English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 29 May 2020, 10:46   #1
chapstick

New to emulation

Hi all,

I am new to amiga emulation, used to have an A1200 with ppc years ago. Anyway clearing out loft, I found an old hard drive which I had in my Amiga. (all boxed so hopefully working ok). I have purchased amiga forever 8 and starting to set up the os. Couple of questions, to emulate the ppc side I guess I need the cyberstorm ppc or blizzard ppc rom image. Am I right that they aren't included in the amiga forever package and if so where can I get them, can the amiga emulator read real ice hard drives? I am looking at buying the usb to ide, sata adapter. Will this work? And for amiga os 4.0 again I guess I need to get the ppc rom then purchase amiga os4.0? Sorry for all the questions.

thanks
Old 29 May 2020, 10:46   #2
chip

Welcome to the forum !
Old 29 May 2020, 10:58   #3
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapstick View Post
Hi all,

I am new to amiga emulation, used to have an A1200 with ppc years ago. Anyway clearing out loft, I found an old hard drive which I had in my Amiga. (all boxed so hopefully working ok). I have purchased amiga forever 8 and starting to set up the os. Couple of questions, to emulate the ppc side I guess I need the cyberstorm ppc or blizzard ppc rom image. Am I right that they aren't included in the amiga forever package and if so where can I get them, can the amiga emulator read real ice hard drives? I am looking at buying the usb to ide, sata adapter. Will this work? And for amiga os 4.0 again I guess I need to get the ppc rom then purchase amiga os4.0? Sorry for all the questions.

thanks
I can't answer all of your questions (I have no knowledge about PPC), but I can answer at least this: can the amiga emulator read real ice hard drives?

Yes, it can. I'm not sure if it works through a USB adapter, but WinUAE can read and write "real Amiga" hard disks attached through regular IDE or an IDE=>SATA converter. Should this fail (assuming you still have the Amiga 1200), there's also the option of getting a PCMCIA to Compact Flash adapter and copying files that way (such as this one: https://amigastore.eu/en/165-compact...f-sandisk.html)
Old 29 May 2020, 14:13   #4
thomas

Quote:
to emulate the ppc side I guess I need the cyberstorm ppc or blizzard ppc rom image.
Yes.

Quote:
Am I right that they aren't included in the amiga forever package
I have no idea if the PPC ROMs are included, but isn't AF advertised as ready for OS 4? As such I would assume they are included.

Quote:
where can I get them
You can make your own using the official flash updates.
http://aminet.net/search?query=ppc+flash+update

Create an empty file in the ROMs directory called either cyberstormppc.rom, blizzardppc_040.rom or blizzardppc_060.rom, configure them as accelerator ROM file in WinUAE, start the emulation and run the flash update. If you then rescan the ROMs WinUAE should recognise the file as a valid ROM file.

Quote:
purchase amiga os4.0?
You should go for 4.1 final edition. It's the latest version available and costs only a third of the older 4.0 or 4.1.

Edit: I checked my AF8 DVD. It contains a file called ralphschmidt-cyberstorm-ppc-4471.rom, but it's 0 bytes. So you probably are supposed to go through the flash update process as described above.
Old 29 May 2020, 18:56   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
can the amiga emulator read real ice hard drives? I am looking at buying the usb to ide, sata adapter. Will this work?
Possibly. Very old IDE drives and USB adapters don't work (USB adapters for some reason don't support very old IDE drives that only support CHS addressing). It is easy to find out, if Windows disk manager reports the drive as zero size: CHS-only drive. Which drive model and size?

WinUAE (which is used in AF) can access CHS-only drives if USB adapter uses JMicron chipset, it has special vendor specific mode that enables direct access to IDE HD, bypassing the limit. Mainboard IDE port will always work, if you have some old PC with built-in IDE port somewhere..
Old 29 May 2020, 19:15   #6
zipper

https://fil.email/FjCubrWx an old collection of ROMs but might help to start.
Old 11 June 2020, 18:32   #7
enigma776
Bringer of Death

The PPC rom is included in the AF Plus edition but I believe it is encrypted or compressed or something, all I know is you have to run the OS4 profile once to get the rom should come out as "ralphschmidt-cyberstorm-ppc-4471.rom" @ 128KB