English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 03 February 2011, 01:09   #1
2E0TMF

amiga floppy games not loading?

Hi Please can someone tell me why i can't load floppy games as normal on amiga once a hard drive is installed?
I have found on A600 + A1200 + A1200/Mediator that once the hard drive is installed and workbench installed the machines won't load floppy games as normal????? I don't think i found this problem on the A500+ with HD?
Old 03 February 2011, 01:14   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

From release 2.0 onwards it is possible to enter a boot menu by holding down both mouse buttons at power on or reset. This allows the user to choose a boot device, set parameters for backwards compatibility and examine Autoconfig hardware.
Old 03 February 2011, 01:40   #3
2E0TMF

booting floppys

Hi Thanks for your reply Please can you tell me more on what to do as i have held the two buttons down on re-booting and then i disabled the hard drive partitions then clicked USE with only DF0 enabled and the same happened?

If there is something i should do please can you tell

Thanks
Old 03 February 2011, 09:05   #4
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Can the floppy drive read disks if booted from the HD?

What boot priority number is the HD?

HD0 should be 0, and DF0 should be 5.
Old 03 February 2011, 10:23   #5
2E0TMF

booting floppys

Hi Arnie,My 1st partition on my hd is IDHO and boot priority 0
I can read floppy discs from workbench and format them.I can boot from the floppy to install classisWB but when ever i try to boot a floppy based game it will load the game screen and the disc loads bit by bit ok then all of a sudden i get a terrible noise from the disc drive and the drive light is lit while this noise from the drive is happening?
Once i reboot everything is ok? I have held the 2 mouse buttons down on reboot and disabled the hd partitions and even used boot with no sequence but it still loads for a bit then this screaching noise from the drive????

I have checked the drive and all is well formatting classicwb and it boots ok with the install disk for classicwb but not for games?
Old 03 February 2011, 10:27   #6
Jimbo

Have you ever changed the drive? Certain boards had a special PC drive. They will boot dos stuff but anything non-dos will not boot unless you add a wire to the board.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=53669

EDIT: This will happen if the wire was cut and not put in the other place.
Old 03 February 2011, 10:28   #7
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2E0TMF View Post
but when ever i try to boot a floppy based game it will load the game screen and the disc loads bit by bit ok then all of a sudden i get a terrible noise from the disc drive and the drive light is lit while this noise from the drive is happening?
That sounds like the loader of the game you're trying to boot only works on 68000 CPU's, there's nothing wrong with your drive. It's a bug in the loader of the game, you won't ever be able to run that game on your A1200 without patches/fixes. What game are you trying to load?
Old 03 February 2011, 20:04   #8
2E0TMF

Hi StingRay,I have been trying to load Nigel Mansell's World Championship.The disks are originals and are the A1200 version.I do remember playing this without any hard drives attached to the A1200?
I have noticed this floppy games not booting with my other amiga's with hard drives apart from my A500+ with hd? I don't think i have ever noticed not being able to play floppy games with the hd attached?
But with my A1200/Mediator setup,A1200 in desk case+A600 all with hard drives i have never got floppy games to boot fully?
I can get the title screen to load and then it goes a bit further then it either stops loading or on this A1200 at the moment i get a screech from the disk drive and the drive light stays on?
I have tried originals and back ups and they all do the same? I don't mind after all with a hard drive and WHDLOAD as this is more easy and convenient but there is some floppies i have that i like to use to play

My first partition is priority 0 and bootable.I have tried disabling the hd but still the same problem?

Hi just a quick update! Gone through a few more floppy games and found that most of them do load fine it's a few that seem to stop loading after the title screen and the disk drive screeching???
So whether that means i need to download a patch to install on the hd in order to boot off floppy?? god knows? but most of the disk based games i have tried are working ok.I thought the original disk games would have worked but some don't?

Back to WHDLOAD

Last edited by TCD; 03 February 2011 at 20:17. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Use the edit function.
Old 03 February 2011, 21:27   #9
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Well my first thought was that the disks could be damaged. Do the Mansell disks load in another Amiga?

It doesn't sound like a HD problem to me. NMWC doesn't need any patches to work and it can be installed to HD anyway.
Old 03 February 2011, 22:02   #10
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
sounds like bit rot on the floppy disk to me as well

if it was me I`d disonnect the HDD and then try and/or download a diffrent version and try that
Old 04 February 2011, 16:21   #11
orange

perhaps hdd buffers are eating too much RAM?