English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 06 April 2021, 23:40   #61
Paulee_Bow

I like Quest for Glory 1 & The Colonel’s Bequest.
Old 07 April 2021, 03:12   #62
grelbfarlk

King's Quest 3, is a special place in hell for me. I thought it was broken in some way as the Wizard just seemed to randomly nuke me. I had to age a couple years before my child brain could figure out the timer or what I was supposed to do in the game.
King's Quest 4 was far more forgiving.
Old 09 April 2021, 10:40   #63
LeChuck

Quest for Glory 2 and 4.. this unique blend of adventure game and RPG elements work so well. The first one is a brilliant game but the second and 4th one are my personal favourites as far as setting and puzzles go. After you get used to the slightly annoying map navigation on the second game.. the fourth one had a lovely dark atmosphere, beautiful art and music and it was more challenging than the rest too.

Leisure Suit Larry 3. Best in the series for me, good music, fun puzzles, not full of unfriendly situations that you miss an item somewhere early in the game and get stuck forever like the second game. Decent Amiga version too unlike some of the later games.

Gabriel Knight Sins of the father's. This was kind of a highpoint for storytelling back in 1993.. one of the greatest adventure games ever still.

Last edited by LeChuck; 09 April 2021 at 12:44.
Old 09 April 2021, 10:48   #64
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
King's Quest 3, is a special place in hell for me. I thought it was broken in some way as the Wizard just seemed to randomly nuke me. I had to age a couple years before my child brain could figure out the timer or what I was supposed to do in the game.
Yeah and good luck doing the spells without a manual or a guide Still I liked it because the game is really unique in that sense. I like that experimental phase of game development where they just tried crazy things, in this case to really try and make you feel like you're imprisoned and you're a wizard. It works quite effectively even though it is not exactly fun in the long run.

But even then you can see they really thought about it because the game does not follow the usual trope of your nemesis being the end game boss, you get to kill that plonker earlier to get rid of that constant threat which slows down your ability to make progress. Good stuff.
Old 15 April 2021, 21:41   #65
sparhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by manossg View Post
My favorite Amiga Sierra adventure is KQ VI....what an excellent game!

I second that. I loved the KQ series anyway.
Old 16 April 2021, 11:25   #66
sparhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
I like Quest for Glory 1 & The Colonel’s Bequest.

Quest for Glory was also Sierra? I loved them. Even played it on DOSBox again, because it has such a great atmosphere.
Old 18 April 2021, 01:56   #67
Custaard

I have a soft spot for Leisure Suit Larry 2, as it was the first adventure game I played as a kid. Also the first one I managed to finish (with a hint book for the last 3rd of the game)

As the graphics got better in the series, and they changed the appearance of Larry, I started to get turned off, I think I've always just liked the basic almost stick figure like player model.

Kings Quest 4 and Quest for Glory 2 were my other favorites. Although I was a sucker for pretty much any adventure game on the Amiga.
Old 19 April 2021, 15:29   #68
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I like Larry 2 and 3 but the story is so over the top unrealistic that it makes it harder to reason what the game is expecting you to do. Larry 1 I can "kind of" believe if you scrape away all the cartoony humor.
Old 29 April 2021, 22:10   #69
Fiery Phoenix

Just completed LSL2 (only used a walkthrough once to understand how top open that airplane door - damn bobby pin hidden in the food)

Yes, yes, yes, annoying deaths, dead ends, restoring game to go back and collect an item you need, but I enjoyed this more than LSL1, seemed longer, more puzzles and maybe it's because I am less familiar with it.

What really really helped was playing the PC remake / amended version via the Adventure Game Studio - just the normal game but with no text interface, icon driven like the later Sierra games - highly recommend playing this version. Wish they did it for LSL3 too, but given the LSL2 one was done in 2004, I don't hold out much hope!

LSL2 Link for AGS Version
Old 29 April 2021, 22:27   #70
manossg

@Fiery Phoenix

So you missed the delicious parser botch in the game's final puzzle? No LSL2 playthrough is complete without it!
Old 29 April 2021, 23:01   #71
Fiery Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by manossg View Post
@Fiery Phoenix

So you missed the delicious parser botch in the game's final puzzle? No LSL2 playthrough is complete without it!
I am a geek so I am aware of it. Like after watching a movie and checking Wiki or Trivia on Imdb, I do the same with games lol

All about adding the word AND in! The airsick bag and the hair restorer!

Luckily missed the joys of that little conundrum. Fair play to the peeps who made it a genuine point and click - made it a hell of a lot more enjoyable.

