English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 07 August 2006, 09:24   #1
wakeupbomb
Amiga Collector

Best free gifts/maps/manuals...etc with an Amiga game?

What Amiga games have the best extra stuff inside the box? You know how Shadow of the Beast had a T-shirt, Frontier had the plot book and the galaxy map. Sabre Team had a map (I think). I liked Silent Service II with the keyboard overlay.
I love all the stuff that used to come in the big box amiga games, which you used to get without having to pay twice as much for the "collectors edition's" we have now.

Anyway hope this thread hasn't been done before as I couldn't find it.

I am asking this for my own selfish gains really as I want to get as many Amiga games I can which have extra content in the box

Thanks
Old 07 August 2006, 15:00   #2
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Send a message via MSN to sarek2k
Pirates had a good map infact you can't really play the game without it, also it had a good manual (the protection) and a quality box.
Old 07 August 2006, 15:24   #3
wakeupbomb
Amiga Collector

Ahh yes Pirates, love that game.

I think all the Ultima games had maps and other stuff in them. Any ideas what the complete contents of them where?
Old 07 August 2006, 15:37   #4
Hillsy_

Here we go...some of the best..

Ultima series were well presented with cloth maps and manuals.

All microprose games were a delight to buy. They had proper manuals, overlay keyboards, Reference cards, Quick Reference Cards etc...

F-15 Strike Eagle II, UFO Enemy Unknown, Silent Service II, F-19 Stealth Fighter, Civilization, F-117A Nighthawk Yes, I bought alot of Microprose games in my day..

SSI games, Eye of the Beholder 1 and 2, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Pool of Radiance, Champions of Krynn, Death Knights of Krynn, Dark Queen of Krynn, Secret of the Silver Blades etc... They were presented with manuals, Adventure Journal, Quest Journal, Reference Cards, very nice too....

If I can think of anymore I'll let you know..
Old 07 August 2006, 16:00   #5
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Life & Death came with a surgical mask and rubber gloves! http://hol.abime.net/886/miscshot
Old 07 August 2006, 16:05   #6
wakeupbomb
Amiga Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgarath
Life & Death came with a surgical mask and rubber gloves! http://hol.abime.net/886/miscshot
And that's why I love the Amiga
quality free gift
Old 07 August 2006, 16:49   #7
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Murders in Space had one or two novelty items including a packet of asparagus space gravy soup (cor!) that "real" astronauts apparently ate during missions back then.

Soccer Superstars included a leather Mitre football. Just as well as the game was complete crap!

Suburban Commando and Plan 9 from Outer Space had videos bundled with the games. Flight of the Intruder (Spectrum HoloByte release only) contained the book of the same name. Quite a few Ami games had bundled videos or books with them.

Of course, a fair few games also contained giant size posters, music audiotapes or t-shirts. For example, Platoon (UK release only) included a giant game poster, photo postcard of the movie cast, and a movie soundtrack audiotape of "Tracks Of My Tears" by Smokey Robinson (see Miscshot for scans).

Where known HOL does detail this kind of info. and includes scans (in Miscshot), so have a looksy.

Last edited by DrBong; 07 August 2006 at 17:46.
Old 07 August 2006, 16:56   #8
snarkhunter

"Leather Goddesses of Phobos" had a set of "scratch'n'sniff" caps inside the box, that were used at various locations throughout the game. I just don't know if any other "Infocom" adventures featured this little extra... by the way, I played the game, but never actually used the caps ! Anyone fancy the smell of rancid pizza ?!

Otherwise, all the Amiga games I ever purchased had some disks inside - what a treat !

"Barbarian" (Palace) had a poster of Maria "initials BB" (*) Whittaker inside the box. Only lacked the "3D glasses" to use with, I believe !

sh

(*) stands for "Big Boobs", I guess !...

