English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 01 February 2002, 22:30   #1
Riempie
Amiga freak

Benefactor CD32 problem

Hi!

I recently burned the ISO of this game onto a CD and I tried to run it on my Archos Overdrive, attached to my Amiga. The intro works fine and i do see the menu screen and the CDDA tracks work fine too. But when I press start on the menu screen, I get a loading screen and the CD seems to hang. It does nothing anymore. Now, I don't know the real volume name of this CD, so I thought this might be the problem. Or maybe some files are missing or maybe the game just doesn't work on my Amiga CD-drive. Can someone tell me what the real volume name of this CD is so I can use an assign to test it? Or can anybody tell me if it works with my drive at all? Does somone else have experience with Benefactor CD32?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Riempie; 01 February 2002 at 22:37.
Old 01 February 2002, 23:02   #2
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Hmmm

Are you able to exit to dos, or do you have to reset?
Old 01 February 2002, 23:07   #3
Riempie
Amiga freak

I started Snoopdos in the background, but I can't get back to dos so I can't access snoopdos anymore and I need to close the scan procedure in Snoopdos before it saves everything to a logfile. Control Left Amiga also doesn't work, because the log-file is still not written then. All I can do is a reset, so I can't figure anything out
Old 01 February 2002, 23:10   #4
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

ok, try this

Use a program like FILEMASTER or NEWZAP or whatever, that will let you look at the Benefactor exe file (not the intro the game file), and look for a filename you know is going to be in there. If there are any special directory requirements, the cd root name is likely to be near.
Old 02 February 2002, 03:05   #5
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Probably a better way of finding text like that in a binary file is to use the shell command strings, which is a PD app I always use. The one I use is v1.02 (Sep 17, 1993) by Anders Lindgren, which I didn't immediately recognize at Aminet, but mine is probably a bit outdated.

http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/aminetbin/find?strings

This lists several more recent (and likely better) variations on the command. You'll be surprised how useful it is. And if you use it in combination with xfddecrucnh, dld, etc., you can use it to find passwords and other useful text in binary files. Sometimes I even use it to confirm games, like if I can't get a game to work in WinUAE, I can type strings >text.txt gamefile and (assuming I have already decrunched the decrunchable) I can get info on the game like programmer/gfx/snd, date of release, crack group, and often can use the text to determine if the game is in fact what the menu claims it is - very often the games on compacts have different names than the menus suggest.

Sorry for the OT rambling drift...