English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 16 June 2015, 01:14   #1
JumpingJackson

[OSX] How do you insert floppies while emulation is running?

Once I have started the Amiga and hit F12 to change floppies, it only allows me to select ones I've inserted prior to starting the emulation. How do I select a new ADF file?
Old 16 June 2015, 01:39   #2
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

I don't think you can. The idea is to include all the disks for a particular game before you boot up your emulator so you can swap between them as and when you need to if your game doesn't support multiple drives.
Old 16 June 2015, 01:56   #3
emufan

there is a nice guide by Paul, The Green Amiga Alien (RIP).
it describes the disk-swapper of winuae and also talks about changing/insert a floppy.
for example:
[end] + F1 to inserts floppy in df0:
[shift]+[end] + F1 - ejects floppy from df0:

*arg* fs-uae - too fast again. if this doesnt work, maybe you can make a request for it

Last edited by emufan; 16 June 2015 at 02:02.
Old 16 June 2015, 10:24   #4
Jason H

Yeh, you can create a Media Swap List, then insert one of them. If you want to start a new Amiga game while FS-UAE is running then you need to quit and go back to the Launcher.
Old 16 June 2015, 20:59   #5
JumpingJackson

Thats a shame. Bit of a strange design choice to not allow it. I guess that is why he calls it Launcher. I'll request it.
Old 16 June 2015, 21:18   #6
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

I'm sure Frode has a very good reason for imposing this technical limitation. I'm not sure how the current arrangement wouldn't cover your bases though? You can add up to 20 disk images to the media swap list. If there's any software that occupies more disks than that I'm not aware of it.
Old 16 June 2015, 23:53   #7
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

i use my Amiga for productivity not just for playing games, so maybe i don't know in advance if i'm going to need to put another disk in, kind of inconvenient to have to reboot just to do it.
Old 17 June 2015, 01:57   #8
JumpingJackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
i use my Amiga for productivity not just for playing games, so maybe i don't know in advance if i'm going to need to put another disk in, kind of inconvenient to have to reboot just to do it.
This is how I feel. Its not the number of disk drive slots which is the problem, its switching disks without having to restart.
Old 17 June 2015, 11:27   #9
Etze
A3000-Fan

When I realised that I forgot to include the 6th disk of a 6-disk-installer in the media swap list (after installing Disks 1-5), I just made a save-state, put the 6th disk in the swap list, restarted FS-UAE and loaded the save-state. So I was able to finish the installation without doing it from scratch .

But it would be a nice feature if you could add disks to the swap list without any restarts....
Old 17 June 2015, 11:45   #10
MrGimper

I think anyone and everyone has requested this feature. It's one of the biggest "pain points". However I appreciate Frode's dedication and that FS-UAE is indeed free. But, it's evolved into something more than just a game emulator now
Old 17 June 2015, 12:24   #11
Jason H

This has never been a problem for me. FS-UAE has always been for use with Games. I have created a A1200 configuration myself with Workbench 3.1 installed on a HD file. If I need to run Amiga applications then I tend to boot into this config and launch them from their installations. This, together with running games from WHDload, is the way that I use FS-UAE.
Old 21 June 2015, 10:18   #12
jbl007

If you don't mind some compiling, configuring and all that hassle... just give lallafas fork a try. It was made to address this issue and it works very well:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=76800