English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 25 October 2016, 16:20   #1
DamienD
Banned

Deluxe Galaga v2.6C [AGA] - "HD install" --> "ADFs"

After reading Vollldo's thread: Deluxe Galaga v2.5 Fixed for A500 KS1.3 the other day I thought I'd take a look at "Deluxe Galaga"

In TOSEC currently there is an OCS / ECS version of v2.6C but not an AGA version

Furthermore; when I took a look at the above OCS / ECS version i.e:

• Deluxe Galaga v2.6C (1994)(Vigdal, Edgar)(SW-R)(Disk 1 of 2)[h Amiga Emulation Zone].adf
  • Deluxe Galaga v2.6C (1994)(Vigdal, Edgar)(SW-R)(Disk 2 of 2)[h Amiga Emulation Zone].adf
...it's a hard drive install put onto .ADFs much like the packages that I create

[plus the package needs 2MB Chip as files are extracted to RAM]

Anyway, searched on Aminet and there are these versions:

a) DGalaga26C.lha [OCS / ECS version released on "1995-09-28" and this is what's used in the above .ADFs]
b) DGalaga2.6cAGA.lha [AGA version released on the "1995-09-18"]
c) DeluxeGalaga_E.lha [OCS / ECS released on the "1997-09-07" and is the FINAL version]
d) DeluxeGalaga_A.lha [AGA version released on the "1997-09-07" and is the FINAL version]

So, I've now created a "HD install --> ADFs" package using d)

You need to use an AGA configuration with at least 2MB Chip & 1MB Fast RAM; though I just use a 2MB Chip & 4MB Fast RAM configuration...

As per usual; you can use this set with 1 or 2 disks drives...

This release is really for people that:

... Don't have a hard drive.
... Don't know how to extract / install etc. to a hard drive in order to play.
... Use GameBase Amiga.
... Have HxC Gotek hardware.

You can find the files I created in the usual places i.e. The Zone! and also on the EAB file server under the directory "~Uploads/DamienD/HD INSTALL --> ADFS"

Last edited by DamienD; 25 October 2016 at 19:51.
Old 25 October 2016, 23:13   #2
Vollldo

Good choice my friend, when i did read your thread title i wonder the the 2.5 one had inspired you !

Old 25 October 2016, 23:16   #3
Amiga1992

I thought the newest Deluxe Galaga versions supported both AGA and ECS, is this not right? Usually a menu pops up on boot where you can choose.

And I actually never really saw the difference between AGA and ECS graphics.
Old 25 October 2016, 23:48   #4
Vollldo

the intro screen are different, and if my memory is good the gfx/sounds are better in the AGA one.

Old 26 October 2016, 19:13   #5
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I thought the newest Deluxe Galaga versions supported both AGA and ECS, is this not right? Usually a menu pops up on boot where you can choose.
Are you talking about this menu Akira?

There's an option to choose the type of processor but not the chipset...

The files in each package are different in size. AGA version on the left and OCS / ECS version on the right:

Old 26 October 2016, 19:31   #6
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Does Deluxe Galaga not work from floppy anyway?
Old 26 October 2016, 19:34   #7
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
Does Deluxe Galaga not work from floppy anyway?
Yes, versions earlier than v2.6C and v2.6C [final] do

...but not the latest versions linked to in my first post as they are too large to fit on floppy disk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Anyway, searched on Aminet and there are these versions:

a) DGalaga26C.lha [OCS / ECS version released on "1995-09-28" and this is what's used in the above .ADFs]
b) DGalaga2.6cAGA.lha [AGA version released on the "1995-09-18"]
c) DeluxeGalaga_E.lha [OCS / ECS released on the "1997-09-07" and is the FINAL version]
d) DeluxeGalaga_A.lha [AGA version released on the "1997-09-07" and is the FINAL version]
Old 26 October 2016, 19:43   #8
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
The files in each package are different in size. AGA version on the left and OCS / ECS version on the right:
Interesting, I'll have to check this out and make a comparison. Thanks Damien.
Old 26 October 2016, 19:44   #9
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Ok maybe with something like Powerpacker and imploder it would fit.
Old 26 October 2016, 19:53   #10
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
Ok maybe with something like Powerpacker and imploder it would fit.
I believe the files are already packed / compressed / crunched. There's this in the READ_ME_FIRST file and you definitely need these on disk or the game won't load:

I'm no expert when it comes to packers / compressors / crunchers...

Very happy to be proved wrong though
Old 27 October 2016, 19:33   #11
DamienD
Banned

Been playing around tonight as you do...

The majority of files are already packed so no way (well, at least that I know of) to get this onto a single floppy disk

Old 02 June 2021, 16:42   #12
Fletty

Missing file

Good day to you,

I have here the file DeluxeGalaga_A.lha i.e. version 2.6C of the game from Aminet. I unpacked the file on my Amiga 1200 with Workbench 3.14 and tried to start the game. However, I always get the error that a file is missing. I have packed the library of the game into Sys:Libs. I have the same problem when I put an ADF of the game on my CompactFlash card, which also contains the Workbench. At first it was the missing unpackers and now this. I just can't get the AGA version to run. But my Amiga has an AGA chip.

