English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 07 January 2020, 18:57   #61
AMIGASYSTEM

AROS One 68k: Zune Setting and File Associations

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 07 January 2020 at 20:42.
Old 31 January 2020, 21:11   #62
gururise

AROS is the future of AmigaOS. We need to give up on the copyright trolls and move to an open source model like the AtariST community did. There are continual updates and improvements to the AtariST OS due to it being open source.

Imagine how much further along we would be if the community would just rally behind AROS.
Old 01 February 2020, 00:45   #63
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Imagine how much further along we would be if the community had put that effort into advancing AmigaOS, rather than reinventing the wheel by implementing a poor clone of it.
Old 01 February 2020, 16:06   #64
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
Imagine how much further along we would be if the community had put that effort into advancing AmigaOS, rather than reinventing the wheel by implementing a poor clone of it.
if that comes from someone signed a NDA making himself a slave... and that voluntary
Old 02 February 2020, 10:16   #65
Overflow

@Minuous I have to admit Ive not bothered to keep up with the back and forth regarding the legal status of AOS3.x and the effect it has on the development potential. Ive casually read aw.net, aorg and eab, and gotten the impression that "if the legal status had been sorted, we could work in a common direction" etc.

Maybe its the lack of knowledge on my part, but since it seems to be a ongoing issue, Ive finally put my userfunds (as it is) towards AROS devs. Its not a "fundamentalist" point of view, but the open nature of the project with little potential for legal noise/stops is why I finally decided to throw my support in that direction.

Note; Im a non-developer/coder and stictly a END user. I have several versions of AOS 3.x and AOS 4.x, so Ive done my "part" to support AOS vendors.
Old 02 February 2020, 13:34   #66
gulliver
BoingBagged

@Overflow

The problem is that eventually after an greement is reached, or any party wins the legal case, I am pretty sure AmigaOS 68k will be open sourced anyway. Both Hyperion and Cloanto have publicly mentioned this in the past.

So for AROS on 68k, the countdown has already started even if no one is noticing it. The writing is on the wall.
Old 02 February 2020, 15:04   #67
wawa

@guliver

many promises has been made, so i rather believe in it when i see it.
it would be a bit puzzling, why would they fight so much over something they intend to give away for free.
but then open sourcing of what they actually would be able to open, wouldnt be a bad thing. it might eventually be used as reference for further development.
there are several options how such a situation could benefit both approaches.
but for now the situation is what it is.
Old 02 February 2020, 16:00   #68
gulliver
BoingBagged

@wawa

You are right to remain sceptical for the time being.
Lets just hope for the best, and time will do the rest.
Old 02 February 2020, 16:52   #69
wawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
@wawa
no. im beyond that since years. its been enough. im not hoping for the best. and i dont think that time is going to do something for me. for me, its time to take action.
Old 02 February 2020, 20:47   #70
OlafSch

Quote:
@wawa

You are right to remain sceptical for the time being.
BTW Aros is much more than 3.1 or kickstarts

It is a full OS including components like AHI, RTG, network stack, USB stack

And as Wawa mentioned... the 68k branch of Aros would benefit from opening of the sources. But I do not believe that this will happening

Simply because you can still earn money with the kickstarts today. And for Hyperion using the real sources and thus claiming to be the only real successor of 3.1 is a seller... at least for some of the buyers. They will not give away that voluntary.

Where did Hyperion ever support the idea of open source 3.1? I only know that Cloanto officially mentioned that as option
Old 02 February 2020, 23:23   #71
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafSch View Post
BTW Aros is much more than 3.1 or kickstarts

It is a full OS including components like AHI, RTG, network stack, USB stack

And as Wawa mentioned... the 68k branch of Aros would benefit from opening of the sources. But I do not believe that this will happening

Simply because you can still earn money with the kickstarts today. And for Hyperion using the real sources and thus claiming to be the only real successor of 3.1 is a seller... at least for some of the buyers. They will not give away that voluntary.
It is a full OS, in alpha state, that is not designed for, and does not work well on Amiga hardware. And the Amiga hardware has a lot of tricks/quirks and oddities that are very special and require a specific approach and not a generic one like AROS does due to its commitment on portability. That is why it suffers a lot on real Amigas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafSch View Post
Where did Hyperion ever support the idea of open source 3.1? I only know that Cloanto officially mentioned that as option
Hyperion has not been as vocal as Cloanto on Open source. They in fact communicate very little on all matters. It was its Director Timothy De Groote that mentioned open sourcing publicly, but he did not make any promises to then leave them unfullfilled for years.

Anyway, things seem to be happening:
http://amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2020-02-00011-EN.html
Old 03 February 2020, 01:07   #72
eXeler0

Quote:

Anyway, things seem to be happening:
http://amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2020-02-00011-EN.html
Interesting, soon we will know..
Old 03 February 2020, 09:49   #73
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
It is a full OS, in alpha state,
It's running extremely well for that, though.
And on some fronts it's even a lot more usable than the standard Amiga OS in my experience.

Quote:
that is not designed for, and does not work well on Amiga hardware.
While that is a factor on old Amiga hardware, it's less and less important for something with the speed of like the Vampire.

I think this will turn some heads over the next year, seeing AROS running well on it.

It only takes a well done good and modern looking distro, and people will want to use it.
Old 03 February 2020, 10:08   #74
AMIGASYSTEM

I'd like to remind you that this Standard version of AROS 68k (base Nightly Build standard) can also be started from a high-end Real AMiGA and has the possibility to map the Rom, this Distro is not compatible with Vampire unless specifically modified.

AROS One 68k: Test WBDock Fynny
Old 03 February 2020, 13:04   #75
Viceroy

Is it still possible to download this? I thought I already had it!
Old 03 February 2020, 13:24   #76
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viceroy View Post
Is it still possible to download this? I thought I already had it!
After the behavior of some Vampire users Here I've decided to suspend distribution.
Old 03 February 2020, 14:13   #77
Viceroy

:-(
Old 03 February 2020, 14:26   #78
grond

What behaviour in particular? A valid point was made: you only _claim_ that your stuff could run on real Amigas (and at the same time you claim it doesn't run on the Vampire). All we have as a proof is that you are running this in WinUAE which can circumvent a lot of hardware problems. You have done no tests with real hardware.
Old 03 February 2020, 15:00   #79
AMIGASYSTEM

AROS 68k will start from a Real Amiga if you use AROS 68k ROMs, if you do it with WinUAE you must do it with Real Amiga too.

About the Vampire AROS 68k Standard cannot start because you need to edit startup-sequence add Drive et..
Try booting from a Real Amiga This "nightly" AROS 68k for Vampire

I have not tested the real hardware but I trust what the developers write, on the review you Nightly Build you can say it here and reported:

The native version for m68k Amigas, or WinUAE. This version is binary compatible with AmigaOS. The archive contains a bootable floppy image which will kick the AROS rom

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 03 February 2020 at 15:09.
Old 03 February 2020, 16:45   #80
grond

Despite of what may be claimed about AROS, it does _not_ boot on A600 or A4000 (or was it the A1200?) because of timing-related IDE-incompatibilities while there are no such problems when using WinUAE. This is precisely what I am talking about. You _assume_ that WinUAE really is accurate enough to make the conclusion that, if it runs on WinUAE, it will run on real hardware. But it is not.