English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language > Coders. Blitz Basic

Old 21 May 2023, 13:33   #1
AmiNju

Prevent Screen to move

Hello,

when I open a screen (Screen 0, 3) I can move the screen up and down in the title bar at the top with mouse button down. Is it possible to prevent this? If yes how?

Best regards
Frank
Old 21 May 2023, 21:32   #2
Daedalus

Well, since OS 3.0 IIRC there is a tag that can be used to turn off screen dragging on a particular screen. However the Blitz Screen command doesn't give you access to those tags, and the tag wouldn't do anything on earlier OS versions, so you could still drag it on Kickstart 2 for example. To use the tag, you'll need to do it the "hard" way using the standard OS calls. If you're using AmiBlitz 3, have a look at the screen.include code, which contains a routine to do this. You can probably adapt it to include the relevant tags for turning off screen dragging.

A far simpler option would be to open a borderless backdrop window and do your drawing to that instead. Of course this brings its own restrictions because Blitz's direct-to-window drawing commands are limited and slow, but it will effectively cover up the title bar, preventing the screen from being dragged without using a hotkey. Or, for a variation on that theme, simply open a fixed-position window that covers the bar completely, draw your own title bar in that window and draw to the rest of the screen as normal. Using this method would also let you leave the depth gadget at the right untouched.
Old 22 May 2023, 12:27   #3
AmiNju

I'm not sitting in front of the computer right now, but is it possible to open screens where the title bar is pushed out over the top, so y < 0? I will test that tonight.

I have seen that NScreen offers these tags in the initialization. But I assume that they only work under Kicksstart 3, as you have already written.

Thank you Daedalus for your anwser!

*edit*
"Or, for a variation on that theme, simply open a fixed-position window that covers the bar completely, draw your own title bar in that window and draw to the rest of the screen as normal. Using this method would also let you leave the depth gadget at the right untouched." - this will I test tonight. Thank you!

Last edited by AmiNju; 22 May 2023 at 12:43.
Old 23 May 2023, 01:01   #4
Photon

+1 I have not much to add to Daedalus' answer. This behavior is built deep into the OS, and you can only countermand it by using the screen feature added, take over the OS completely, or do it by subversion (e.g. cover it up with something to absorb the click/drag.)
Old 23 May 2023, 20:27   #5
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

Is it possible to limit the mouse from getting to a point at the top to drag the screen? That would rule out any menus though.