English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 23 August 2018, 19:06   #1
xboxown

Issue with AmiFTP

Hello,

I have an issue with AmiFTP. One is that when it attempts to login and succeed in logging in I see nothing. I do not see folders, / root or anything even after it logged in. No matter what other ftp sites I do login with all correct credentials and still have this issue. I raised the value of stack and still have this issue. Can anyone help me please?!

Thanks in advance.
Old 23 August 2018, 19:18   #2
Muadib

Hello,
Have you tried to reproduce this with another FTP client e.g AmiTradecenter?

muadib
Amiga Raytracing Society
Old 23 August 2018, 19:29   #3
xboxown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muadib View Post
Hello,
Have you tried to reproduce this with another FTP client e.g AmiTradecenter?

muadib
Amiga Raytracing Society
I have another issue with AmiTradeCenter. My issue with it is this. I have installed Amikit Real 9 into my Amiga and I am using the latest PFS file system. It logs in correctly..I see all the folders and everything. If I attempt to upload to a server it works a little then freezes and nothing happens and I cannot even close it. If I try to download to my hard drive it puts the entire Amiga down and I am forced to power it off and power it back on again. I figured AmiTradeCenter is not working so if I can get AmiFTP to work then I am happy! If that failed in both ends are there any better AmiFTP like software for the Amiga?

Thanks in advance.
Old 23 August 2018, 19:48   #4
patrik

Which OS and TCP/IP-stack are you running?
Old 23 August 2018, 19:51   #5
Muadib

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxown View Post
I have another issue with AmiTradeCenter. My issue with it is this. I have installed Amikit Real 9 into my Amiga and I am using the latest PFS file system. It logs in correctly..I see all the folders and everything. If I attempt to upload to a server it works a little then freezes and nothing happens and I cannot even close it. If I try to download to my hard drive it puts the entire Amiga down and I am forced to power it off and power it back on again. I figured AmiTradeCenter is not working so if I can get AmiFTP to work then I am happy! If that failed in both ends are there any better AmiFTP like software for the Amiga?

Thanks in advance.
Yes ATC is buggy with long filenames and small files. I try to keep this in mind and works just fine.

I cannot help you with AmFTP, I was having too many issues when I was trying ftp clients out, so I gave up.

muadib
Amiga Raytracing Society
Old 23 August 2018, 20:00   #6
xboxown

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Which OS and TCP/IP-stack are you running?
Are you serious with the first question? U_U.

I am using roadshow.
Old 23 August 2018, 20:03   #7
xboxown

Quote:
Yes ATC is buggy with long filenames and small files. I try to keep this in mind and works just fine.

I cannot help you with AmFTP, I was having too many issues when I was trying ftp clients out, so I gave up.

muadib
Amiga Raytracing Society
So you are saying long file names causes an issue and files with small sizes causes an issue? I am going to try your theory today when I arrive home and rename file names and see how they behave. If it works like you said then my issues are resolved then.

I have one final question to ask. I am using sgrab to take screenshot of my desktop and it saves it with file size of 500 KB and file name length called screenshot.jpg. It uploads up to 64 KB (exactly..every time) and it freezes and nothing works. AmiIRC itself freezes (even if it had nothing to do with AmiTradeCenter) so I am unsure if these two programs conflict with each other.

Thanks in advance.
Old 23 August 2018, 20:13   #8
Muadib

Regarding small files, I experience crashes when I have many small files in my queue, one or two small files per queue do not create any issues but more than say 30 per queue crash the program.

As for AmIRC, I really dont know however those 2 progs should not have issues with each other. Nothing that I can recall.

Good luck!

muadib
Amiga Raytracing Society
Old 23 August 2018, 20:15   #9
Muadib

Quote:
So you are saying long file names causes an issue and files with small sizes causes an issue? I am going to try your theory today when I arrive home and rename file names and see how they behave. If it works like you said then my issues are resolved then.

I have one final question to ask. I am using sgrab to take screenshot of my desktop and it saves it with file size of 500 KB and file name length called screenshot.jpg. It uploads up to 64 KB (exactly..every time) and it freezes and nothing works. AmiIRC itself freezes (even if it had nothing to do with AmiTradeCenter) so I am unsure if these two programs conflict with each other.

Thanks in advance.
Hold on, did you mean AmFTP instead of AmIRC?

muadib
Amiga Raytracing Society
Old 23 August 2018, 20:36   #10
xboxown

Quote:
Hold on, did you mean AmFTP instead of AmIRC?

muadib
Amiga Raytracing Society
Sorry....what I mean to say is that AmIRC and AmiTradeCenter opened at the sametime for some apparent reason when I am uploading AmiIRC freezes. I am unsure and AmiTraceCenter freezes with it as well.
Old 23 August 2018, 20:42   #11
Muadib

That's strange, sounds like a more general issue.

