English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 05 March 2021, 12:25   #1
Valken

Key rebinding mod?

I didn't know where to post this so I will ask here.

Is it possible to have add a generic feature to WHDLOAD to allow a user to REMAP or REBIND existing in game keys to another key or assigned it?

Come back to Amiga from a modern PC/Mac, I would like to use WASD as movement vs arrow or numpad keys, and Q and E vs DELETE and PAGEDOWN for "turning" in 3D action and Dungeon Crawlers similar to modern FPS shooters.

It can prevent cramping up during long game sessions and moving the KB around to adjust. It seems most games are completely different on their movement layouts.

I see we can rebind the QUIT key with a key or our choice. Or do we need to create a new patch PER game to enable this?

Edit - I solved this problem. I made a secondary Keyboard configuration in WinUAE instead and swap between it.

If anybody wanted to know how:

Launch WinUAE
Goto INPUT
Select CONFIGURATION 2 from the middle left selector.
Go down to the KEY you want to rebind or change.
Click the actual letter under INPUT SOURCE.
Then scroll down to the DROP DOWN SELECTION under it, then click it.
A menu should popup and then select the NEW key or joypad or joystick command.
After you have SET this key, go back up to the main window and do the rest.
Make sure you have SAVED this configuration.

Now you can load up a game from the Amiga, press F12, Goto INPUT, then change to CONFIGURATION 2 to the desired keyboard controls, then press OK to activate it.

When finish playing or using the new Keyboard configuration, you can repeat the above and change back to CONFIGURATION 1 or RESTART or CLOSE WinUAE. The next time it starts, it will default to CONFIGURATION 1 for default usage.

Last edited by Valken; 08 March 2021 at 23:02.