Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 15 January 2020, 19:53   #41
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Quote:
Originally Posted by thgill View Post
Quick question:

Comparing the pin out used to flash the Furia from this pic:

And comparing that with the pinout mentioned on the TF328 flashing page, I can clearly see signals and their positions for GND, TCK, TDO, TDI and TMS.

What about VREF? Should it be 5v or 3.3v from the Pi GPIO? I am guessing 3.3v.

Also, the A600 should be powered on or off during flashing?
According to datasheet it accepts 3.3v and 5v, but it is optimized for 3.3v.

A600 must be on, the cpld gets the power from the host computer, not from the programmer.

Lähetetty minun SM-G960F laitteesta Tapatalkilla
Old 15 January 2020, 20:09   #42
thgill

Awesome! Thanks for that info. Will try this tonight.
Old 16 January 2020, 17:21   #43
Jolabandola

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigasith View Post
Thanks for reminding me of this thread

Well... Getting the programmer to run wasn't as bad as I thought actually. And the programming process is also almost straightforward. I tried a couple of firmware versions of the Furia, but the most stable one for me turned out to be the currently latest / greatest version (12.8) available here: https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=105#files

I am happy to report that my test case now runs much better compared to before. Sometimes, I can perform 50+ resets after my LHA loop stress test without getting a red screen, hang, Guru or anything similar. Although the problem is not completely gone, it is really much better now.

My programmer is still ready to rumble, and as soon as there is a new version of the Furia firmware, I will try it out for sure and report back here
Nicely done!!
Did the update fix the problems with cpu cache? I have to go into the early boot meny and disable that or my A600 wont start. I have to do that every single time and its getting tiresome.
Is there a way to see what firmware version i have in my Furia?
Old 16 January 2020, 20:41   #44
amigasith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolabandola View Post
Did the update fix the problems with cpu cache?
Hmm... I never had to disable caches before booting into Workbench. Even before flashing the new firmware this worked okay for me.

Quote:
Is there a way to see what firmware version i have in my Furia?
Only partly. You can only view the "major" part of the firmware version - for example: "6" or "12" - by looking at the "Serial Number" of the Furia.

In order to do so, you can for example: (a) start Sysinfo, go to "Boards", then look at the "Serial No." field, or (b) use the "Showboards" command with the S argument switch from BoardsLib on aminet: http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/BoardsLib

But as said, this will only display the major part. You can not distinguish between version 12.8 and 12.7, for example.
Old 17 January 2020, 08:33   #45
Jolabandola

Ok. That is strange. I have encountered another Furia owner with the same problem on Hyperions forum. Same setup as me. A604n, ECS Indivision V2, SanDisk SD-card, WB3.1.4.1, Kickstart 3.1.4 and a red Furia.
My Amiga is very stable once i disable cpu cache. No problems when using shadowrom whatsoever. I played a ton of whdload games last night for hours.
Other users in the Hyperion forum told the guy with the same issues as me to contact the maker of the board but i cant seem to find any contact info to get back to him.

Edit: Scratch that. I found an email and he just answered me that the problem lies in the 3.1.4 ROM and the expansion.library. I need to somehow patch it with an older version of that library.

Last edited by Jolabandola; 17 January 2020 at 09:32.
Old 17 January 2020, 15:31   #46
Mark sealey

Quote:
Ok. That is strange. I have encountered another Furia owner with the same problem on Hyperions forum. Same setup as me. A604n, ECS Indivision V2, SanDisk SD-card, WB3.1.4.1, Kickstart 3.1.4 and a red Furia.
My Amiga is very stable once i disable cpu cache. No problems when using shadowrom whatsoever. I played a ton of whdload games last night for hours.
Other users in the Hyperion forum told the guy with the same issues as me to contact the maker of the board but i cant seem to find any contact info to get back to him.

Edit: Scratch that. I found an email and he just answered me that the problem lies in the 3.1.4 ROM and the expansion.library. I need to somehow patch it with an older version of that library.

That's me lol I made a OS3.1.4 rom with OS3.1 expansion library and I removed the carddisk.device as disabling carddisk in the early start up menu helped.

