prowler
Global Moderator

Hi HRMeinert,

Thanks for the update, and good luck!

prowler
Old 01 May 2009, 20:07   #22
HRMeinert

Hi,

The new HDD is much better than the old one. Today I spend much time to figure out how I set up an HDD with win UAE. And it worked... at least at the most parts. I have still some problems. I have 4 partition-setup. One for WB and stuff, one for Demos, one for games and one for... i don't know. Just one more

So I just have the WB and the Demo partition mounted. How do I mount the other 2?
Old 05 May 2009, 04:19   #23
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
What's the size of the new HD?

Any HD with more than 4Gb need OS3.9 (which need a 030 or better accelerator and 6mb or more of fast RAM).
Old 05 May 2009, 19:14   #24
HRMeinert

Oh what an odyssey... finally i got it running.

My HDD is something about 5GB. But i finally got it running. at least i hope so. It looks good. I got al ClassicWB installation with IDEFix 97. All partitions shows up in WB and i can copy stuff. Looks good.
Old 05 May 2009, 22:11   #25
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi HRMeinert,

I'm glad to hear you got your A1200 working with the hard disk in the end.

I don't have more than two partitions on my hard drive, despite having a 4-way buddered IDE interface and IDEFix'97 installed.

However, when I installed a 5GB hard disk to use as a backup, I couldn't use any more than 4GB of it. That was OK, because my original HDD was only 4GB anyway.

I didn't know what to suggest to solve your problem of only seeing two partitions, because I've only ever seen two, and I didn't know whether you had IDEFix installed.

Thanks for letting us know you got it sorted out.

prowler
Old 05 May 2009, 22:35   #26
HRMeinert

It was a long road but I reached my goal. I think everything is running fine, but I ran into a couple of problems. I'm new to Amiga, I never got one and I had luck to get an 500+ and 1200. So what to do with it. 15 Years ago a friend of mine got an Amiga 500 for birthday. After that day we spend every single minute of our spare time with this beloved computer. We spend 100 of hours on F1 GP, Civ, Empire, Megalomania, Wings, It came from the desert, and so on.

My idea now: Rebuild the past!

Sounds easy but isn't as I figured out.

First a got a damaged HDD (read above). After this I tried to install a new HDD from an old notebook, and here the trouble begins. I'll shortly write down the problems I ran into. In my own words. They don't may be hardscience but I hope we can get clear I did every thing right in the end.

+ HDDs > ~ 4GB don't work. HDToolbox can't handle them. The partition counts starts at 1 mb after ~ 4000MB
+ I don't know how to mount/format a disk. I tried around with some partitions smaller than 4gb. Nope, don't worked.
+ Starting with WinUAE and mounting the Amiga HDD
+ I searched for an Tutorial on how to setup an Amiga HDD and found this: http://wiki.classicamiga.com/How_to_..._within_WinUAE
It was a huge step. I followed the tutorial and installed SFS and hoped all partitions will show up on WB. Don't worked at all. Just the first partition showed up.
+ Found out about IDEFix. Here: http://wiki.classicamiga.com/Install...(4GB_or_larger)
Another huge step. I started over again. Installed SFS again. Copied over IDEFix and tried to boot with the new HDD and the a1200. I frogott to copy the IDEFix to the first partition. Remove the HDD and plug it into the USB adapter and into the PC. Mount in WinUAE and copy the IDEFix. Remount it and reboot.
+ IDEFix can't be installed without a program called "install"
+ Remove the HDD -> Mount in WinUAE search the web for install. At this point I was very frustated and about to give up. But I found this: http://classicwb.abime.net/ i tried to download the right pack but I got confused and donwloaded FULL, but I think my a1200 got now extentionboard. So I tried to install this cwb pack. Without any luck because Directory Opus crashed on the ziping of system.zip. So I gave up and went to bed.