Last edited by snarkhunter; 07 August 2006 at 17:03.
Old 07 August 2006, 17:36   #9
paranoid
Phone Zen

The C64 version of Autoduel came with about 4 tiny tools in a little pouch (screwdriver, wrench, a couple other things). I'm not sure if the Amiga version did or not, but I'd imagine so.
Old 07 August 2006, 18:49   #10
MayhemMaybe

Turbo Cup had a die-cast (don't know the scale offhand - could be 1:24) Porche 944 with decals on it to match the car in the game.

Got it at an AmiExpo (or World of Commodore) in Manhattan. It was the only copy they had and they gave me a discount to get rid of it since they didn't want to have to pack it up and take it back with them if it didn't sell. The box was a display box to make the car look like it was on a racetrack.

Old 07 August 2006, 22:42   #11
demoniac

Zork and sequels had coins, maps, and other tidbits which added to the lore.
Old 07 August 2006, 22:59   #12
Macca
Zone Friend

Nearly all the infocom games had something with them - I remember belly button fluff in there, some were even integral to the game such as detective...

President is Missing had an audio tape with it relating to the president being taken hostage which held vital clues...

Sure there are others...
Old 07 August 2006, 23:55   #13
ben111g

Cannon Fodder came with a free bullet. A silver one with the name on the side. One of the Dizzy packs came with five or so posters inside, i still have them somewhere. Although its not quite connected i found some postcards the other day that came with Issue 4 (i think) of Amiga Power of Mokey Island and Lemmings there were two others but i cant find them anymore. Now that im thinking about it Operation Stealth came with a poster for the copy protection and Cruise For A Corpse came with a map of the boat and a copy protection wheel. ooh Moonstone had a great poster too.
Old 08 August 2006, 00:13   #14
BlaCkAdDa
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to BlaCkAdDa
Any early Psygnosis game that came with a genuine roger dean print
Old 09 August 2006, 01:20   #15
Doozy

Universe

I remember Universe came with a set of limited edition postcards....

Old 09 August 2006, 18:04   #16
wakeupbomb
Amiga Collector

Just recieved Campaign and it came with two postcards and two posters
Fantastic
Old 09 August 2006, 18:41   #17
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayhemMaybe
Turbo Cup had a die-cast (don't know the scale offhand - could be 1:24) Porche 944 with decals on it to match the car in the game.

Got it at an AmiExpo (or World of Commodore) in Manhattan. It was the only copy they had and they gave me a discount to get rid of it since they didn't want to have to pack it up and take it back with them if it didn't sell. The box was a display box to make the car look like it was on a racetrack.
I saw the Porsche 944 die-cast on Ebay Australia earlier in the year. It looked quite nice and it would have made a nice little addition to my Ami games collection (already own the Turbo Cup game), but I wasn't about to pay $40 + postage for it! The auction didn't attract any bids. I should have emailed the seller after the auction ended and made an offer, but I was too busy at the time and then forgot all about it until I read your post. C'est la vie!

Anyway, I did manage to pinch a pic of the car from the auction (see below).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TURBOCUP.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	11798  
Old 11 August 2006, 19:01   #18
Zeewolf
I am an Amiga man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkhunter
"Leather Goddesses of Phobos" had a set of "scratch'n'sniff" caps inside the box, that were used at various locations throughout the game. I just don't know if any other "Infocom" adventures featured this little extra... by the way, I played the game, but never actually used the caps ! Anyone fancy the smell of rancid pizza?
Hmmm sounds interesting, certainly missed out on this! They used to make me laugh them scratch'n'sniff stuff they used to put with things. Hmmmm hopefully they didn't do the smell from when you had to take a leak? (or even worse, but I won't go there!!)

The only free thing I ever got was the Shadow of the Beast t-shirt that wakeupbomb mentioned and it was bloody huge. I think as a kid it nearly went down to my ankles!!

Would have loved to get my hands on more freebies.
Old 11 August 2006, 19:27   #19
thor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong
Murders in Space had one or two novelty items including a packet of asparagus space gravy soup (cor!) that "real" astronauts apparently ate during missions back then.
The predecessor Murders in Venice has some items too, although I don't remember what they are exactly, the box is at my parents home.

Grand Monster Slam came with a small silver Goblin figure.