It was loads more stable....I only used Shadow Rom though.

But now I'm using OS3.9 with a custom 3.9 rom burnt to a 27400c eprom....along with a custom 3.9 workbench library.

Not had a crash in months....supper cool looking and everything works....Maprom....ide speed up....addmem.

Kind regards

Mark

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Mark sealey; 17 January 2020 at 15:33. Reason: Added a YouTube link
Old 17 January 2020, 20:30   #47
Jolabandola

Options

Ok. So now i have three options. One is to somehow either make a custom 3.1.4 rom with an older version of expansion.library or get someone to make one for me since i dont know how to do it.
The other option is to install OS3.9 and try that. But i am not sure if OS3.9 will work with my 3.1.4 Kickstart ROM. Does anyone know?
I also have a Kickstart 3.1 chip laying around if that would work better with OS3.9?
The third option is to simply do nothing and keep disabling cpu cache when i boot. My Amiga is very stable and fast once i get past the startup.

But i know myself. I wont be able to not tinker with stuff and leave it alone
Old 18 January 2020, 03:24   #48
thgill

I can't even get my A600 to boot with a 3.1.4 rom and a red Furia card in it.

If I leave a SD card attached to the IDE interface and power on the machine, I get a black screen, one click from the floppy drive and that's it. I can't even access the early startup screen and it won't even attempt to read the floppy drive.

However, if I remove the SD card to IDE, then it will at least boot to the 3.1.4 kickstart screen. I've tried multiple different SD2IDE adapters in case that was the issue.

Pull the 3.1.4 rom out and pop my 3.1 rom in and it boots up without issue.

I upgraded the firmware on the Furia last night hoping that would solve the issue. Nope.

Funny thing is: If leave both the 3.1.4 rom and the SD2IDE interface in and replace the Furia with a ACA620EC, it boots up no issue.

I've had the Furia since mid 2018 and this is the first time that I can say that I have been disappointed with it.
Old 18 January 2020, 10:12   #49
amigasith

Quote:
I've had the Furia since mid 2018 and this is the first time that I can say that I have been disappointed with it.
I totally feel with you, I was also disappointed that it is so picky. Here are a couple of thoughts, without any guarantee for success, however:

- I think I read somewhere that others are also having problems with 3.1.4 and that Boris, the developer of the Furia, is working on it.

- At least with CF cards, the Furia is extremely picky. I only got it to work properly with a genuine 4GB SanDisk Ultra CF card. Perhaps the SD card you are using is not 100% compatible with it.

- From your description, it seems that the access to the SD card is an issue. If you have the equipment, you could try burning your own ROM and replacing the 3.1.4 scsi.device with some other version, for example the one from 3.1. I know, this is kind of contradicting the purpose of 3.1.4, but it would help narrowing down the problem.

- Try adding an earth cable to the floppy bracket in order to ground the Furia. Some people reported that this helps, too.

Cheers,
Marc
Old 18 January 2020, 13:10   #50
Jolabandola

Before i purchased my Furia i read as much as i could about it in all kinds of forums and to me it seemed like the furia liked SD-cards better than CF. So i got a 4 Gb SanDisk ultra in mine. I also have a few other cards (all SanDisk ultra) and even a CF card. I have the same boot issue with all of them.
I know about the Maprom function and was thinking about using that. Can i make a custom 3.1.4 rom with the expansion.library from 3.1 and load it into Maprom?
What tools do i need to open up a rom-file?
Old 18 January 2020, 15:52   #51
Mark sealey

Quote:
Before i purchased my Furia i read as much as i could about it in all kinds of forums and to me it seemed like the furia liked SD-cards better than CF. So i got a 4 Gb SanDisk ultra in mine. I also have a few other cards (all SanDisk ultra) and even a CF card. I have the same boot issue with all of them.
I know about the Maprom function and was thinking about using that. Can i make a custom 3.1.4 rom with the expansion.library from 3.1 and load it into Maprom?
What tools do i need to open up a rom-file?
Yes you can....but its better to use a physical rom....you need FuriaTune executable in C: and your rom file in Devs:kickstarts/kick.a600.rom
Old 18 January 2020, 16:50   #52
thgill

