English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 14 December 2012, 19:47   #1
Turran

HD not working in real A1200 but fine in WinUAE

Greetings,

Just curious if anyone have any idea what I've missed.

Got a 60 GB Seagate disk with a 1.8GB DH0 and the rest DH1.

Both partitioned with PFS3 All in One
Using Classic WB on DH0:

Boots fine in WinUAE with both UAE and IDE0 configurations and Chipset extra set to A1200.

However, when I stick in in a Amiga 1200 (kickstart 3.0, rev 1a Mobo) it does not boot. I can hear it spin up. Once its spun up, I reset but still it does not boot. It does NOT show any partitions in early boot menu.

I have another Fujitsu drive (40GB) that I configured some 6 months ago in the same way that boots fine.

There is a delay of about 2-3 seconds longer when I start the amiga before the "insert disc" image appears, with the HD installed.

Any clues what I've missed or is this simply a bad drive for the amiga?
Old 14 December 2012, 20:06   #2
demolition
Unregistered User

I've tried a few times that a WinUAE prepared drive will not boot in the real Amiga, despite it's booting fine in WinUAE. Last time I think the problem was because HDToolbox in WinUAE had set the wrong CHS values for the drive. The latest WinUAE should have this fixed.

Also run WinUAE as admin or it might not be able to get full access to the drive which it needs when messing with boot.
Old 14 December 2012, 20:10   #3
Turran

Hm, I'll try as administrator first (forgot about that) and then trying setting up the partitions on the real amiga using bootdisk.

Thanks.
Old 14 December 2012, 20:12   #4
Turran

When reading the configuration from the now empty disk in WinUAE, it reads the cylinders and the rest OK, but the name pops up as UAE-IDE. Is that something I should be worried about?

Edit: Guess not. Works fine now. It was either:

1: Running WinUAE as Administrator (although if this was the problem, would WinUAE boot from it anyway? Cause it did).
2: Switching to PFS3-AIO
3: Switching from IdeFIX to Toni's/Chris's 43.45 scsi.device

Now it boots just fine in the real Amiga. Did not even have to reformat or anything =)

Thanks

Last edited by Turran; 14 December 2012 at 20:55.
Old 15 January 2013, 17:45   #5
mojorific

I had problems with a formatted drive in my Amiga, and found it was due to the CPU settings I had. Make sure that your set up in WinUAE is the same as your Amiga (don't overclock or increase floppy drive speed)

Also, I seemed to have better luck if I had formatted my card in my Amiga first, and then transferred files using WinUAE.
Old 15 January 2013, 17:56   #6
demolition
Unregistered User

I had a problem once where WinUAE would boot up on my WinUAE prepped CF card just fine, but the real Amiga wouldn't. When I tried with WinUAE in admin mode, it worked on the real Amiga as well. I think the difference was that WinUAE read the parameters differently depending on whether it was running in admin mode or not. Since I prepped cards from WinUAE in admin mode, it has always worked fine, no matter what the filesystem was.

Edit: Obviously you'd have to use IDE0 for the best 'real' test as uaehf.device doesn't have the same problems as the regular scsi.device.
Old 15 January 2013, 18:19   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Also note that recent WinUAE versions don't have max transfer problem because it implements obsolete ATA-1 behavior that scsi.device assumes.

Run with -log parameter and check if you see any "Split IDE transfer" messages.
Fix your max transfer value if you see the message or you will most likely get crashes and data corruption with real hardware.

Or use my latest pfs3-aio which has workaround