English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 05 January 2012, 13:27   #1
Graham Humphrey

So, I'd like to write a new Amiga game - what do you want to see?

Now I have some free time on my hands (not in a good way sadly) I'd love to seriously get back into programming again. It's been a long time since I sat down and worked on a proper game and maybe the extended break will have done me good.

Ideally, I want to program something that would be relatively simple to put together and maybe wouldn't take longer than a few months (I hope) to do. At the same time though, I want it to be a fun, worthwhile game that won't be earth-shattering but something that people can load up now and again and enjoy playing (like a lot of good PD games basically). Perhaps something we could play in the EAB/Lemon Super League.

The thing is, I'm a bit low on ideas and inspiration at the moment so I thought I'd throw it out to you lot. Perhaps you've played an indie game, whether on PC, iPhone, XBLA (or even a new title on a machine like the Spectrum or C64) - whatever, and it hasn't been done on the Amiga before, or you'd like to see a new take on an old tried-and-trusted concept. Maybe even an idea of your own you've dreamed up.

It doesn't matter, as long as it's something that won't be too complex to play (and hopefully to write). I'd be programming it in Blitz Basic 2.1, and could be either an ECS or AGA game, or (who knows) both. And I'd definitely need a bit of help with graphics, music, and the like, too (maybe some programming if it goes pear-shaped...!). I'd also regularly post WIP versions, and maybe a development diary of some sort, and really get as many people involved as possible - it will hopefully be a fun experience and something that anybody can have input into if they wish.

So fire away - all ideas considered but ultimately I'll have to stick with one to develop - but maybe I can incorporate and adapt other people's ideas into it and maybe my own if I get an imagination
Old 05 January 2012, 13:32   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

How about something like Invadazoid? [ Show youtube player ] I think game is simple but fun and I can not find something similar for Amiga.
Old 05 January 2012, 13:33   #3
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

How about a putty squad clone?
Old 05 January 2012, 14:03   #4
Dreedo

TERRARIA! No, probably too complicated.

Some form of transport simulator? Transport Tycoon style? Unsure if thats too complicated as well...

Multiplayer Lode Runner! :P
Old 05 January 2012, 14:06   #5
seuden
uber cool demi god

Sensible Soccer knock off, that can't be too hard. Maybe a rugby or ice hockey version?
Old 05 January 2012, 14:17   #6
Foxman

You know Fruit Ninja? For sure it is a game for a touch panel like ipad or iphone but i could believe that it makes also fun with the mouse too. You have to splash a lot of poping up fruits on the screen. But also bombs fly with the fruits and you must be careful.

An other simple and popular game is Angry birds and i think with less physic it is also possible ob an Amiga. You gave some birds in a canon ( in gernan katschie or steinschleuder) these birds you shoot on other creatures and you must hit them all to win the round. Its very funny and you cant stop play it.

Frogbert i wrote in the other thread. You have to jump from platform to platform (some platforms are ice, other moves up and down) i play this with my girlfriend every day cause there is a daily and totaly highscore)

All these 3 games i think are possible and very funny on an amiga.
Old 05 January 2012, 14:17   #7
diablothe2nd

any help with my game idea would be much appreciated! :P

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=62453

EDIT- plug aside, I'd love to develop/project manage a game... I can read code, just have no idea where to start when writing it. I've done a bit of 2 and 3D graphics in my career history so for the most part could splice a few pieces of artwork together for someone better than me to improve on

Last edited by diablothe2nd; 05 January 2012 at 14:24. Reason: more info on my situation added ;)
Old 05 January 2012, 14:25   #8
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Something innovative, something we've never seen on the Amiga before, like these:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ld48/ld22/index.html
http://jonathanwhiting.com/coding/traal/
http://noname.c64.org/csdb/forums/?r...&topicid=77655
http://armorgames.com/play/12409/one-and-one-story
http://www.fastgames.com/ninjadelivery.html
http://www.kongregate.com/games/Bgro...nal-happy-hour

Or any Tower Defense game.
Old 05 January 2012, 14:30   #9
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
How about taking part with the upcoming Lotus-game http://eabmobile.abime.net/showthrea...ewpost&t=62281
Old 05 January 2012, 14:34   #10
diablothe2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamiga2002 View Post
How about taking part with the upcoming Lotus-game http://eabmobile.abime.net/showthrea...ewpost&t=62281

it's shame you're only devloping that for PC. Think the OP wanted to stick with amiga?
Old 05 January 2012, 15:22   #11
Djay
95th User

Amiga needs a bejewelled game (on non accelerated AGA).... And a decent modern tetris (like a the ds/Xbox version)

A new game would also be cool... But whatever you do please add save able scores and achievements!
Old 05 January 2012, 15:29   #12
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
A smurf torture simulator.
Old 05 January 2012, 15:32   #13
CMcK

Isn't it time the Amiga had a port of rRootage?

Old 05 January 2012, 15:34   #14
diablothe2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djay View Post

A new game would also be cool... But whatever you do please add save able scores and achievements!
+1 to this!

Saveable scores are planned for my idea, but i'm thinking of taking that one step further and having a "publish score" option to put it on an online hall of fame for braggin rights
Old 05 January 2012, 15:39   #15
Gordon
Settler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djay View Post
Amiga needs a bejewelled game (on non accelerated AGA).... And a decent modern tetris (like a the ds/Xbox version)
Me too!

Also a mini golf game with decent graphics.
Old 05 January 2012, 15:42   #16
MrCheese

A decent Tank game - where players fire different missiles at each others tanks?

A conversion of a spectrum classic e.g. Horace and the Spiders?
Old 05 January 2012, 15:51   #17
sack

The Atari lot seem quite happy with having downfall ported to the Falcon 030: [ Show youtube player ]

I keep meaning to get around to getting it going on a stock A500, but if someone else gets around to it first...

There's no bejeweled? I've been avoiding doing that kind of game for a warmup because I assumed every man and his dog would've done one.

Last edited by sack; 05 January 2012 at 15:59.
Old 05 January 2012, 16:02   #18
ancalimon
Supernormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreedo View Post
TERRARIA! No, probably too complicated.

Some form of transport simulator? Transport Tycoon style? Unsure if thats too complicated as well...

Multiplayer Lode Runner! :P
Would be great to have on Amiga! I wonder if an Amiga can cope with it though.
Old 05 January 2012, 16:07   #19
diablothe2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancalimon View Post
Would be great to have on Amiga! I wonder if an Amiga can cope with it though.
that would indeed be a cool port for us amigans.

you'd have to sacrifice so much though... the min specs even for pc are quite high (needing shader 3 iirc)
Old 05 January 2012, 16:54   #20
deicidal
Registered Insane

A computer version of the board game Talisman, started writing one myself years ago but got distracted and never continued.