English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 31 May 2024, 19:57   #1
nezumi

Slow GUI

Recently I ran into that weird problem - its not only for this beta but also applies to it. It definitely wasnt like that before - WinUAE becomes SLOOOOW. I dont mean amulation itself - that works fine. But changing anything is options takes ages. Like literally 2-3 seconds of nothing happening after I click some drop down menu to change settings. Entering settings itself takes quite some time. Anybody has some clues what could happen? I'll appreciate help.
Old 31 May 2024, 20:23   #2
Mclane
Old retro god.

What version of windows might be a start.

System spec as well..
Old 01 June 2024, 19:34   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Moved. Non-beta related problems don't belong to beta thread.

Are you sure it isn't something in your system and now all winuae versions are slow? Nothing except dark mode support has changed in GUI.
Old 01 June 2024, 20:09   #4
nezumi

I made and update from win10 to win11 fairly recently. Haven't got that problem on win10.
Maybe its worth mentioning that I did update not clean install but all the plethora of software I am using is working flawlessly as it was before. Now I am not saying its WinUAE fault - simply looking for possible things I could check in order to fix it.
Also probably worth noting is that I wasnt every new version of WinUAE making new Amiga setup but simply I was replacing WinUAE exe.
System specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor 3.60 GHz
RAM 32.0 GB
RTX 4070

Maybe I should try scrapping all the old setups and make a new one from start. But any other ideas what could I delete, refresh... Maybe some ini file hidden or something. Appreciate suggestions. Like I said - emulation works great as it always was, just the GUI started to lag for some weird reason.
Old 01 June 2024, 20:12   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Check if any 4.x version is also slow? If it is, it is confirmed it isn't recent dark mode related.
Old 01 June 2024, 23:17   #6
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezumi View Post
Like literally 2-3 seconds of nothing happening after I click some drop down menu to change settings.
It's most likely the file history and some path pointing to a network drive which is not online at the moment.

Go to the paths page and click on clear disk hostory.
Old 02 June 2024, 12:04   #7
nezumi

I cleared disk history although I am not using any network drive but I wanted to try everything. Nothing changed.

So I have downloaded 4.10.1 and indeed I dont have problems with it... I have turned off dark mode in latest version but it didnt changed anything. So yeah gui is extremely laggy in latest version on win11 for me. Both with dark mode on or off.
Old 02 June 2024, 19:29   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Which is first version that is slow?
Does anything unexpected/different appear in log window when running "slow" version? (start winuae with -log command line parameter)
Old 03 June 2024, 09:21   #9
Coma3LE

I have noticed for a long time that if I run Exact Audio Copy (https://www.exactaudiocopy.de/) at the same time as WinUAE, the GUI runs very slow and heavy-handed. Switching between pages takes seconds. The emulation performance is not affected, and I haven't found this relation between any other applications. I couldn't say which was the first version affected by this. As soon as I close EAC, the slowness disappears. Maybe the same can be caused by other applications.
Old 04 June 2024, 18:00   #10
enigma776
Bringer of Death

Is it similar to this video I made when I had issues with the gui slowing to a crawl?
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 04 June 2024, 22:51   #11
Coma3LE

Yes, exactly like that and sometimes worse with WinUAE going into "not responding" for a couple of seconds. EAC doesn't even have to do anything, it can be totally idle, but as soon as I close it, WinUAE is fast and responsive again. I don't want to sidetrack this discussion but I thought that if one application can make WinUAE behave like this, maybe others can too, and knowing which ones could help find the cause.
Old 04 June 2024, 23:18   #12
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

On my side, from time to time, WinUAE can take up to 5 minutes to save a minor configuration change before giving the hand back, or respond very slowly while clicking on various menu entries. The longest wait is always related with the Configuration menu.
I have no explanation but have noticed that if I quit WinUAE, delete the ini file and recreate it, WinUAE flies again.
Old 05 June 2024, 00:17   #13
enigma776
Bringer of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma3LE View Post
Yes, exactly like that and sometimes worse with WinUAE going into "not responding" for a couple of seconds. EAC doesn't even have to do anything, it can be totally idle, but as soon as I close it, WinUAE is fast and responsive again. I don't want to sidetrack this discussion but I thought that if one application can make WinUAE behave like this, maybe others can too, and knowing which ones could help find the cause.
I am sure Toni said it was a memory leak when I had it but that was fixed many versions ago. I do wonder if there is some cross over with EAC and any optical drives which winuae could be using if not using scanning and its just getting hung up.
Old 05 June 2024, 17:58   #14
alanwall

slow gui

I use AmiKit XE on Windows 10 and winuae. And several times, more often than not when I change/add a config on the gui page, it takes a reboot of Windows to work. The same applies when I am running AmiKit
Old 05 June 2024, 20:03   #15
btp

Concerning EAC I remember it was using a custom SCSI layer to access the CD drives and most probably this can cause conflicts with other software.
Old 11 June 2024, 09:36   #16
nezumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Which is first version that is slow?Does anything unexpected/different appear in log window when running "slow" version? (start winuae with -log command line parameter)
OK, I managed to get that log going for the first time in my life and have no idea what should and what shouldnt be there. :/

Here is what it says, maybe somebody can see something weird:

https://justpaste.it/ebwb9

I tried everything but its all slow like on the video by @enigma776. The first slow was beta 5.3.0 but cant say for sure which one. something around 6 probably.

Last edited by nezumi; 12 June 2024 at 01:16.
Old 13 June 2024, 20:21   #17
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Unfortunately there is nothing interesting in the log.

If it takes multiple seconds, you can try this: keep task manager open with winuae.exe visible. When it hangs, immediately switch to task manager, right click winuae.exe and select Create memory dump file. (before hang ends!)

Email dump file to me or point to some file share.
Old 14 June 2024, 04:04   #18
nezumi

@Toni Wilen
With the newest, released version it takes about second, second or two so its enough to feel slow but not enough to make a memory dumb file. Thank you for trying to help mate! No worries then. I will have to live with that I suppose, not the end of the world. If it ever becomes slower I will be sure to make that dump file. For now its too short time. Thanks again!