English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 11 February 2015, 08:56   #1
AGS
XoXo/Tasko Developer

Question FS-UAE uses always maximum CPU speed?

Hi,

I have FS-UAE installed under ubuntu linux. When I start it, all is ok. But when I do something at the emulated Amiga-side, e.g. assembling my app, then my CPU fan goes to maximum. Is there a chance to make this not happen? Indeed NO other program has this effect. Even E-UAE does not do this even when in jit-mode.

greez
Andreas
Old 11 February 2015, 12:39   #2
jbl007

You can limit cpu speed in fastest possible modes. For example
Code:
uae_cpu_throttle = -250.0
limits to 75%.

Perhaps you should also take a look at vsync options. Turn it on/off or try a different sync method...
Old 11 February 2015, 13:31   #3
AGS
XoXo/Tasko Developer

Oh dear, with that throttle everything takes ages, even when I use -50 or -300. I was not able to figure out which direction is faster/slower.

Here ar my settings regarding the ones you mentioned.

Code:
accuracy = -1
input_grab = 0
video_sync=off
Old 13 February 2015, 19:19   #4
jbl007

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGS View Post
Oh dear, with that throttle everything takes ages, even when I use -50 or -300. I was not able to figure out which direction is faster/slower.
Hm, it works for me... I get half the max. cpu speed with "-500.0" and 3/4 of the max speed with "-250.0" (verified with benchmarks). Do you use the latest development version of fs-uae? If not, you should do it - because the stable version has issues with fastest possible mode and is also a lot slower.
Quote:
Even E-UAE does not do this even when in jit-mode.
AFAIK e-uae uses only one cpu core. This could be an explanation why fs-uae heats up the cpu more.

BTW: Did you check your graphics card driver? Perhaps your opengl display is rendered in software mode...
Old 14 February 2015, 11:45   #5
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGS View Post
Hi, I have FS-UAE installed under ubuntu linux. When I start it, all is ok. But when I do something at the emulated Amiga-side, e.g. assembling my app, then my CPU fan goes to maximum. Is there a chance to make this not happen? Indeed NO other program has this effect. Even E-UAE does not do this even when in jit-mode.
FS-UAE should only "voluntary" use as much CPU as possible when running in fastest-possible-mode (default for Amiga 4000 or 68030+ CPUs).

So if you're emulating A500/A600/A1200, by default, FS-UAE should only use as much CPU as needed, not more. (There's some exceptions here, in vsync mode, with some driver/OS/sync combinations, the GL driver might busy-wait for vblank, but with video sync turned off, this shouldn't be an issue either).

So please post your FS-UAE.log.txt.
Old 15 February 2015, 06:05   #6
AGS
XoXo/Tasko Developer

Ok, here is the logfile.
Attached Files
File Type: txt fs-uae.log.txt (50.5 KB, 197 views)
Old 15 February 2015, 13:08   #7
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

The log shows that you are using the A4000/040 model, which is meant to run as fast as possible.

However, you may want to try the latest development version instead. That series has some changes regarding how fastest-possible-mode works, and also, there are some other throttling options available if needed!

So please try the latest development version and report back if it works better for you or not