mä vaan

Amiga web browsers

They aren't that bad.

Imean they surprised me positive way
Old 26 February 2002, 11:15   #22
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

'Eh?' - please note these few points:

- Most emulators (for any system) are free, because they are written by fans and distributed. The system ROMs are still the intellectual property of the companies that created them - just because the emulators are free, doesn't mean that the ROMs are too.

- This normally isn't a problem as system ROMs can be easily found on the Internet with Google.

- However, with the Amiga, there is still a company out there trying to use the Amiga name and they are quite protective of their kickstart ROMs. We don't want the English Amiga Board shut down because we did something so obviously illegal on it.

- However, we do swap Amiga games which are quite old - a lot of these companies don't exist and no-one really seems to care too much about this. It may seem like hypocrisy, but the only reason we supply games and not system ROMs is to keep the English Amiga Board reasonably safe.

- Don't assume that we all blindly use Amigas instead of PCs - some do, but others (like myself) are currently playing Medal Of Honor and played Max Payne a couple of months ago.

- As Twistin' said, the issue of how much you know and we know about computers has got nothing to do with the posting. Nor the issue of how powerful your PC compared to an Amiga is.
Old 15 March 2002, 10:55   #23
Rotr

A600 workbench install

Well I'm not sure if it's a good idea to post my problem here since seeing which way this discussion was going but I'm giving it a try anyway.
I own an A600 which happens to have a bad diskdrive, other than that it works fine, it also has a hardisk which contains a lot of garbage which makes it rather unstable. Now I didn't get any disks with the machine ( the guy lost them) but I would like to reinstall it's hardisk once I fix its diskdrive. However I fail to see how I can get 'legal' access to something ( namely the workbench and install disk) that I think I allready have bought the right for by purchasing the computer. Even if I do by Cloanto's plus pack I only have bought the workbench disk without the installer ( or am I wrong here?).
Well if anybody can help me out here I would appreciate it very much.

@eh? By the way my system holds a mere XP1700 with 512 DDR, KyroII 64MB and 80GB 7200RPM harddisk. Probably not up to your standards but good enough for me ( it emulates my old amiga nicely). Just in case you want to compare size!
Old 15 March 2002, 11:21   #24
Paul
RIP Friends

You can buy workbench 2.1 floppies from http://amigastuff.co.uk/ but it does not mention the install disk, so maybe you could e-mail to find out if it's included with the set.

Or try google.
Old 15 March 2002, 18:13   #25
Amiga1992

You need the 2.05 Install disk? I can hook you up with it by snail-mail, if you want to. Send me a PM
Old 15 March 2002, 18:38   #26
oldpx

Why do you need that disk? If you have HDtoolbox somewhere, you can set up your HD and install workbench manually.

Old 15 March 2002, 19:19   #27
Rotr

@Burseg

Well it's been several years since I've worked with an Amiga and even then I could hardly be called an 'insider' so if you wouldn't mind could you give me a bit more info on that. Really interrested

@Paul, thanks for the advice but I guess the people at Cloanto who earn a living by tracking down ROMS have heard about google and are quite capable of using it

@Akira

Thanks for the help, really appreciate it.
Old 15 March 2002, 21:11   #28
oldpx

HDtoolbox replacements may be found from aminet, with that you can partition your hard drive if you want but if you think it is not necessary, you can simply boot from your workbench disk and format the hard drive like any floppy disk. After that, copying the contents of the workbench disk to the hard drive will give you a working HD installed system.

HDtoolbox also lets you modify the boot priority of a drive but since you used that drive previously and can already boot from it, you can skip this step.

If you'd like, you can copy the extras and fonts disks to the HD as well. It's a good idea to create a drawer named fonts in the root directory and copy the contents of the fonts disk inside this directory.

I don't know how user-startup is handled in a 2.x system but it should be similar to 3.x

After that, if you still need the install disk, pm me.

Old 17 March 2002, 19:26   #29
Rotr

Thanks for the info Burseg.

I'll give it a go as soon as I can get my hands on some spare parts for the drive.
Old 19 March 2002, 04:19   #30
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Send a message via MSN to sarek2k
Unhappy my 1st post!!!

Hi Sarek2k here!

Codetapper knows me and a few other guys majic mushroom, dvs etc anyway i am posting 1st to tell you all to go a bit easier on a new guys such as "EH?" he didn't know the situation and legalaties of downloading amiga romz/workbench'es etc i ask you all now in all honesty 1st time you went to a messgae board did you all read the FAQ and join hell i know i didn't!

Also we have so much sh*t on net these days adverts after adverts etc anyone who wants to get summat just clicks through all the crap then when they get here last thing they can be arsed to do is read more than the already rammed down throat adverts!

Thats my view anyway.

not trying to start trouble but give newbies a break we have all been there even now i am a newbie here and don't mind admiting it! (anyone last time you BOUGHT a game did you install game 1st then read book when needed?)
Old 19 March 2002, 13:52   #31
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

And to add to that, anyone who doesn't read the FAQ or at least read the message board a bit to get the general tone of the place, should expect to be flamed. It comes with the territory. If a user can't be arsed, then he should be willing to accept the consequences of such actions. Just because it's all new to him/her doesn't mean that the regulars should have to hold the hand of every newbie who shows up with the same repetitive missteps. This is what the FAQ's were put in place for and it is pointless to dismiss a user's insistance on jumping in the lake, then worrying about his inability to swim.