Greetings
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OP1gsQLkO9.png
Views:	149
Size:	345.8 KB
ID:	72162   Click image for larger version

Name:	Z2lqwjT.png
Views:	140
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	72163  
Old 02 June 2021, 19:02   #13
hitm4n

Edgar and I created a Deluxe Galaga v2.6C AGA emulator version for registered users of Warblade. It was included with an older release of Amiga Forever with permission too. I wanted to make a 1 disk ultimate AGA version, but for the 2.6C AGA version its not possible. Well, we didn't manage it. We tried unpacking and re-packing all the files with xfd pack and xfd mash and quite a few other packers too (so long ago i forget all of them), but we couldn't get it to one disk. We had to include the readme, the original guide, our favourite mods, the higher res graphics and the voice pack etc.

So we released a zipped version for use in WinUAE with all files in a wokrbench folder to drop on an emulated harddrive. It works, and its the most complete and final version we released. Of course it was the registered version too. We did the same for Deluxe Pacman, that was a registred AGA v1.7.

This is the file list, maybe it helps find what you have missing...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DGFiles.png
Views:	147
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	72166  
Old 02 June 2021, 19:04   #14
klx300r

Thumbs up

@ Fletty

welcome aboard

Deluxe Galaga is my all time favourite shooter

I had the same problem and to solve it I had to put xpkMASH (2036 bytes), xpkshri (9272), xpkSQSH (2936)libs into the 'compressors' folders within LIBS
Old 02 June 2021, 19:07   #15
klx300r

Question

@ hitm4

mentioning WarBlade I lost the original on an old HD years back and purchased it again last year from the WarBlade website but have yet to receive my copy. Do you know anyone that operates the site nowadays?
Old 02 June 2021, 19:07   #16
hitm4n

Interestingly, the readme mentions the packed (or not) nature of the files and what we did with them for the end user.

Code:
 Deluxe Galaga AGA 2.6C Final. Registered Version.

By Edgar M Vigdal

Package collected together by hitm4n.
 This readme by hitm4n.
 ----------------------

This readme is just a short guide to playing this classic retro amiga game in WinUAE and AIAB.
 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Firstly, install the latest version of WinUAE (1.1.1 at time of writing) at http://www.winuae.net/
 Second, install the latest version of AIAB (r10.5 at time of writing) at http://aiab.emuunlim.com/
 Instructions for installing these 2 emulation tools are in their respective packages. Direct any
 questions about them and their usage to the relevant forums. NOT THE WARBLADE FORUMS PLEASE !

Now, simply unpack this zip archive (retaining folder names) to one of the AIAB virtual harddrives
 Start WinUAE and boot up an AIAB config file. Simple as that. Deluxe Galaga will be on the virtual
 amiga hard drive you unpacked it to, ready to play.

Now a few notes about this small package.
 -----------------------------------------

We cannot support this package. This is only provided as an extra for Deluxe Galaga and Amiga or
 Warblade fans who may wish to re-live some old amiga nostalgia or see where Warblade came from...
 If you absolutely must ask about this, then please pm only me (hitm4n) in the Warblade forums.
 If you don't have a clue about Amiga emulation then please don't pester me for long winded
 instructions. I'm not going to respond.

All the Amiga files in this package have been unpacked via emulation so that no extra libs or
 datatypes are required to get it working. Hopefully this means an easier installation for you.
 Some files were powerpacked, some were xpk'd and some were xfd'd !

There is a nice icon for the folder and the game, and the games folder will include an amigaguide
 file. This amigaguide file is the last one Edgar wrote to complement the game and has a lot of
 useful info in it regarding setting the game up, using playlists (for multiple music mods) and
 development "stuff". Please take the time to read it before asking questions.

The game is set up to use the standard Deluxe Galaga title tune and 2 jingles. However i have
 included 2 extra modules in this pack that did come bundled with some versions of the game. See
 the amigaguide on how to use these ingame.

Also included with this game is Edgars small workbench game entitled Tetriz. I'm sure you can
 figure out what thats all about :)

I think thats it. All credit goes to Edgar for this game. Without it there would be no Warblade.

Have Fun !
Old 02 June 2021, 19:11   #17
hitm4n

Quote:
Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
@ hitm4

mentioning WarBlade I lost the original on an old HD years back and purchased it again last year from the WarBlade website but have yet to receive my copy. Do you know anyone that operates the site nowadays?
I'm really sorry, i have no connection now to the guys that own Edgars code and games. 2 of his ex-colleagues bought his work from Siv, Eds wife, with the intention of continuing support, updating the games and continuing work on Warblade 2. The first step was to crack into all his files, reverse engineer his passwords etc. I think they managed that, but then didn't do anything else with it all.

They posted a message at www.warblade.as (load the page twice, it seems to fail at first, then load second time), they may respond if you email them. Your other option is, i feel you are entitled to just go download a torrent or cracked version. You've supported the game, go find it somewhere else.
Old 02 June 2021, 20:42   #18
klx300r

@ hitm4n

Thanks for the info. I've tried more than once to email the new owners of the site with no response
Old 03 June 2021, 00:43   #19
Fletty

Quote:
Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
@ Fletty

welcome aboard

Deluxe Galaga is my all time favourite shooter

I had the same problem and to solve it I had to put xpkMASH (2036 bytes), xpkshri (9272), xpkSQSH (2936)libs into the 'compressors' folders within LIBS
This helps :-) Ty for the help :-)
Old 03 June 2021, 05:37   #20
klx300r

Thumbs up

@ Fletty

happy to help