Try with some other prog, like Genesis or Miami.

muadib
Amiga Raytracing Society
Old 23 August 2018, 22:03   #12
kolla
Banned

The issue is most likely AmiFTP not supporting passive mode FTP.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...ve-ftp#1699163

Simple solution - stop using NAT and put your Amiga outside of any firewall

Last edited by kolla; 23 August 2018 at 22:09.
Old 23 August 2018, 23:51   #13
xboxown

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
The issue is most likely AmiFTP not supporting passive mode FTP.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...ve-ftp#1699163

Simple solution - stop using NAT and put your Amiga outside of any firewall
K! You are hitting something!! My Amiga 500 cannot be connected directly to the router so it is hooked into my ubuntu laptop by having internet provide internet to my Amiga. Kolla you seem to have knowledge on this. How do I configure my Ubuntu in such manner that there is no firewall or in such way that my AmiFTP works 100%!!!?
Old 24 August 2018, 01:50   #14
patrik

Quote:
Are you serious with the first question? U_U.

I am using roadshow.
Very serious indeed. For example if you were running in UAE using the bsdsocket.library emulation, you would have to add usergroup.library from Roadshow or AmiTCP or else AmiFTP would fail to open it without complaining, but still try to use it with random results.
Old 24 August 2018, 02:22   #15
xboxown

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Very serious indeed. For example if you were running in UAE using the bsdsocket.library emulation, you would have to add usergroup.library from Roadshow or AmiTCP or else AmiFTP would fail to open it without complaining, but still try to use it with random results.
I am surprised you asked what machine i am using when I said I am using Amiga 500 and Amikit Real
Old 24 August 2018, 15:01   #16
kolla
Banned

Quote:
How do I configure my Ubuntu in such manner that there is no firewall or in such way that my AmiFTP works 100%!!!?
Well, I expect that to be tricky. I haven't really looked into what kind of proxy-support AmiFTP supports, I can check later tonight when I am home. I personally only use AmiFTP to upload/download between Amiga systems and FTP server installed on the raspberry pi built into each Amiga.
Old 24 August 2018, 16:14   #17
xboxown

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
Well, I expect that to be tricky. I haven't really looked into what kind of proxy-support AmiFTP supports, I can check later tonight when I am home. I personally only use AmiFTP to upload/download between Amiga systems and FTP server installed on the raspberry pi built into each Amiga.

Thank you so much! Because AmiTradeCenter guarantees freezing instantly when attempting to download to hard drive but is happy when downloading to RAM. Useless.

So if I can get AmiFTP working that would be superb!!
Old 25 August 2018, 18:14   #18
kolla
Banned

Looks like AmiFTP only supports a rather obscure proxy solution that was used at Lysator*, the computer club at Linköping University, Sweden and the student city network "Rydnet", during the late 90ies, and nothing else. As it is, I happen to have some contacts that were very active at Lysator (and Ctrl-C) at the time, so maybe I can dig out some information about this proxy solution that they had, so it can be reimplemented. Ideally though, would be to get hold of the AmiFTP sources, and add support for passive mode.

* Lysator, the university computer club - not to be confused with Ctrl-C, the other computer club at the same university, which was a _pure_ Digital Equipment Corporation enthusiast club, who were running VMS clusters etc, which no doubt is the reason why AmiFTP as the only FTP client on Amiga, has dedicated VMS-support. Funny enough, VMS is having some sort of strange revival on Amiga these days...
Old 25 August 2018, 18:24   #19
kolla
Banned

OK, I found some info... turns out the ftp-proxy they used, was also written by Magnus Lilja, so same guy was behind both AmiFTP and the ftp-proxy

https://www.lysator.liu.se/rydnet/Nyheter.html
Quote:
FTP-proxy (15 feb 1995)

Sedan ett tag tillbaka körs en FTP-proxy hackad av RydNetisten Magnus Lilja på Winona. Starta ftp med "ftp winona 3090" (eller motsvarande kommando, 3090 är portnumret). Ange sedan "användare@dator" istället för bara användarnamn. Om du vill köra anonym FTP mot LuTH skriver du alltså här "ftp@ftp.luth.se". Sedan är det bara att ange lösen/email-adress som vanligt och köra!
This is pretty much the description of a very simple proxy protocol, so it might be possible to hack together something
Old 25 August 2018, 18:28   #20
Muadib

Good work digging all this out, Kolla. Bra jobbat!

muadib
Amiga Raytracing Society