English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 29 October 2020, 19:10   #1
Luca underdog

castlevania amiga or not??

hi guys, I'm sure you've already talked about it but I can't find anything about the game,
Are these screens of the "amiga" version real or available or are they beta versions for who knows which machine?
I don't want to offend the version of castlevania that arrived in the shop, but the screens are certainly more captivating than the game we "played"
does anyone know something? (screens from vgmuseum)

Old 29 October 2020, 19:31   #2
Nobby_UK

http://hol.abime.net/2953/screenshot
Old 29 October 2020, 19:51   #3
AmyMor

CASTLEVANIA on AMIGA is a real slut, better to play via AnesPRO emulator!
Old 29 October 2020, 22:09   #4
Foebane
Banned

Never saw the appeal of any NES games, to be honest. The graphics and sound are incredibly crude, and the unfairness of the games are simply legendary. I know all this thanks to the AVGN, who took the trouble to showcase all of these awful games.
Old 29 October 2020, 23:47   #5
Luca underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby_UK View Post
good gallery of the version that everyone knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
Never saw the appeal of any NES games, to be honest. The graphics and sound are incredibly crude, and the unfairness of the games are simply legendary. I know all this thanks to the AVGN, who took the trouble to showcase all of these awful games.
it's a paradox but many amiga games are better on nes, but then the amiga is the machine of paradoxes
Old 29 October 2020, 23:53   #6
skyzoo73

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyMor View Post
CASTLEVANIA on AMIGA is a real slut, better to play via AnesPRO emulator!

I agree, the Amiga version of Castlevania is awful. And not being able to do a port of that game from Nes is really absurd, they could easily make a perfect conversion maybe even better, but you can see that the developers were dogs.
Old 30 October 2020, 10:12   #7
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Nice tune though, that's the only salvageable part of the game.
Old 30 October 2020, 11:04   #8
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
Funny, I was just trying some random NES games yesterday and thinking how much more playable they are than a lot (most?) of Amiga, or C64 games. I mean strictly action games of course.
Old 30 October 2020, 12:18   #9
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Funny, I was just trying some random NES games yesterday and thinking how much more playable they are than a lot (most?) of Amiga, or C64 games. I mean strictly action games of course.
I don't like the crudity of NES graphics, sound and playability, but on the other hand, the SNES really appeals to me. If I'd ever chosen a console back in the day, it would've been that.
Old 30 October 2020, 13:22   #10
dreadnought

Well, NES was 8-bit so certainly gfx is simpler than Amiga's, sound as well. I still dig it though. But can't agree about playability, because most of these games are super smooth and great fun.

I'm sure there are plenty with hardcore difficulty, or just being simply bad, and AVGN and similar channels' mission is to (nit)pick on such games. But they are not really representative of the system's whole library, I mean, we could do the same with Amiga turds after all.

Last edited by dreadnought; 30 October 2020 at 15:06. Reason: I really can't spell.
Old 30 October 2020, 14:56   #11
roondar

It wasn't very clear from the rest of the text so just to be clear: I'm only talking about action games in this post

Many of the 8-bit NES games were great fun to play. Not sure I agree that overall the NES has better playability, but I won't deny there were some brilliant games on it. I'd go so far as saying my two favourite retro games of all time are both on the NES.

As for Amiga/C64, I'm a bit more ambivalent. On the one hand I do see that the Amiga in particular has quite a few poor efforts, often without any need for them to be like that other than easy porting. But both systems also have plenty great/awesome games and I feel these tend to get overshadowed more than a bit by the poor games. Which ends up giving the systems as a whole a worse name than they really deserve.

The simple truth is I spend so many happy hours gaming on the C64/Amiga that to me the systems will always be legendary (while also being exposed to the NES, SNES, Master System, etc, so it's not like I never played those). I must have finished Turrican 1 & 2 hundreds of times back then (as well as hours upon hours of Denaris on the C64).