+ After a day of work I got back and I wasn't realy ready to give it all up. So I started again reading. I found out I had to use the Light pack. Downloaded it -> SFSformat DH0 -> Reinstall WB 3.1 -> Initializations of cwb. Copying over DH0 to my mounted windows partition. Zip with 7zip and try another cwb installation. No luck. The cwb installation will be corrupted if you don't zip your system.zip within the amiga partition.
+ SFSformat DH0 again. At this time I took it personally. I wasn't ready to give up. Reinstalled WB 3.1 -> Started from cwb-diskimage. Ziped the justinstalled WB 3.1 into the cwb-image. After this i could copy system.zip directly vom the cwb-image to the just installed SFS-wb 3.1 partition. After this time it all got very well.
+ Moved the IDEFix to the Work partition of my just installed 3.1
+ Booted from the "install real amiga" disk image, included in the Classic Workbench pack.
+ Installed cwb -> reboot -> It worked! I was deeply impressed.
+ Installed IDEFix -> don't worked. Still just partition DH0 showed up in WB. So I started playing around with some Utilities in CWB. One of them is install SFS. Don't know if this in nessesary but I installed this. Nothing new showed up in WB.
+ Started editing the startupsequenz and changed the IDEFix part. Swapped the command in the comment with the actual command.
+ Reboot -> TADA!!! All partitions showed up. Everything went well. Finaly I'm happy. For the first time

So now, I'm going to bed. Many thanx for your help!
Old 05 May 2009, 22:42   #27
prowler
Global Moderator

WOW! Thanks for the tutorial, HRMeinert!
Old 06 May 2009, 20:14   #28
HRMeinert

Hi Prowler,

I'm happy to help. Maybe some other newbee got a look into this thread and got enlightened
Old 06 May 2009, 22:03   #29
rkauer

Some corrections, then:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRMeinert View Post
<SNIP>
+ HDDs > ~ 4GB don't work. HDToolbox can't handle them. The partition counts starts at 1 mb after ~ 4000MB
Larger IDE disk may work, but not in a vanilla Amiga with ROM 3.1 or less with a standard Workbench installation. Using IDEfix97, updating the ROM's SCSI.device and using another file system may cure this problem.

Quote:
+ I don't know how to mount/format a disk. I tried around with some partitions smaller than 4gb. Nope, don't worked.
If the unformatted disk icon appears in the Workbench screen it is just a matter of selecting it (one mouse left-click), then right-click and select on the menu : icons/format disk (don't try this on a SFS/PFS partition!). Select the options and name you want and go.

Quote:
+ Starting with WinUAE and mounting the Amiga HDD
+ I searched for an Tutorial on how to setup an Amiga HDD and found this: http://wiki.classicamiga.com/How_to_..._within_WinUAE
It was a huge step. I followed the tutorial and installed SFS and hoped all partitions will show up on WB. Don't worked at all. Just the first partition showed up.
You probably didn't installed the SFS file system into the HD's RDB. Or didn't installed IDEfix97.

Quote:
+ Found out about IDEFix. Here: http://wiki.classicamiga.com/Installing_a_large_Harddrive_(4GB_or_larger)
Another huge step. I started over again. Installed SFS again. Copied over IDEFix and tried to boot with the new HDD and the a1200. I frogott to copy the IDEFix to the first partition. Remove the HDD and plug it into the USB adapter and into the PC. Mount in WinUAE and copy the IDEFix. Remount it and reboot.
+ IDEFix can't be installed without a program called "install"
Don't use INSTALL with anything but making bootable floppies! The program you need is called INSTALLER

Installer is available at Aminet, version 43.3.

Quote:
<another SNIP>
+ Started editing the startupsequenz and changed the IDEFix part. Swapped the command in the comment with the actual command.
+ Reboot -> TADA!!! All partitions showed up. Everything went well. Finally I'm happy. For the first time
<last SNIP>
The correct name of the initialization script is startup-sequence.

Also if you are not using a CD unit attached to the Amiga, edit the IDEfix line on it to LoadIDE.
Old 08 May 2009, 19:19   #30
HRMeinert

Thanks for your explanations!
Old 08 May 2009, 19:26   #31
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkauer View Post
If the unformatted disk icon appears in the Workbench screen it is just a matter of selecting it (one mouse left-click), then right-click and select on the menu : icons/format disk (don't try this on a SFS/PFS partition!). Select the options and name you want and go.
Why not? It works just fine. Format clears all blocks (if full format, which is useless with harddrives) and then sends ACTION_FORMAT dos packet to filesystem (ffs,sfs,pfs etc..) driver which finally creates the logical format.

Quote:
Don't use INSTALL with anything but making bootable floppies! The program you need is called INSTALLER
Again, why not? It won't cause any problems, even if for some reason install decides to write "bootblock" to HD.

(sorry but I always get a bit annoyed if someone says "DO THAT" or "DO NOT DO THAT" without any explanation)
Old 09 May 2009, 04:45   #32
rkauer

OK.

Install is a command to install a boot block into a floppy disk.

Installer is a command who interprets scripts for installing a software.