English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 22 November 2019, 10:41   #381
d4rk3lf

So it's been more then a month since Amiga 34, where I read that all vampire standalone v4 is sold in 2 hours.

However, I can't find any video on youtube of a review of this new machine... you know... the usual stuff...unpacking... hardware details... software testing... overall impression of the reviewer... and nicely edited.

If anyone have some link, please post it here..
Old 22 November 2019, 22:12   #382
hUMUNGUs

Not exactly YouTube, but... yeah.. its coming i guess.
https://www.amigashop.org/product_in...roducts_id=308
Old 23 November 2019, 01:41   #383
lmimmfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
So it's been more then a month since Amiga 34, where I read that all vampire standalone v4 is sold in 2 hours.

However, I can't find any video on youtube of a review of this new machine... you know... the usual stuff...unpacking... hardware details... software testing... overall impression of the reviewer... and nicely edited.

If anyone have some link, please post it here..
Apparently there are issues with the V4 and probably those V4 owners are reluctant to post videos due to the issues. I'm sure they will be resolved soon and we'll see plenty of videos.
Old 23 November 2019, 13:26   #384
spudje

Basically it's a very beta (if not alpha) thing still. New cores every couple of days, fixing stuff and breaking other stuff along the way. So no consistent behaviour enough to make nice videos I guess.
Old 23 November 2019, 16:21   #385
Signman

So basically, sold and released too early, or as we say, not ready for prime time.
Old 26 November 2019, 22:23   #386
Pyromania

I hope the issues get resolved soon so the Vampire can bite lots of customers and spread the machine across the globe.
Old 26 November 2019, 23:17   #387
Estrayk

Good review btw:

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 27 November 2019, 03:15   #388
slaapliedje

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
I hope the issues get resolved soon so the Vampire can bite lots of customers and spread the machine across the globe.
I'm certainly looking forward to getting one. Mainly because the current V2+ is a little difficult to justify setting up at my office at work and showing how cool the Amiga is, since I'd have to carry the 1084 and an HDMI monitor around with it :P
Old 27 November 2019, 10:37   #389
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estrayk View Post
Good review btw:
The hater comments are entertaining, too. E.g. this "ChuckyGang" character not understanding that Doom on the V4 was running in AGA (including all the c2p and copying from fastmem to (equally fast) chipmem which doesn't make much sense in the V4) and not RTG although this was clearly stated. And then fantasizes about an A3000 with 2 Gigabytes of RAM...
Old 16 December 2019, 17:58   #390
MartinW

So, should I take delivery of one and decide that it's not for me, is anyone going to take it off me for cost? [edit] I'm assuming the answer is yes but you never know...
Old 23 December 2019, 03:18   #391
UberFreak

Seems like first V1200 batch (100 units) is now selling.
I expected a price increase over V500/600 but 50% is quite a jump, taking the price nearly to V4 territory.

Think I'll wait for now, but really happy to see it finally out!
Old 24 December 2019, 02:26   #392
MartinW

I would have loved to leave a semi-review or at least some comments on the V4 but I've spent the evening finding and trying every mouse I have (and believe me, that's quite a few) and not a single one will work with the thing.

So until I can locate a mouse that works my V4 will just be something nice to look at which is a huge shame since I wanted to try porting something to the Amiga over the holiday and the new machine would have been very suited to it.

If anyone that has one has a mouse that works and is readily available to buy on the high street please let me know ASAP, thank you.
Old 24 December 2019, 03:57   #393
amiwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinW View Post
So until I can locate a mouse that works my V4 will just be something nice to look at which is a huge shame since I wanted to try porting something to the Amiga over the holiday and the new machine would have been very suited to it.
When my original tank mouse died, this did in a pinch until I could find a replacement. Old skool!

https://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/Using_...e_Substitution
Old 24 December 2019, 08:28   #394
Dr_Procton

V4 Standalone can be ordered here
http://www.apollo-core.com/index.htm?page=preorder

V1200 can be ordered here
https://orders.apollo-accelerators.com/

In both cases there will be some queue, as demand is strong

This is a list of v4 compatible mouse and keyboards
https://wiki.apollo-accelerators.com...ible_usb_input
Old 24 December 2019, 10:22   #395
grond

@MartinW: that is quite a bit of bad luck. Of my mice the majority worked just fine. I have always preferred the very simple type, just two buttons and a scroll wheel which may be the reason why I had more luck. OTOH I ordered an "Amazon Basics" black mouse for my V4 because the black colour seemed to fit the Vampire theme well and it does NOT work although it is a very basic mouse. The red LED just doesn't light up. Thus, I'm still using the horribly yellowed mouse that came with my ASUS EEEBox (almost a retro device in itself). I guess, the older the mouse, the better the chances are that they use a simple protocol that is supported by the V4.

Of course, you can always use an Amiga ball mouse with the V4.
Old 24 December 2019, 11:41   #396
MartinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
Of course, you can always use an Amiga ball mouse with the V4.
If you mean a 'real' Amiga mouse from my 1200 then I wish that were true. They don’t work either (that’s stated though so no surprise). VERY useful to know about the Amazon Basics because I nearly ordered one. I’m going to have a quick look in town today but I’m not at all hopeful.

The keyboard shortcuts posted above will be very useful (thanks!) but not really a long term substitute. Looks like I’m probably going have to wait for suppliers to get back from holidays. At least if I can find one of the listed ones on Amazon UK then it might only be a few days and I’ll have other stuff to do in the meantime.

[edit] Found a Hama MC-200 for £7 that works

Last edited by MartinW; 24 December 2019 at 13:44.
Old 24 December 2019, 15:05   #397
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinW View Post
If you mean a 'real' Amiga mouse from my 1200 then I wish that were true. They don’t work either (that’s stated though so no surprise).
They don't work? That is a surprise. I didn't find mine and stopped searching when I found a USB-mouse that worked but my db9-joystick works just fine with the V4 so I would have thought so would a mouse.
Old 24 December 2019, 15:13   #398
MartinW

Having done some reading, I think they may have been disabled for now, for watever reason. You can plug one in and it does very slightly move which is enough to confirm the mouse works but it doesn't work properly.

I would hope there is a very good reason for them to ship without DB9 mouse support because I would think nearly all early adopters would have one of those they could fall back on until the USB support improves.

So now I am trying to find one or more RTG modes that work. I have tried an LCD TV and my FreeSync monitor. So far nothing. I'm reading that I might need to update the SAGA drivers (I am using Coffin OS to just get going quickly) but without Ethernet I'm scratching my head a bit as to how to do that.

This is not exactly a smooth ride. But hey, it's a pretty typical Amiga ride
Old 24 December 2019, 15:58   #399
grond

I think the P96 screenmodes just need a little adjusting. Usually setting the pixclock a little higher or lower will do the trick.
Old 24 December 2019, 20:43   #400
MartinW

I managed to bring one mode to life by adjusting it slightly but the screen flashes a lot and loses audio. More "normal" modes such as 1280x720 (720p?) I can't get to work at all despite my monitor supporting them (I know because I use other devices at 720p). I was advised to update the SAGA drivers and upgrade to an updated P96 'card' file which I did and it has so far made no difference. There is also a new core on Slack but it's in jic format so I can't install it until I've bought a USB Blaster (wasn't aware I'd need one and all my FPGA stuff either has programming built in or is Xilnix so I only have a Xilinx platform cable, no USB blaster)