English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 13 October 2019, 23:34   #1
alie

A600+Furia with Kickstart 3.1.4 boot issues

Hello,
I am currently restoring my old Amiga 600HD, I bought a Furia, CF-IDE (and an SD-IDE) and CHIP ram expansion with an RTC. I'm waiting to have some time to recap it (hopefully soon).

Originally it comes with Kickstart 37.300 (limited at 40mb for the boot partition). Recently I also bought the digital download of 3.1.4 and a burnt
3.1.4 Kickstart.

At first it was not booting at all, reading around I found that the new expansion.library is the culprit, switching off the CPU caches and setting my SYS boot priority greater than 3 (before the CF card), I'm able to boot to maprom a custom Kickstart with the old expansion.library from 3.1 and a patched card.device found in a polish forum (I also found it linked here as cardres.lha).

Is there a way to avoid all these startup issues? I also tought about upgrading my Furia firmware to the last version, but, right now I don't have my tools.

A foto of my furia when I installed it: https://lorenzo.giuliani.me/images/a...lean-furia.jpg

Last edited by alie; 14 October 2019 at 02:29.
Old 15 October 2019, 14:23   #2
EzdineG

Alie, i had the same issues as you did booting my Furia with 3.1.4. I had to disable caches or the machine would hard lock at boot with the IDE LED stuck on.

The problems were fixed when I updated the card to the latest firmware. Mine is an older white pcb version purchased from Lotharek’s site directly about 2 years ago.
Old 15 October 2019, 17:17   #3
alie

Thanks for the info, as I suspected it’s possible that upgrading the firmware would actually fix the annoyance.

I’ll upgrade as soon as I can!
Old 15 October 2019, 21:08   #4
Mark sealey

Ahh.....yes had this on my Furia too....made a custom Rom with the os3.1 expansion.Library instead of the os3.1.4 version....worked ok....appeared to be faster....not 100% stable though....booted without going into the early start up menu....I also removed the card.device also.....that improves things.

Im currently using a custom 3.9 rom with classicWB3.9
Old 08 February 2021, 17:19   #5
ugrnm

Hello,

Apologies for the necrobump, but it seems relevant,

I recently acquired an A600 with a Furia (not the latest, rev 2b), and am now looking at buying Amiga OS 3.1.4, but am I supposed to get the A600 kickstart ROM or another ROM given that the A600 is now running on a slightly different CPU?

Thanks!
Old 08 February 2021, 17:36   #6
Daedalus

The A600 version will still be the one to go for, but be aware that older Furias need a firmware update to work properly with 3.1.4.
Old 09 February 2021, 00:16   #7
ugrnm

Thanks! I'll give it a go (unsure if previous owner of this Furia had updated it), otherwise I will update it. I've read a bit through the minimal howto screenshots and I saw someone was kind enough to post on YouTube their own journey in making sense of these instructions

[ Show youtube player ]

I need to buy a programmer though
Old 09 February 2021, 15:18   #8
alie

Hi there, just for completeness, for a few months now I have been running with a cloanto 3.x kickstart booting on a 3.1.4 with some additions from 3.9.

With this kick I have no issue with furia, maprom works and also the pcmcia-fc works flawlessly.

I did update the firmware after writing this post long time ago now but the kick 3.1.4 didn’t cleanly cold-boot (disabling caches works, then I maprommed a custom kick).

Note that the 3.x kickstart doesn’t contain a workbench.library, most floppies won’t boot. I’m sure the venerable 3.1 kick would work as well while allowing you to run floppy disks as usual.

Another thing I changed that improved significantly the stability of the machine was to switch to an IDE-SD adapter instead of a compact flash
Old 09 February 2021, 17:06   #9
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugrnm View Post
I need to buy a programmer though
I believe Lotharek will flash it for a small fee (+ shipping) if needed.
Old 11 February 2021, 17:55   #10
Jolabandola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Yes. A much safer and easier way. I can confirm.
Old 11 February 2021, 18:53   #11
ugrnm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolabandola View Post
Yes. A much safer and easier way. I can confirm.

Ah good to know! I think I will try myself, it does not seem too hard, just the tools that I'm not so familiar with. I ordered a similar device than the one used by the Furia user in the video I linked. Let's see

Quote:
Originally Posted by alie View Post
Hi there, just for completeness, for a few months now I have been running with a cloanto 3.x kickstart booting on a 3.1.4 with some additions from 3.9.

With this kick I have no issue with furia, maprom works and also the pcmcia-fc works flawlessly.

I did update the firmware after writing this post long time ago now but the kick 3.1.4 didn’t cleanly cold-boot (disabling caches works, then I maprommed a custom kick).

Note that the 3.x kickstart doesn’t contain a workbench.library, most floppies won’t boot. I’m sure the venerable 3.1 kick would work as well while allowing you to run floppy disks as usual.

Another thing I changed that improved significantly the stability of the machine was to switch to an IDE-SD adapter instead of a compact flash

Thanks for the extra info!

To be honest, I need to do some extra homework to be able to parse all your message. I just got a real Amiga a few weeks ago, so am still not super familiar with making custom ROMs yet. I also read many people like you were also adding libraries to their ROMs, sometimes using 1Mb EPROMs for that? But I'm still struggling to see what's the advantage of doing this if the Workbench is already loaded with all the needed libs from SD/CF/HDD/etc. Like I said, I need read more

I did manage to flash a 512k EPROM with Kickstart from 3.1.4 and I get the "insert disk" purple screen with the checker ball. Does it mean that I'll be good or is the problem happens when Workbench 3.1.4 starts to load? (did not have time yet to make floppies).
Old 16 February 2021, 17:19   #12
ugrnm

Hmmm... I guess I was lucky and/or not all the Furia Rev. 2b are made equal because I prepared a 3.1.4.1 SD install from fs-uae and it booted fine
Old 07 March 2021, 15:51   #13
ugrnm

So in the end, I was curious and went ahead to upgrade the Furia (from Linux). I wrote the instructions down, it was super tedious, no way I'm going to remember this if I have to do it again, and also maybe useful for other Furia owners

https://moddingfridays.bleu255.com/F...irmware_update
Old 21 July 2021, 20:24   #14
alie

Oh that's an helpful link So when I want to update the firmware I won't have to mess around with windows VMs!

BTW, I was using a maprom image for 3.1.2, it worked with a workaround ... can't really remember all I did, but I have a custom kick in the SD. I'm not using my A600 lately, the Keyboard ribbon cable is broken in the usual place, last thing I did was to socket a 3.X Kickstart and everything was working great (except the missing workbench.library).

I should just build myself a new keyboard (after building a few custom keyboards I just hate commodore's keyboard tech) and swith the little beast back on.