WinUAE's drive status, only track 0 is ever loaded. So the copy protection must be on track 0 side 1 because side 0 is obviously the bootblock and its checksum is OK and it is also identical to the bootblock of the Giana Sisters in SPS. So track 0 side 0 is fine.

So I guess that track 0 side 1 is faulty on the disk and that's why the copy protection kicks in? Or do I need some special options to rip this game using Kryoflux?

FWIW, in the bootblock there is this message: "CopyKillerIII - programmed by Th. Lopatic for Rainbow Arts"
Old 24 July 2021, 04:45   #2
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc68060 View Post
Finally got hold of an original Giana Sisters disk. Ripped it as CT raw with my Kryoflux but immediately after loading it in WinUAE, the power LED flashes and WinUAE resets. According to WinUAE's drive status, only track 0 is ever loaded. So the copy protection must be on track 0 side 1 because side 0 is obviously the bootblock and its checksum is OK and it is also identical to the bootblock of the Giana Sisters in SPS. So track 0 side 0 is fine.

So I guess that track 0 side 1 is faulty on the disk and that's why the copy protection kicks in? Or do I need some special options to rip this game using Kryoflux?

FWIW, in the bootblock there is this message: "CopyKillerIII - programmed by Th. Lopatic for Rainbow Arts"
Sent me your CTraw file
Old 24 July 2021, 21:11   #3
mc68060
With MMU and FPU!

You've got a PM. Be quick, link expires in 6 days
Old 24 July 2021, 23:04   #4
lesta_smsc

Why rip as CT RAW with KF instead of say IPF?
Old 25 July 2021, 20:00   #5
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Why rip as CT RAW with KF instead of say IPF?
Kryoflux doesn't yet create IPF's, only Denis and SPS can create official IPF's. It's been in the pipeline for years to allow IPF creation for KF users but not actually happened yet, next best thing is disk-utilities for creating your own IPF's, think Giana Sisters uses same or similar format to Apprentice as the official IPF can be converted back to IPF using the 'apprentice' track format in disk-utilities!
Old 26 July 2021, 14:53   #6
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Mc68060 dump shows that his copy of Giana's has been tampered. Either the disk is dirty,and the SPS analyser is unable to recognize the Thomas Lopatic track format, or it has been written with a flux board that has modified the track data.

And yes, until SPS studio happens, Disk utilities is the best thing for IPF creation.
Old 26 July 2021, 14:59   #7
mark_k

Doesn't Giana Sisters save the high score table to disk? So if the game was ever played with the disk write-enabled it would be modified.
Old 26 July 2021, 15:18   #8
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_k View Post
Doesn't Giana Sisters save the high score table to disk? So if the game was ever played with the disk write-enabled it would be modified.
i have found most tracks unrecognized.