English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 25 July 2010, 00:02   #81
Exl

My main motivation would be easier level testing and networked multiplayer with any number of players (within reason). One could also fix the screen height issue, and expand the editing capabilities a lot.
Old 25 July 2010, 00:07   #82
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Oh yes! Drop ST support and make it 256 at least
Old 29 July 2010, 13:12   #83
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilalurl View Post
- Three-player support.
- Dynamic screen splitting when the party separates (for 2 player games, or even three if that is possible . Or at least a split screen mode that you can choose at the beginning of the game.
- Making the map power/pickup useful
- Adding a small and puny and easy to kill enemy called gimbal. Oh wait...
Cool ideas so far (I was entertaining the three player idea myself, but it is of course an easy one since the Bitmaps considered it themselves)!

Multiplayer coop Chaos Engine would of course be a wet dream...

And a Gimby enemy... I'd rather add a playable Gimby character. He doesn't have a weapon, just a big mouth and a bad smell.
Old 25 September 2010, 15:48   #84
Weevil

Yeah great project! Thanks for the effort Exl, if you plan on maintaining/extending it please consider a multi-OS port for us non-windows users

I've emulated CE for Amiga and a few days ago bought the MegaDrive version, intend on finishing it this time! After that I'll see if I can set things up to play with this editor or maybe help out testing some levels for you guys. Anyone has a progressreport?

Take care,
Weevil

Old 17 December 2010, 03:38   #85
God 2.0

Excellent work! I was overcome with joy when I found this thread a couple of days ago. Chaos Engine is my all-time favourite game for the Amiga 500, along with Gods.

There's one issue that's bothering me a bit though. Around 75% of the time when I enter or change a numerical value in a field, for example in a "link" field, the field reverts to the former value when I click somewhere else. I have not really managed to find out how to avoid this. Entering the value multiple times in a row or clicking alot on the grey empty background may or may not help. This really slows down my editing speed, since I constantly have to click on triggers, covers, and scriptblocks many times every time I want to modify them.

Anyone with a solution to this problem?

In addition to this, I have some question regarding the editor functions.

- Is there any way to change game constants such as individual character statistics, special power prices, or special power order?
(Party power as The Gentleman's fourth special makes no sense since everything is pretty much maxed by then.)

- Any way to determine cash drops on killed monsters?

- Any way to read and modify the game's graphics? They seem to be stored in .BIN files, but I'm not sure. I would like to swap the level loading screens with new ones that have different level names. For example, I'd like to change "The Beginning" to "Stone Idols".

Guess that's a lot of questions for a new user, but this editor has me all excited.

Old 17 December 2010, 09:36   #86
Exl

Quote:
Originally Posted by God 2.0 View Post
There's one issue that's bothering me a bit though. Around 75% of the time when I enter or change a numerical value in a field, for example in a "link" field, the field reverts to the former value when I click somewhere else.
Does pressing TAB after editing a field help? I remember it being pretty annoying to get to work right at all.

Quote:
- Is there any way to change game constants such as individual character statistics, special power prices, or special power order?
(Party power as The Gentleman's fourth special makes no sense since everything is pretty much maxed by then.)
You can read them (see one of the menu options), and you could modify them. I never coded an interface for that, though.

Quote:
- Any way to determine cash drops on killed monsters?
Not that I know of. But there's a lot of unknown data still.

Quote:
- Any way to read and modify the game's graphics? They seem to be stored in .BIN files, but I'm not sure. I would like to swap the level loading screens with new ones that have different level names. For example, I'd like to change "The Beginning" to "Stone Idols".
The level names aren't stored in graphics, but elsewhere. Again, I don't know where.
Old 17 December 2010, 23:50   #87
God 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exl View Post
Does pressing TAB after editing a field help? I remember it being pretty annoying to get to work right at all.
Seems to work fine this way, thanks!