Giving LSL3 a run through now and it is a bit of a slog with the text parsar and trying to identify objects, etc
Old 29 April 2021, 23:10   #72
manossg

@Fiery Phoenix

Lol, the best part is trying for HOURS to do this thing without knowing about the parser fail, since there was no internet available! I remember I managed to do it out of pure luck, trying every wording imaginable. I can't even recall what command worked, I just remember my disbelief at how they managed to almost make the game unwinnable.

LSL3 is also quite flawed (but make sure you read the manual first, since it contains hints to some puzzles), but at least it's better than the complete trainwreck that is LSL5...easily one of the worst adventure games ever.
Old 30 April 2021, 00:31   #73
Fiery Phoenix

Days before walkthroughs / internet - waiting for (maybe) a monthly hint in a computer magazine (and I remember some of those hints in Zzap - White Wizard or C&VG - Into the Valley) being like riddles themselves!

Prob will do 5

7 stands up well still for graphics / speech and I purchased the Wet Dreams games on a Steam sale so need to play them some time!

I do like the charm of the old ones though!
Old 30 April 2021, 08:10   #74
manossg

Yeah, happy times!

You should do LSL5 if only for the gorgeous graphics and the hilarious situations.

LSL6 is an excellent adventure game, I am still so sad it never got ported to the Amiga. LSL7 is probably the best Larry game.
Wet Dreams is surprisingly good, one of the best in the series and I highly recommend it, at least the first one (haven't played the second yet).
Old 30 April 2021, 09:56   #75
Fiery Phoenix

Yes will do them all without a doubt, played LSL1 several times, the original, the VGA remake and the re-loaded one. Always think I know it off by heart but forget something!

LSL7 is a fabulous looking (and sounding game) but something about the old Larry sprite in LSL2 and 3 that I like, the less cartooney one!

Did fancy The Colonel's Bequest as well, but again, text parsar puts me off and I believe (correct me if I am wrong) less of a puzzle adventure, more of a listen to the characters / ask questions game (not a criticism as plays to the Agatha Christie books / films)

Apparantly the 2nd (Dagger of Amon-Ra) is very good, with a 3rd on the way soon
Old 30 April 2021, 10:07   #76
manossg

Yes, I agree, there is a lot of charm in these old Sierra titles. Have you tried the unofficial SQ games (there is a VGA remake of SQ2, but I am talking here about DOTE and another one-can't recall the name)? They are quite good, they have the old graphics but are icon-driven, so they sound right up your alley.

I was never a fan of Colonel's Bequest, although I like some mystery adventure. Having to be at specific places in the right time kills the game for me. I was not a fan of Dagger of Amon-Ra either, even though it was a much better game, but I haven't played it since the 90ies, so I don't remember much. Might revisit it, sometime.
Didn't know about a 3rd one, care to share some info, please?
Old 30 April 2021, 14:05   #77
Fiery Phoenix

Agree 100% - hate those time games (think Cruise for a Corpse had that problem from memory) not there at a certain time - hate it - worse than sudden deaths!

Yes, tried some of the remakes, very impressive.

In LSL3 at the mo and progressing ok - could not find the lawyer offices though - so hard to spot the exits. Plus in the gym, I selected look under card, but need to type turn card! Grrrr

Yes, only knew about the new Laura Bow games the other day when I was seeing if their was a point and click remake of The Colonels Bequest. It is called
Laura Bow and the Mechanical Codex, appears to be a 2022 release date scheduled

http://ninezyme.com/
Old 30 April 2021, 14:23   #78
manossg

Yesyesyes, hate these games!

I am not talking about the SQ2 remake, although this too is superb.
I am talking about these 2:
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.u...th-retro-game/
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.u...quest-prequel/

Yes, there are a lot of frustrating moments in LSL3. And there are more to come...

I can't understand a lot by reading the website, let's hope it's close to being as awesome as LSL: Wet dreams.
Old 30 April 2021, 14:41   #79
jotd
This cat is no more

reminds me of an old 8 bit adventure game where 99,9% of the commands were like

verb noun (ex: open door, take gun...)

Near the end, after having completed most of the puzzles, you had to put some explosive tube in a cold box to be able to carry it safely. I knew that I had to do that and I tried everything to no avail (put tube, open icebox ...). A few weeks after, looking at the solution you had to do:

tube IN icebox.

The only time where 3 words were needed, and no verb... Point & click FTW
Old 30 April 2021, 14:57   #80
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

ha ha Makes you wonder if it was a random thing or they deliberately broke the pattern as a puzzle on its own.