English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 11 December 2020, 09:24   #1
sneckburger

Pirates of the Caribbean & Monkey Island

My knowledge is that Disney own both IPs....
But they never did anything with Monkey Island probably due to owning two very similar franchises.

With the Pirates of the Caribbean past it's peak and the recent problems with the main character... Do you think Disney should focus their efforts on a new Pirate adventure?
I'd like to see Guybrush on the big screen.
I wonder who would be good candidates for the roles?
Old 11 December 2020, 10:22   #2
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

You're not alone, I wished they would do a Pirates of the Caribbean: Monkey Island movie I'd be completely happy with it if they'd make it a spin-off series aimed at younger kids and do the old trick of throwing in jokes that only adults get.

But Ron Gilbert said it best: Disney executives likely are completely oblivious to the fact that they own the Monkey Island IP.
Old 11 December 2020, 10:44   #3
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
You're not alone, I wished they would do a Pirates of the Caribbean: Monkey Island movie
Sweet Jaysis...NO! Is nothing sacred? Some things are best left in the past, and Guybrush & Co belong to the 2D era.
Old 11 December 2020, 10:46   #4
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

But they're not, Monkey Island has been in the 3D realm since the 4th game.
Old 11 December 2020, 10:49   #5
sneckburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Sweet Jaysis...NO! Is nothing sacred? Some things are best left in the past, and Guybrush & Co belong to the 2D era.

I understand your thinking . Game to Movies don't often work.
On the odd occasion they do though.
Old 11 December 2020, 11:40   #6
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
But Ron Gilbert said it best: Disney executives likely are completely oblivious to the fact that they own the Monkey Island IP.
I am sure this is not true.

https://lol.disney.com/games/the-sec...pecial-edition
https://lol.disney.com/games/monkey-...huck-s-revenge

I read they switched to an IP licensing model for games. So if RG wanted to make more presumably he would just need to approach Disney Interactive and arrange a license for the IP.

I imagine that he did and the amount they wanted was not-economically-viable.

Last edited by alexh; 11 December 2020 at 12:09.
Old 11 December 2020, 13:16   #7
dreadnought

Quote:
But they're not, Monkey Island has been in the 3D realm since the 4th game.
Yep, the 4th game, another proof why the series should've ended with #3 (actually, maybe even #2). It wasn't particularly bad, but the whole charm and character has disappeared.

Each to its own, but for me resurrecting old franchises is a bad idea, 9 times out of ten. From Leisure Suit Larry to Arrested Development, they're at best just bland, at worst cringeworthy. Better to go on and develop something new, and let people appreciate the classics.
Old 11 December 2020, 13:49   #8
S0ulA55a551n

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Yep, the 4th game, another proof why the series should've ended with #3 (actually, maybe even #2). It wasn't particularly bad, but the whole charm and character has disappeared.

Each to its own, but for me resurrecting old franchises is a bad idea, 9 times out of ten. From Leisure Suit Larry to Arrested Development, they're at best just bland, at worst cringeworthy. Better to go on and develop something new, and let people appreciate the classics.
I have not played them, but thought the Tales if monkey island had been quite well received
Old 11 December 2020, 13:58   #9
dreadnought

Obviously, it's my personal opinion. These things have many fans, eg Sam & Max is still going on (?) I think. I can't stomach most of them though.
Old 11 December 2020, 15:16   #10
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

We need to contain ourselves, the question in the OP was clearly intended as a fun "what if" question to discuss, see what it has derailed into already.
Old 11 December 2020, 16:29   #11
Matt_H

Around the time of Monkey Island 3, LucasArts was also doing some preproduction work on a MI movie using the same art/animation style. If there was ever to be a MI movie, that’s the design aesthetic I’d like to see. And since it would be animated, Dominic Armato could continue in his role as The One True Guybrush.

But I cringe at the idea of what movie studio execs and their marketing focus groups would do to MI if they actually got their hands on it, especially a live-action version. To the point where I think I’d prefer that they do nothing at all.
Old 11 December 2020, 16:44   #12
d4rk3lf

Hmmm...
Except from Simpsons (that I adore), and Hangover muvie, I can't say I find american comedies very funny.
The other thing is, most of the time, movies based on games are total crap.
The third thing is, Hollywood really sucks last 10-15 years.

Maybe if they would hire creators of the game to help on the scrpt, cast and directing all the time. But I am pretty sure that will not happen.
Old 11 December 2020, 17:40   #13
Fiery Phoenix

New Leisure Suit Larry games (Wet Dreams) also been really well received - purchased both on Steam, not played yet

First 2 Monkey games are excellent and I loved the updated editions with creator commentry (and ability to switch between new and old style) 3rd was also really good and looked gorgeous. Less said about the 4th the better. As said above, Tales looks great and was also well received but not played it myself yet

Anyway - isn't Pirates being re-booted by Disney?
Old 11 December 2020, 17:41   #14
DamienD
Banned

Yup, the first 3 x Monkey Islands are great.

I tried the 4th one back when released; what a pile of poop
Old 11 December 2020, 19:33   #15
Matt_H

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Maybe if they would hire creators of the game to help on the scrpt, cast and directing all the time. But I am pretty sure that will not happen.
I agree. That would be the only way it would result in a good product with the same wit and charm of the games. And I think you're correct that such an arrangement would never happen.
Old 11 December 2020, 19:37   #16
Matt_H

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post

I'm surprised at the lack of love for MI4 in this thread. I don't think it's as good as the first three, but it's still a pretty decent game.
Old 12 December 2020, 00:20   #17
lesta_smsc

Monkey Island is one of my favourite if not THE favourite game of all time!

MI 1 and 2 were great but I think when they moved to the 2D cartoon graphics in MI3 (CMI) I was blown away.

I think the CMI version suited this franchise much more than when it moved to 3D. The cut scenes alone showed the potential for this to be transformed into an animation.

There are many talented graphics designers out there, I wonder if there is any fan made movies?!

UPDATE: Came across this: [ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by lesta_smsc; 12 December 2020 at 00:34.
Old 12 December 2020, 13:08   #18
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

I'm pretty sure Pirates of the Caribbean stole lots of ideas from Monkey Island. Orlando Bloom was Guybrush, they had the undead Pirate captain and crew, the voodoo priestess etc. The only thing missing was the piranha poodles. lol.
Old 12 December 2020, 13:34   #19
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post

Generally also I think that 3D doesn't provide any extra value for adventure games and often just makes it a lot worse as control just becomes more complicated. So I was also very hesitant when I tried out MI 3D but I was positively surprised. While the 3D graphics didn't help it, I could still feel the story and the atmosphere from the others so overall I liked it.

The only other 3D adventure game I can think of that I liked is Grim Fandango. Again, great story and atmosphere.

Simon The Sorcerer 3D, on the other hand fits, in that 'poop' category.
Old 13 December 2020, 14:50   #20
Fiery Phoenix

Add Gabriel Knight 3 to the terrible 3D list.

Grim Fandango is ace, controls took some getting used to it, but it's rightly regarded as one of the best.

As the Special Edition's if MI proved, you can update and keep the original charm. I loved the special editions, recently replayed them too. Some out there puzzles, but the game(s) are so memorable you can forgive.

Even when I replayed it was the end confrontation with LeChuck in MI 2 I was struggling with. Grrrrr.

But Stan the used boat ) coffin salesman, Elaine Marley, etc. Great characters