Quote:
You can read them (see one of the menu options), and you could modify them. I never coded an interface for that, though.
In which files are they stored, and what kind of editing software will I need? Hex-editor?

Old 18 December 2010, 00:29   #88
Exl

Quote:
Originally Posted by God 2.0 View Post
In which files are they stored, and what kind of editing software will I need? Hex-editor?
Most of the data is compressed. You would first have to decompress the files in question, find the right offset, modify your data, then recompress the files manually. It's been far too long ago for me to modify the editor for that, sorry.
Old 18 December 2010, 03:22   #89
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Quote:
Most of the data is compressed. You would first have to decompress the files in question, find the right offset, modify your data, then recompress the files manually. It's been far too long ago for me to modify the editor for that, sorry.
While I'm no expert on these matters, I also assume that the recompressed files would have to be the exact same size as the originals too.

So basicaly the only way to do this without super-elite hacking skills and an unlimited amount of free time would be to have the original source and files.

Is this correct?
Old 18 December 2010, 12:50   #90
Exl

To an extent. The Chaos Construct works with the CD32 files, so an individual's filesize can be whatever you like. They are of course loaded into memory at set points, and if they are larger or too large, might overwrite other parts. I've seen the title screen get corrupted while working on the editor, but the game and everything else worked just fine.
Old 06 March 2011, 23:36   #91
frikilokooo

I have recently discovered the new levels on the server,it's great!!!How many new levels are exactly?why the two packs of levels are not united in only one pack?will we have more levels?

It would be a great idea search a graphician for design new tiles for the background.
Old 06 March 2011, 23:41   #92
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Becauese I lost interest after I got almost zero feedback on my last level and noone else seemed to care. If someone else cares to get a level done (I know that Exl has one ready which he hasn't released yet ) I might get around to do another one.
Old 06 March 2011, 23:47   #93
frikilokooo

I really enjoyed the level of rocks,very well designed

I would like to participate designing new tiles but not creating new levels sorry.
Old 06 March 2011, 23:59   #94
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Thanks and fair enough If someone is still interested in designing new levels, the IRC channel is still up and running
Old 07 March 2011, 12:51   #95
daxb

Maybe I`m wrong but IMHO the problem is (at least for me) that new levels are great but overall not complete. That means not coherently level like in original game. If I remember right there are 4 levels in one world (how many worlds I don`t know). So the target should be to have at least one complete world (a lot of work ). Unfortunately the lack of feedback can stop work if you aren`t 100% self interested (do it for yourself) and you are alone.
Old 07 March 2011, 13:53   #96
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
Maybe I`m wrong but IMHO the problem is (at least for me) that new levels are great but overall not complete.
Get going It's funny how that is considered to be a 'problem'. Anyway, you have the editor, so do something about it
Old 07 March 2011, 17:29   #97
daxb

Maybe if you/someone would release (Aminet) a complete world then more feedback and/or more people would try out the editor. For me, as far as I know. The editor is for win and/or linux. I`m 68k only. However, I guess my interest/motivation won`t large enough.
Old 07 March 2011, 17:30   #98
frikilokooo

I think it is not an easy task and TCD has done an excellent way.It would be great if TCD continue to make more levels and we will have a Chaos Engine Special Edition like Alien Breed Special Edition.

He deserves that we support to him!!!

Old 07 March 2011, 17:48   #99
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Heh, cheers frikilokooo I planned to make at least one more level and probably I will have a look during the next weeks. However I'm not planning to make many more levels, as it really takes quite a bit time to design one, not to mention that you have to come up with at least a few decent ideas. I really hope Exl will release his level, so that people see that you can do levels in a more 'CE' style
Old 07 March 2011, 18:51   #100
frikilokooo

@ TheCyberDruid

It's a pity that not more people interested.I imagine if there were a dozen people involved.Each person doing a different level and a few people more modifying the original tiles,changing its color tones for instance or adding those tiles little changes.A new Chaos Engine would be possible in less than a month!