Ahh, memories

Honestly, I often feel 8/16 bit console games in general tend to be overrated a bit these days and 8/16 bit home computer games tend to be underrated a bit. This is just my opinion of course.

HOWEVER
Castlevania on the Amiga is a pile of stinky poo that should never have been released in that form. It's a terrible game. And it could've been so, so much better!
Old 30 October 2020, 15:15   #12
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
On the one hand I do see that the Amiga in particular has quite a few poor efforts, often without any need for them to be like that other than easy porting. But both systems also have plenty great/awesome games and I feel these tend to get overshadowed more than a bit by the poor games. Which ends up giving the systems as a whole a worse name than they really deserve.
Well, it's the whole point of my post. If somebody wants to judge NES's library because of a channel like AVGN then we can apply the same yardstick to Amiga. Both methods are rather unfair

If I was to chose between NES and C64 for action games only, it'd most likely* be NES. Its games seem to have better gfx, responsiveness and playability on the whole. Important to note is that "better" does not mean that C64 action games are trash of course, they can be also good/very good.

As for Amiga vs NES, perhaps* I'd go with Amiga, because it has the added bonus of better sfx/gfx, but it would not be a clear cut, insta decision. And I'm not even a fan of the big, famous Nintendo franchises (Zelda being an exception).

I don't really think that console action games are overrated. Across the whole libraries, they really simply are just better than on microcomputers.

*NES/SMS are probably the least known game libraries for me, need to catch up a bit on that stuff
Old 30 October 2020, 15:51   #13
roondar

Quote:
I don't really think that console action games are overrated. Across the whole libraries, they really simply are just better than on microcomputers.
I guess it's best we'll agree to disagree here, saves us both quite a few posts (because I don't agree with that statement, while respecting why you might see it differently)
Old 30 October 2020, 16:02   #14
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
I guess it's best we'll agree to disagree here, saves us both quite a few posts (because I don't agree with that statement, while respecting why you might see it differently)
Absolutely, we had similar conversation last year anyway
Old 30 October 2020, 16:18   #15
roondar

Quote:
Absolutely, we had similar conversation last year anyway
Ah, I have apparently learned to try and stop some lines of discussion earlier since then
Code:
Roondar's brain pseudo code with bugfix:

IF (discussion_topic == unlikely_to_lead_anywhere) && (RND()>0.4)
// used to be >0.997, who thought that was a good idea!?
{
   raise_error("stop wasting time, you dolt");
}
Ahem. I'll stop derailing the thread now.
Castlevania on Amiga still sucks
Old 30 October 2020, 16:39   #16
dreadnought

One thing is certain: Amiga should be capable of producing a 1:1 early Castlevania game, or even >1:1. Perhaps it'd be more realistic topic for a remake thread than the likes of Metal Slug
Old 30 October 2020, 16:44   #17
roondar

Metal Slug is fun to post about because it's so far out of reach that you have to really dig deep in the box of tricks to even try to get close (at least for me).

And yeah, Castlevania should definitely be possible in a good looking & playing version. Not going to port it myself, but I do agree it'd be nice to get some proper Metroidvania action on the Amiga.
Old 30 October 2020, 17:15   #18
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I remember reading an advertisement in some Dutch magazine where a guy was calling for people with programming skills to band together and do a better version of Castlevania for the Amiga. I guess he did not succeed

That was an interesting advertisement to me though, it was the first hint in my life that I might create games myself. But back then I had no clue how people did that and even if I did, I had no ability to get my hands on the resources to be able to do it. A crying shame really.
Old 30 October 2020, 17:20   #19
roondar

That'd certainly be an interesting ad to see!
Wish they had done it (and for more than just that game).

Then again, I didn't even know there was a PAL version of Castlevania - I thought it was NTSC only.
Old 30 October 2020, 19:11   #20
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
I remember reading an advertisement in some Dutch magazine where a guy was calling for people with programming skills to band together and do a better version of Castlevania for the Amiga. I guess he did not succeed
I think its call DID succeed, just not on Amiga,though...

[ Show youtube player ]