English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 09 January 2020, 11:08   #1
sneckburger

Games you just can't force yourself to play anymore

As title
For me its Days of Thunder.
Played it loads in the day, now its like a slide show of grey and I can't enjoy it one bit.
Old 09 January 2020, 11:25   #2
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Toki. I bought the HD version recently and had a go... when I died to the first boss for the third time in one hit and had to start the boss fight over from the beginning, the fiery flames of hell started to melt my controller.

So I decided that my dislike for single hit death games has progressed to extreme frustration, and I need to stop playing them
Old 09 January 2020, 11:46   #3
sneckburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Toki. I bought the HD version recently and had a go... when I died to the first boss for the third time in one hit and had to start the boss fight over from the beginning, the fiery flames of hell started to melt my controller.

So I decided that my dislike for single hit death games has progressed to extreme frustration, and I need to stop playing them
I still play Toki. Could never get past the first boss then and still can't
Old 09 January 2020, 12:35   #4
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Inviyya.
I am so glad when it's finally finished..

Old 09 January 2020, 12:47   #5
chip

All games

Indeed i played in the past with the real hardware, but nowadays i can't force myself to do the same

Anyway, it's not Amiga related, since i don't play on any other platform too
Old 09 January 2020, 15:57   #6
manossg

Alien Breed, I hate the respawning bastards!
Old 09 January 2020, 16:46   #7
sneckburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by manossg View Post
Alien Breed, I hate the respawning bastards!
Only enjoyed this with the trainer activated.
Its so hard to the point its no fun and I'd loose interest before I got skilled enough to get to the second level. Even with the trainer it's difficult.

You'd have thought that Team 17 would have play tested this game a little better.
Old 09 January 2020, 17:12   #8
jotd
This cat is no more

I usually play a few minutes for nostalgia sake, with levelskip and all... except for a few ones (IK+, Silkworm...). The more casual the better.
Old 09 January 2020, 18:50   #9
manossg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneckburger View Post
Only enjoyed this with the trainer activated.
Its so hard to the point its no fun and I'd loose interest before I got skilled enough to get to the second level. Even with the trainer it's difficult.

You'd have thought that Team 17 would have play tested this game a little better.
Brutal games, indeed. The AB 3D game was tough as nails, but a million times more playable
Old 09 January 2020, 19:40   #10
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
Inviyya.
I am so glad when it's finally finished..

Then get it bloody finished so we can BUY IT damn it
Old 10 January 2020, 08:54   #11
Etze
A3000-Fan

I really loved Kick Off back then and played it in and out for MONTHS. Because it was so much fun, so playable.
Nearly 30 years later I think: Wtf am I supposed to do? I have no control of the ball at all, everything is much too fast and you only see 2 square meters of the playing field...

I'd love to love it again, but I can't. I'd rather play Microprose Soccer (on C64, because the Amiga-version sucks) or Sensible Soccer.
Old 15 January 2020, 23:10   #12
power

Quote:

as an arcade port Toki relies on repetition and memory. i recently also got the HD port for Switch and for the first time completed the game, before that I used to play it to death on Lynx.
Old 16 January 2020, 00:50   #13
Foebane
Banned

It's odd, but back in the ST days I played Damocles and completed the mission via at least six ways, and later on, got more than halfway through Battle Command on Amiga, but when I revisit those, I feel like I'd be wasting my time. Especially with Battle Command, my successes in some of those vague missions I felt were mostly LUCK, somehow.

Nowadays, in the last decade since I got into Amiga emulation, it's been E-Motion, less Vaxine, and in particular, Super Twintris and Stunt Car Racer, but anything else doesn't interest me at all, I feel like I'm gaming for a dead format and I'm wasting my time drastically. And when I've played the cream of PC FPS games in the mid-90s to the mid-10s like Doom, Quake, Half-Life, Unreal, Bioshock and Portal, then is it any wonder that I certainly don't want to go back to a retro platform for gaming??
Old 16 January 2020, 02:55   #14
Misclegend
Banned

I played putty squad demo around 1998 in my A1200 and I finished it
I loved such game,and I was waiting for the final release of the game for years

then in 2013 the game was finally released but I no longer had the emotion or desire to play it, and in fact I have no plans for it, it's out of time

instead I'm now playing the putty squad PS3 remake in RPCS3 emulator
the new putty squad is far better than the original Amiga game
I have finished 70% of the game, a fantastic experience which I recommend to everyone
Old 16 January 2020, 14:28   #15
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I had a lot of fun with the SNES version of Putty Squad, I assume it is very similar to the Amiga version.
Old 16 January 2020, 15:30   #16
Glen M

I still enjoy most all games that I played back in the day. My problem though isn't so much as forcing myself but rather finding time to play games. Its on a rare occasion now that I'd sit down with a strategy or adventure game but that's purely just because of time.

These days I find myself mostly going for pickup and play action, racing or puzzle games.
Old 17 January 2020, 01:20   #17
Misclegend
Banned

Quote:
I had a lot of fun with the SNES version of Putty Squad, I assume it is very similar to the Amiga version.
The SNES version is similar but not the same
The Amiga version is the original one and have better music but the SNES version is faster and smooth also adds a few features to the game
but the new putty squad remake on PS3, xbox 360etc is the best
Old 17 January 2020, 09:31   #18
sneckburger

Speaking of remakes I bought Sonic Generations for my 5 year old daughter for the PS3 at the weekend.
I thought this game was a massive improvement over the Megadrive/Genesis version and captures the original game play too.
I was surprised as normally remakes like these are just a quick cash grab.
Old 17 January 2020, 18:51   #19
Fiery Phoenix

I thought GOAL! was awesome but find it tough to play now, whilst I have a new love for Kick Off 2 again
Old 19 January 2020, 12:26   #20
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

LEMMINGS!

Forget the hype! Let's face it, we all just wanted the little f**kers to DIE!!!!

Give me Shadow of the Beast ANY day of the week over those annoying little bloody lemmings!

Lemmings are like Millennials. If they're that bloody stupid, let them walk to their friggin doom!