Heard back from Lotharek

Quote:
hi

this is know issue with kick 3.14

Some SD cards do not work with Kickstart 3.1.4. You need to replace the SD-Card with a CompactFlash, or Patch Kickstart with an old expansion library.
The new expansion.library causes problems.
Old 18 January 2020, 17:12   #53
Mark sealey

Quote:
Heard back from Lotharek
From what I hear a fix for this is being worked on....I never got a cf card to work with any adaptors....and different cf cards.

I've always used I sd card setup....even a short ide cable caused problems....yet a long 2.5" to 3.5" ide cable works.
Old 18 January 2020, 21:31   #54
psoma

I had all sorts of trouble with my 40Mhz Furia... random freezing, failures to boot, apparent disk errors. I popped out the FPU and the thing became (mostly) rock solid.

Ended up replacing the FPU and it's now fine. Other issue I had was the IDE freezing during I/O (loading games, copying files). Interestingly, if I turned ON the ide boost option on the Furia - it works a treat. I now have a rock solid setup.

Not sure if it helps in this case at all, but it's on public record now in case someone else comes looking and it helps.
Old 19 January 2020, 07:10   #55
thgill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark sealey View Post
From what I hear a fix for this is being worked on....I never got a cf card to work with any adaptors....and different cf cards.

I've always used I sd card setup....even a short ide cable caused problems....yet a long 2.5" to 3.5" ide cable works.
Considering how long 3.1.4 has been out and 3.2 is in the works, I don't have high confidence that a fix will be released. Bummer.
Old 30 January 2020, 06:09   #56
thgill

Does anyone know what firmware version Lotharek was shipping on the Furia in mid 2018?

I updated mine to the most recent firmware and have had tons of SD card corruption issues since then.
Old 30 January 2020, 08:38   #57
Jolabandola

Quote:
Does anyone know what firmware version Lotharek was shipping on the Furia in mid 2018?

I updated mine to the most recent firmware and have had tons of SD card corruption issues since then.
Too bad there is no way to see exactly What version of the firmware you have. I got my card in November 2019 and I can only assume i have the latest version. But who knows How long the card has been sitting on a shelf since it was made. Sysinfo only gives you a part of the firmwareversion.
I have gotten pretty used to do the doubleboot-disable cache and CC0 by now but am still hoping for a fix for this.
Old 30 January 2020, 09:05   #58
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Quote:

Strange. My SD card has been behaving without any problems after the update. Do you have the ide speedup on? I disabled it in the first place, when installed the Furia for the first time a few years ago. What FS? I'm running PFS3. Any particular situation, when the corruption happens?
Old 30 January 2020, 13:47   #59
Jolabandola

Has anyone of you Furiaguys managed to edit furiatuneset and moved setpatch and loadmodule from your startup sequence there?
I am getting the error Setpatch failed returncode 20 every time i boot but i am too scared to mess things up.
Old 30 January 2020, 14:52   #60
thgill

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuola View Post
Strange. My SD card has been behaving without any problems after the update. Do you have the ide speedup on? I disabled it in the first place, when installed the Furia for the first time a few years ago. What FS? I'm running PFS3. Any particular situation, when the corruption happens?
I too am running PFS3.

I setup this 64GB SD card at the same time I bought the Furia. I had previously used a smaller one in this machine with a Vampire 2.

A couple hours after I updateding the firmware I started getting these DIRBLOCK error messages at book up. And it progressively got worse.

I initially thought the SD card was just failing so last night I setup a new SD card. After putting it in the A600 and rebooting a few times, same thing is happening.

So I am going to format the partitions and re-setup the card again (in WinUAE) and then swap out the Furia for a borrowed ACA620 I have and see if the problem keeps happening or if it's eliminated.

I emailed Lotharek to find out what firmware had shipped on this card and he said he wasn't 100% sure, but believes it was 12.5. So I will try flashing that firmware to see if it improves the situation.